Implemented Username Change Request Reason

NicolasZN

I'm quite glad to see Username Changes coming to XF2.2 - but already have a suggestion to go along with it: a field for users to indicate the reason for the change.

My forum is a Harry Potter roleplaying forum where a username is a character name, so they usually have to indicate why that character's name is changing.

Until this is an option, we'll continue to have to use add-ons for name changes. :(

Upvote 42
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
We get a lot of username change requests. We only allow it if there is a solid reason. And no malicious reason. Sometimes the member doesnt think things through when requesting a name change. or there is a deeper problem that needs to be addressed. For example a member is being stalked and wants to hide. Such situation needs to become evident to the staff so we can act upon it.

IMO a 'reason' field is necessary and without it the functionality is unfinished. Please be so kind to add this.

And thank you for adding the username function. Its useful to have.

I actually can't find a use case for this as each username is linked to an ID. If someone wanted to keep track of a user, all they'd need to do is remember the ID or bookmark the profile page; woody will always be 141, Ozzy 2527, alfa 63, and me, 187211. Whether you change your name from woody to steel, going to /woody.141 will redirect you to steel (or you can even put xxxx.141 and it'll still go to woody). The only way to prevent this is by removing IDs from the URL, like pretty much every other platform, and making it semi-permanent.

I just wish quotes could be rebuilt with the new names (a hell of a cron job for forums though, in which case, I'd make it 2+ weeks per name change unless a specific reason, and make the job slowly go through them as opposed to bogging down the server to change 1000 BB quotes at once).

A username change without an ID along with quotes being modified would ensure the most private transition from one name to another without allowing duplicate accounts.

I have my forum set that a member can change their name at any point for whatever reason if done in 7 days or unless they request another one as it's not a huge issue, reverting back to the IDs.

@frm - I did articulate the use case for my forum in my first post. ;) We're a roleplaying game. People can't just change a character's name unless there's a reason for that change to happen, and the mod team confirms the reason is valid. :)

@frm - I did articulate the use case for my forum in my first post. ;) We're a roleplaying game. People can't just change a character's name unless there's a reason for that change to happen, and the mod team confirms the reason is valid. :)
Ah, I thought you were suggesting some sort of anonymity with that name change too like CharacterX is now CharacterY with a reason... but they will always be CharacterX with the ID. I understand now. I believe it could be accomplished with custom development (as it is approve/deny) in 2.2 moderation or you could do it the old fashion way and just "contact support" for a name change.

At AVForums, I use the User Essentials addon for username change management.
It has a couple of good features I think should be included in the 2.2 core User name change functionality.
First is the reason for the request. Which is why I have replied in this thread. There needs to be a good reason. And a reason from the moderator for a denial.
The second is a limit to the number of times a user can request a change. Having a limit imposes more consideration on users before they request a change. Otherwise they could request a change every month or whatever.

Last edited:
The second is a limit to the number of times a user can request a change. Having a limit imposes more consideration on users before they request a change. Otherwise they could request a change every month or whatever.
We have that already, but it operates as a "minimum time between changes" kind of option. So you'd just change that to whatever you think is reasonable.

I'm quite glad to see Username Changes coming to XF2.2 - but already have a suggestion to go along with it: a field for users to indicate the reason for the change.

My forum is a Harry Potter roleplaying forum where a username is a character name, so they usually have to indicate why that character's name is changing.

Until this is an option, we'll continue to have to use add-ons for name changes. :(

The team has been known to add a suggestion to newly announced features in the past, IIRC, :) So you never know, with enough first post likes...

The second is a limit to the number of times a user can request a change

This would be great to see in the core software, for sure :). I have posted it as a new suggestion:

I see people create new usernames because they said stupid stuff, or just grew up and matured over time and want to dissasociate from that past. But changing a username, well I don't get it. All your post history is right there, just under a new name.

So what are the reasons users change? Is there some psychology I'm missing. Like even though the post history is there, most people don't go looking, so it is an opportunity to rebrand yourself.

There is sometimes a privacy element (not wanting to be found via their real name/normal user name) but often it's just because they feel like it. It's very rarely done, at least in our experience, to disassociate with stuff they've said in the past.

All your post history is right there, just under a new name.
There is sometimes a privacy element (not wanting to be found via their real name/normal user name) but often it's just because they feel like it. It's very rarely done, at least in our experience, to disassociate with stuff they've said in the past.
Then I revert back to this:
I just wish quotes could be rebuilt with the new names
If they were ever quoted with that name, it can easily be backtracked.

The username is not the issue; the ID being front and center is.

I saw somewhere a suggestion to use this to solve your problem. Basically search and replace disguised as a censor tool.

admin.php?options/groups/censoringOptions/
While that would work, it is not the optimal way of going about it if people are going to change their names constantly. One will have to censor it over and over, as they would have manually changed names too. And, what if their prior name was generic like, "grape"?

Top Bottom