User Upgrades Payment Solutions & BitCoin

beanfan78

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but certainly falls under forum management. What can you use to pay for user upgrades when your niche doesn't allow you to use PayPal, Stripe, BitPay, and other payment processors? I have found no answers in the last year of actually researching answers. I know that Xenforo doesn't offer any addons that don't use a corporate processor, but I am open to alternatives.

Watching the last Joe Rogan Experience left me searching the internet again for ways to fund my project. It's crazy that BitCoin has been around for 7 years and the only answer is BitPay. I am not a developer so I am not casting any stones. I am just surprised that this doesn't exist. Anyone else in this boat? I would love to hear other's experience.

...your niche doesn't allow you to use PayPal, Stripe, BitPay, and other payment processors
Why don't they allow it? Is there some legal or other issue with your content?

Why don't they allow it? Is there some legal or other issue with your content?

Discussions about marijuana legalization, politics, more NSFW topics and what not. I run a few communities and only one was outside the scope for the standard Paypal, Stripe, and others. I asked beforehand with their support to verify that the communities fall within their guide. Even Adwords has a very narrow toleration. My hope in this is to see if I have options. I want to take digital currency, and believe it or not, even Bitpay won't allow their service to be used. So I have no corporate processing options. So I wanted to see if anyone has cut the middle man out yet so people can pay right to the wallet with BitCoin without having to manually manage the upgrades.

I have searched all over the internet and came up with nothing. BitCoin and other currencies like Litecoin are coming. I strongly believe that cutting out the middleman is becoming normal. Other forum admins might have wanted a discussion on this as well. I don't want to have to depend on a company to allow me to receive money. Do you? Probably not so I feel like this is an important question.

This episode really got me thinking about this.

Edit: Funny enough, here is an example of why this is a topic we should care about. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/adsense-warning-message-received.117058/

Hmm, other than cryptocurrencies, basically everything is corporate-controlled (and even if you could process payments yourself, the entire credit card system is, too).

Maybe, as a stopgap solution, you could install a currency/shop add-on and manually assign points to users who send bitcoin/changetip/etc to your site's wallet/account?

You could set up a thing where if you get an email notification of a payment, it triggers some action that leads to an RSS-based registered feeds post on your staff forum, but I'm not sure how that could be set up in a secure way.

Why not use paygates and have a bitcoin addon developed? The basics are there. It only needs the bitcoin extension.
You can recoup the investment by reselling it in the Xenforo resource manager.

Maybe, as a stopgap solution, you could install a currency/shop add-on and manually assign points to users who send bitcoin/changetip/etc to your site's wallet/account?

You could set up a thing where if you get an email notification of a payment, it triggers some action that leads to an RSS-based registered feeds post on your staff forum, but I'm not sure how that could be set up in a secure way.

That's probably the best answer yet that I have heard of. It's obvious and I skimmed right over it. Thank you.

Why not use paygates and have a bitcoin addon developed? The basics are there. It only needs the bitcoin extension.
You can recoup the investment by reselling it in the Xenforo resource manager.

I absolute considered this. I read a lot over the last few weeks and this solution is a really solid deal as well. I appreciate the inputs!

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but certainly falls under forum management. What can you use to pay for user upgrades when your niche doesn't allow you to use PayPal, Stripe, BitPay, and other payment processors? I have found no answers in the last year of actually researching answers. I know that Xenforo doesn't offer any addons that don't use a corporate processor, but I am open to alternatives.

Watching the last Joe Rogan Experience left me searching the internet again for ways to fund my project. It's crazy that BitCoin has been around for 7 years and the only answer is BitPay. I am not a developer so I am not casting any stones. I am just surprised that this doesn't exist. Anyone else in this boat? I would love to hear other's experience.
This is something I have struggled with for two years and after lots of trying and changing things and working things out, the only way forward for us, was to get a merchant and then try to find someone to develop a way to use the merchant API alongside XF for user upgrades.
It's very tricky as PayPal is the only option unless you use another add-on here which does work for other digital currencies - but are not helpful for anything related to 18+ content.
Really is a case of a rock and a hard place.

We have a bank, a merchant finally, now need the dev to help us.
Good luck, as I said after 2+ years, only now am I making some sort of progress. (it's not cheap either)

It certainly could help a lot of forums by cutting out the middleman and fund their sites easier. Maybe I will have some luck down the road but I am certainly interested in figuring out what it would take. The end result could be very helpful for everyone. Thanks for putting your thoughts in!

I saw the other thread while searching Google the other night. I am surprised that it is not a popular request. I don't know anything about the DragonByte Tech. If they did, I wonder if they will use BitPay or if they will be able to make something that will be able to use Litecoin, Bitcoin and some of the top coins out there without BitPay. I will keep looking to see what it would take to make something. I will be checking back to see if anyone has jumped into the conversation here as well.

I saw the other thread while searching Google the other night. I am surprised that it is not a popular request. I don't know anything about the DragonByte Tech. If they did, I wonder if they will use BitPay or if they will be able to make something that will be able to use Litecoin, Bitcoin and some of the top coins out there without BitPay. I will keep looking to see what it would take to make something. I will be checking back to see if anyone has jumped into the conversation here as well.
When we add support for other payment options for our DragonByte Credits mod, it'll be using the [bd] Paygates mod which has support for multiple different types of payment processors :)

Fillip

Thanks Fillip! That at least answers that question. I will look for other options. I notice how little it seems that xfrocks takes care of his additions which leaves me without desire to use paygates. So no DragonByte, and no xFrocks for this. Anyone else have any thoughts beyond what's been discussed?

Great topic! Has any progress been made with this issue?

I'm looking for an add-on which will allow me to accept payment for user upgrades, but not use paypal or stripe. So far all I've come up with is bitpay buttons which I then have to manually enter the user upgrades which obviously is not preferable.

I found this add-on https://xenforo.com/community/resources/pember-professional-paid-membership-plugin.4214/ which does everything I want as far as automatically executing the user upgrades upon payment, BUT they only work with paypal and stripe.

IT would be really great with bitcoin integration directly for user upgrades. for Instant blockchain.info provides a free API to use!

Top Bottom