User Mentions Improvements by Xon

User Mentions Improvements by Xon 1.7.0

No permission to download
+1 for this! Would love to see the User Group Avatar as Mini Avatar with the tag.
I'll need to look into how the group image is stored to make this efficient.

Awesome add-on. Works great and helps users to tag the Staff or Admins for example, if they don't know anyone of that groups personally.
This is my own user-case of this add-on. I have a list of ~20-40 people that could get tagged depending on the group, don't want to need todo that manually :p

This is my own user-case of this add-on. I have a list of ~20-40 people that could get tagged depending on the group, don't want to need todo that manually :p

Those add-ons created for oneself are the best add-ons... :D Speaking of NUMBERS: What would you consider as a group "too large" for group tagging? I will just use this for Staff and Admin groups but out of curiosity I want to know. :)

Those add-ons created for oneself are the best add-ons... :D
All my add-ons are developed for my own use on Spacebattles or Sufficient Velocity.

Speaking of NUMBERS: What would you consider as a group "too large" for group tagging? I will just use this for Staff and Admin groups but out of curiosity I want to know. :)
Anything past a couple hundred or a thousand would start running into noticeable delays when posting. Especially if the 'email on user mention' feature is heavily used. But this a XenForo limitation, it is just tagging an entire user groups more easily let you expose this limitation. You can see this limitation with the Forum Watch feature with how there are options to disable it or limit in a couple of ways to reduce the number of users notified on each post in a given forum.

I haven't yet had a need to work-around this by pushing alerts/emails into deferred tasks and overhauling how deferred tasks are triggered. The idea would be to remove database polling, and use a Redis pub/sub style notification system to a long running deferred task daemon.

Last edited:
Hi I asked in the incorrect discussion last night. I have this installed but I am still not clear on how I tag a group.

@Colie you must first go to the group in the admin cp and activate tagging for that group. Then you can tag any activated group by writing "@" followed by the name of the group. The same as with single users.

@Colie you must first go to the group in the admin cp and activate tagging for that group. Then you can tag any activated group by writing "@" followed by the name of the group. The same as with single users.
I thought I did but maybe I need to do something else as well.
Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 11.40.00 AM.webp Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 11.40.07 AM.webp

I thought I did but maybe I need to do something else as well.
View attachment 125466 View attachment 125467
For each user-group that is to be tagging there will be the following options bellow the User Banner Styling options:
user-group-options-png.125468

I'm trying to use this to stop @ user tagging in particular nodes, and for specific users who are abusing it to annoy people, when setting 'Enable User Mentions' to 'Never' it still seems to let me tag other users - is this right?

I'm trying to use this to stop @ user tagging in particular nodes, and for specific users who are abusing it to annoy people, when setting 'Enable User Mentions' to 'Never' it still seems to let me tag other users - is this right?
I'm unable to reproduce this issue. Setting user permissions (or group permissions) to 'never' on a node works for me, for a group where 'Enable User Mentions' is set to true.

I'm going to need more information.

Can you use the analyse permissions tool to verify they are having the 'Enable User Mentions' disabled for them?

What other add-ons are you using?

I'm currently using the "Mini avatar with tag-add-on" to display a small avatar next to user tags inside posts, as such:

screen-shot-2014-10-27-at-3-57-21-pm-png.87574

It doesn't seem to work this this add-on (no image/avatar is showing up for tagged groups), most likely because there is no "admin" user from where the add-on can fetch an avatar/image. Could that be done? Or should I maybe ask the mini avatar developer about adding support for this add-on instead? I'm not sure who to ask really :)

This is only a minor thing of course. Thanks for a great add-on in any case. It works just as described/expected :)

@Xon have you had a chance yet to look further into that feature?

Other types supporting XenForo's user tagging will automatically support tagging user groups, but the front-end UI for auto-completing user groups will not work.
Is there any way to make this addon work with the auto-completing function? [bd] Tag Me works this way...but I like this addon for many other reasons, it's more than just group tagging

Is there any way to make this addon work with the auto-completing function? [bd] Tag Me works this way...but I like this addon for many other reasons, it's more than just group tagging
It has working auto-complete in a lot of places. For example; reports (via report improvements) posts (and supports tiny quarto editor), etc

This (bold/italic) is the part that confused me, not sure exactly what is meant by this part

User group tagging supports the following:
  • User profile posts/comments.
  • Posts/Threads.
  • Reports (if Report Improvements are installed).
  • Other types supporting XenForo's user tagging will automatically support tagging user groups, but the front-end UI for auto-completing user groups will not work.

Top Bottom