User Mentions Improvements by Xon

User Mentions Improvements by Xon 1.7.0

No permission to download
@Sunka this is a known issue with how XenForo has "flat" user groups (ie a group can't be a member of another group). Most of the time what people recommend is putting everyone in the moderator group or some other 'staff' group, which has it's own downsides :(

Do you get email alerts for mentioning yourself in a post?
Just installed, and wanting to test. Mentioning myself, but not getting an email alert.

I have 'Receive Tag Alert Emails' ticked @ /admin.php?options/list/SV_UserTaggingImprovements
'Receive Tag Alert Emails' permission is Allow for Registered Users
At /account/contact-details I have 'Receive email when mentioned' ticked

Also,
At /admin.php?options/list/usersAndRegistration I have 'Receive email when mentioned' ticked for Default Registration Values
And I've done SQL from https://xenforo.com/community/threads/user-mentions-improvements-by-xon.101527/#post-983847 to make this the default for all existing users.

Do you get email alerts for mentioning yourself in a post?
Just installed, and wanting to test. Mentioning myself, but not getting an email alert.
It is actually XenForo functionality where you can't mention/tag yourself. As such there is nothing for the email alert to be triggered form.

Also,
At /admin.php?options/list/usersAndRegistration I have 'Receive email when mentioned' ticked for Default Registration Values
And I've done SQL from https://xenforo.com/community/threads/user-mentions-improvements-by-xon.101527/#post-983847 to make this the default for all existing users.
Yup, that should work.

If you create a user via the admincp (but don't click save), you'll see the 'Receive email when mentioned' attribute is set by default now.

I can't seem to get this working. I've enabled the Registered User group with the Receive Tag Alert Emails permisson, I am in the group that allows Tag User Group, I queried the DB to set the value to everyone by default to checked, when I mention a gorup, no emails go out.

Using Pepipost if that makes a difference. It didn't when I was using bd Tag Me

I can't seem to get this working. I've enabled the Registered User group with the Receive Tag Alert Emails permisson, I am in the group that allows Tag User Group, I queried the DB to set the value to everyone by default to checked, when I mention a gorup, no emails go out.
There is a global option to enable/disable user tag emails

Using Pepipost if that makes a difference. It didn't when I was using bd Tag Me
Is this an SMTP gateway or custom code for XenForo?

There is a global option to enable/disable user tag emails
Drrrrrrr.

That was it. Working perfectly now

The one thing that always bugged me was the the mention email (Tag Me and also this one) does not include the message content in the email notice. Is there a reason for this?

I would prefer the email to say "someone mentioned you in this post below" and then include the content.

The one thing that always bugged me was the the mention email (Tag Me and also this one) does not include the message content in the email notice. Is there a reason for this?

I would prefer the email to say "someone mentioned you in this post below" and then include the content.
It requires rendering the content, and a bit of fiddling as by the time it sends the mention email it knows the content type/content id/content but there is no standard way to say 'render this message as Email HTML or Text' across all content types. Or even to locate the message text. Annoyingly.

@Xon
User mentions generate the mention email in addition to the regular message alert when subscribed to the thread and a new message is posted (double alert)

Is this intentional? Usually if the thread reply alert is sent, the mention is suppressed (at least that's what I was used to)

Is it possible to somehow set which groups are taggable?And who can use group tags.
If the registered group is tagged then that could be a performance issue as it will alert hundreds of thousands.

If the registered group is tagged then that could be a performance issue as it will alert hundreds of thousands.
It's not intended to work with very large groups, but I haven't had it fail yet on groups that are up to 250 members, which is puny compared to your 100K groups but...anyways

Yes via permissions
Which usergroup permissions should I use for a group not to be able to be tagged?(can be usergroup tagged)
Which usergroup permissions should I use for a usergroup not able to use usergroup tagging?(can tag usergroup)

I can only find:
'Tag User Group' but I am not sure which of the above this does.

In the usergroup permissions, there is a check box right below banner styling "Is Taggable" this controls whether or not the usergroup can be tagged/mentioned

Below that is "Is Private" which means only admins and members of that group can tag it

In permissions "Tag User Group" allows members of that group to tag any taggable group.

Also "Maximum mention alerts per message" controls the max number of users one who has the permission "Tag User Group" can tag. That's the limiting permission, it will tag X number of users, I believe in order of User ID, until it hits that limit. So if you have 10K users in a group that is taggable and you set that to 300, the first 300 get the mention alert for the group and the rest don't.

If you made a special user group that encompassed all staff, yes. But there is not a "staff" option that tags all those with "show as staff" regardless of their usergroups

Top Bottom