User Mentions Improvements by Xon

User Mentions Improvements by Xon 1.7.0

No permission to download
you want to hop on the board and try it out or want me to test it in certain situations for you?
I think I've figured out how to reproduce it now. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

Posting this code reproduces it;
Code:
[USERGROUP=2]@Registered[/USERGROUP] @Registered

@Xon is there a way to change the alert message from "Rambo replied to this thread" to "Rambo tagged you in this thread" like a normal tag alert would give?
The usergroup mentions append the phrase "tagged_as_y_group" to the end of a standard user mention alert.

Look for templates starting with "alert_post_" for the various post alerts templates and their phrases.

The usergroup mentions append the phrase "tagged_as_y_group" to the end of a standard user mention alert.

Look for templates starting with "alert_post_" for the various post alerts templates and their phrases.
it doesn't quite work that way. I tested a group alert with the only other person in the group, along with an individual tag. this person only received one tag alert and that was on the personal tag, not the group. if you look at the bottom alert in the screenshot, that was from a previous group tag where it states "Rambo replied to the thread" and not "Rambo tagged the group you're in."

2.webp

1.webp

User mention alerts should occur before reply alerts. Do you have [bd] tag me installed at all?

The usergroup mentions don't allow you to tag yourself, but this shouldn't be the case here.

Last edited:
User mention alerts should occur before reply alerts. Do you have [bd] tag me installed at all?

The usergroup mentions don't allow you to tag yourself, but this shouldn't be the case here.
That was a screenshot of someone else's account. Bdalerts is not installed.

That was a screenshot of someone else's account. Bdalerts is not installed.
Hmm. So Thruth is a member of the moderator group correct?

:edit: can you try and change the ordering of the mentions? ie user then group not group then user.

Last edited:
Hmm. So Thruth is a member of the moderator group correct?

:edit: can you try and change the ordering of the mentions? ie user then group not group then user.
correct, he is the other moderator. here it is the other way around. this time the group tag didn't show up.

1.webp

2.webp

correct, he is the other moderator. here it is the other way around. this time the group tag didn't show up.

View attachment 140039

View attachment 140040
It looks like the "Rambo replied to the thread" is from a different thread than the one you are testing.

A user is only tagged once, even if they are in one or more groups and is tagged as an explicit user.
If a user is mentioned as a user first; only a user alert is generated.
If the user is mentioned as a group first; only a usergroup alert is generated.

This may be a little unexpected, that it depends on the order for if it is a user or usergroup mention. This might need changing to be less suprising.

It looks like the "Rambo replied to the thread" is from a different thread than the one you are testing.
yes
A user is only tagged once, even if they are in one or more groups and is tagged as an explicit user.
If a user is mentioned as a user first; only a user alert is generated.
If the user is mentioned as a group first; only a usergroup alert is generated.
seems to be the way its shaking out.

This may be a little unexpected, that it depends on the order for if it is a user or usergroup mention. This might need changing to be less suprising.
agreed. i still contend that the alert message isn't ideal either. i think should notify people that the group was alerted and they were tagged as part of it. something like "Thruth was tagged as part of the Moderator group in x thread." or "you were tagged in x thread" as opposed to just "Rambo replied to the thread." the latter seems more like you've subscribed to watch the thread, not that you're being alerted about being tagged. doesn't make much sense to click on the alert if you're not actually interested in the thread itself.

agreed. i still contend that the alert message isn't ideal either. i think should notify people that the group was alerted and they were tagged as part of it. something like "Thruth was tagged as part of the Moderator group in x thread." or "you were tagged in x thread" as opposed to just "Rambo replied to the thread." the latter seems more like you've subscribed to watch the thread, not that you're being alerted about being tagged. doesn't make much sense to click on the alert if you're not actually interested in the thread itself.
It should be doing this, but it is hard to tell with your 2nd set of screenshots as they cutout the thread title so I can't match the alert to the thread.

With the first set however, the add-on is working as expected;

In this screenshot, the thread is 'arrested sodosemite vouyeur' (thread title), with the mention alert as the second alert.
https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/1-png.139985/

In this screenshot, the thread is 'arrested sodosemite vouyeur' (url), with you group tagging and individually tagging someone:
https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/2-png.139984/

It should be doing this, but it is hard to tell with your 2nd set of screenshots as they cutout the thread title so I can't match the alert to the thread.

With the first set however, the add-on is working as expected;

In this screenshot, the thread is 'arrested sodosemite vouyeur' (thread title), with the mention alert as the second alert.
https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/1-png.139985/

In this screenshot, the thread is 'arrested sodosemite vouyeur' (url), with you group tagging and individually tagging someone:
https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/2-png.139984/
here's another quick test. granted this is limited since i'm testing within the same post and thread, i'll try to test it with a different person and different posts later.

1.webp

2.webp

3.webp

4.webp

Seems a bug still exists, if I reply to or post a new thread and simply put:
Code:
@Administrative
I end up with:
Code:
[USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP]
However, if I then edit and change nothing then save said post, it will then link correctly.

**EDIT**
Upon some more testing, once saved if I refresh the page all links revert to plain BBCode, I can then repeat the process of editing a post with no changes to fix the links but they break again on reload.

Last edited:
@Xon so it seems this stopped working. I've tried tagging several groups today and none of them are going out. Small sample

1.webp
2.webp
3.webp
4.webp

this user below is even subscribed to the thread and he didn't get an alert about my reply, much less the tag group alert. something fishy is going on here

5.webp

For comprehensive help, I can offer my ad-hoc rates via Conversation. As a paid service, with AdminCP access and some way to update files provided, I will be able to troubleshoot this to a much higher standard.

Seems a bug still exists, if I reply to or post a new thread and simply put:
Code:
@Administrative
I end up with:
Code:
[USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP]
However, if I then edit and change nothing then save said post, it will then link correctly.

**EDIT**
Upon some more testing, once saved if I refresh the page all links revert to plain BBCode, I can then repeat the process of editing a post with no changes to fix the links but they break again on reload.
This is likely an add-on conflict breaking the custom bbcode (USERGROUP), can you try disabling add-ons and repeating this until it no longer breaks?

@Xon so it seems this stopped working. I've tried tagging several groups today and none of them are going out. Small sample

View attachment 140590
View attachment 140591
View attachment 140592
View attachment 140593

this user below is even subscribed to the thread and he didn't get an alert about my reply, much less the tag group alert. something fishy is going on here

View attachment 140594
I extensively use this add-on myself. Do you have any other add-ons you have recently updated?

I extensively use this add-on myself. Do you have any other add-ons you have recently updated?
here's a list of all of my addons. i keep all my addons current, so you can cross reference the resource manager and just go down the list. almost all of your addons are on there as well.

1.webp
2.webp

@Rambro I can't see any reason it should be working. Can you check to see if you have the per-forum user mention permission not configured? It should have a default value added to the standard registered user account. If this has been denied or removed someone then tagging wouldn't be working.

Top Bottom