upgrading / Templates outdated ? How to deal with that ?

erich37

I just upgraded to RC2, but I do not have the "Share This Page" showing up in the Sidebar.
It is probably because it says: "There are Templates that may be outdated. Click here to review them".

Then when clicking this link, I see "sidebar_visitor_panel" , not sure why ?
Maybe becaue I have the plugin named "Xen-TR" (Top Posters) installed ?

How do I update this template?
Do I need to click onto "Revert Template" in order to get the default template of RC2 back ?

Many thanks!

I have a thread on the site (and offsite) where I comment code changes, and which plugins are installed, etc.
After an upgrade, I revert the templates and spend 3 minutes copy/pasting them back into the templates.

If a template is changed between releases, i.e. from RC2 to RC3, and you have made changes to it, then it will be marked as outdated.
This is done because the software doesn't automatically overwrite those templates thereby causing certain functionality which you have added to be lost; it is an indication that the core code has changed and you need to take action.

Your reply makes perfect sense, but my experience shows something is wrong, possibly a bug.

I updated to RC3 the day it was released. On Tuesday I posted the following thread: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/outdated-templates-notice.12659/ At that time there were exactly two templates which I modified during my time with RC2. They were both EWR templates. I clearly recall reverting those templates, re-adding the modifications, then checking the Outdated Templates section and it being empty.

My RC3 upgrade was 100% complete on Tuesday. I have not performed any type of install, upgrade or re-install of the XF forum software since then. The only two changes were installed Flexile, and manually changing these templates yesterday. So SOMETHING is triggering these templates as outdated. If my description is accurate, would that be a bug which should be reported?

If the templates are showing as outdated in the Flexile theme, then it's possible it hasn't been updated for RC3 and is still using old templates.

Each template has a version number and it is changed when it is updated.

The PAGE_CONTAINER template for example was updated for RC3 and the version string is now:
PAGE_CONTAINER" version_id="1000053" version_string="1.0.0 Release Candidate 3"

Whereas other templates which haven't been updated for many releases still show as:
version_id="1000017" version_string="1.0.0 Alpha 7

If the templates are showing as outdated in the Flexile theme, then it's possible it hasn't been updated for RC3 and is still using old templates.

Each template has a version number and it is changed when it is updated.

About half of the 22 templates which are outdated show as RC2, the other half RC3. About half are Flexile, the other half are not.ACP-TemplatesOutdated2.webp

From what I can see, all of the templates are from the Flexile themes so my earlier point still stands.

Check the custom versions against the master versions and you will note they are all out of date.

why would any flexile RC3 templates which were installed after RC3 need to be reverted? Sorry for asking again, I am trying to wrap my head around this issue and I am missing something.

If Flexile isn't updated to "support" RC3, the installation time doesn't make a difference - it's still not been designed for RC3, so those templates may not be valid and up-to-date.

Which add-on are you referring to in particular?
Regardless, after reverting a template, any edits must be manually reapplied.

If the add-on uses the hook system then it won't be affected.

Which add-on are you referring to in particular?
Regardless, after reverting a template, any edits must be manually reapplied.

If the add-on uses the hook system then it won't be affected.

I was talking more in general. At the minute I don't have too many add-ons installed.

An example, the ezirc addon adds a 'Chat' tab in the navbar. I assumed that it inserted this into the template and that when the templates are reverted it'd lose this. However I've just tried and it doesn't seem to work like that. Is that because it uses the hooks instead?

Tabs can be added by add-ons via the event system (slightly different from the hook system Brogan was referring to, but accomplishes the same thing currently). So in this case, it's not actually modifying the template.

Top Bottom