XF 1.2 upgrading max user connections

Hello. I was trying to upgrade my forum 1.2 to the newest. Through the web broswer and i now i am getting this
message. It was going well until i hit upgrade step 19

I can't do anything. It's stuck on this. Help!! and now when i go to my website it says
An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

User admin already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

1. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
  2. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 685
  3. XenForo_Application->loadDb()
  4. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 922
  5. XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 953
  6. XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1481
  7. XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Session.php at line 236
  8. XenForo_Session->__construct() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 46
  9. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->_setupSession() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 304
  10. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 346
  11. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  12. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/vhosts/mywebsite.com/httpdocs/forum/install/index.php at line 18

I believe this is a limit in MySQL which is shared amongst all apps/users connecting to that MySQL server.

Contact your host and ask them to increase the limit if possible.
Or you may be able to increase it by editing my.cnf.

So its a problem with max user connections? I also got this error

Your XenForo installation is large. If you are doing a major upgrade, you may wish to upgrade via the command line. Simply run this command and follow the on-screen instructions:
php '/var/www/vhosts/xxxxx.xxxxxx.xxx.xxx/httpdocs/library/XenForo/Install/run-upgrade.php'
You can continue with the browser-based upgrade, but large queries may cause browser timeouts that will force you to reload the page.

My next step was to try to upgrade via SSH because it said my forum was too big.

So i tried it! But it's stuck on Step 19. I dont get any error messages. Just says Running upgrade Step 19.

It's been 40 minutes already.

Is it supposed to take this long? Im not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Step 19 is a post table alter, so that is a long step. (It will take less time depending on your MySQL configuration.)

If you're running the CLI upgrade, it should simply continue on as necessary, though you can look at the MySQL process list to see more details of what's happening.

Top Bottom