Unread Post Count

Unread Post Count 1.2.0

No permission to download
Not sure who you refer to but no, i wouldn't change any phrase for the addon to work? Why should I?

Sorry forgot to quote Volion. I only found out that it stops working if you remove the ? 'cause I changed mine and then changed it back to Whats New without the ?

Chris Deeming updated Unread Post Count with a new update entry:

Works with all styles and add-ons (hopefully)

• Resolves a bug which was counting posts in forums where "show in What's New" was disabled.
  • Resolves a bug which was counting posts that were moderated or deleted.
  • Resolves a bug where the whats_new phrase wasn't escaped properly meaning adjustments to the phrase (specifically without the ?) would cause the add-on not to display the count.
  • The above fix also makes the add-on more compatible with RTL languages.
  • Regular expression has been slightly adjusted so as to work better with all styles and add-ons and other customisations.

Read the rest of this update entry...

The board slowed down very much for users that have many What's new?'s threads (≈3k)... but on small/medium size boards It will happen rarely. In big boards can be a problem.

Maybe for large numbers can be a solution check only if there are more than N threads unread, and than output something like What's New? [N+].
And maybe the N threads to check settable in ACP?

The number of unread threads reset is controlled by an option on the ACP*, so if some of your users report slowness you can change the numbers of days a thread last "unread".

*http://yourdomain.ext/admin.php?options/list/discussionOptions

I read it.

I haven't been able to verify the slowness myself but one solution could be to reduce the amount of days appearing in What's New like you said.

I'm on a dedicated server and it's fast. After the installation of the addon I logged in on the front-end with an administrative user that I rarely use and every page of the board take several seconds to load. That user have ≈3k threads unread. To try I think you have to manually create threads via SQL query in a test enviroment, and then see what happen.

Reduced from 30 days to 15 and got 2000 unread threads => same slowness.
Reduced from 30 to 5 and I went to 800 unread threads => the speed decrease is noticeable. :(
Plus setting 5 days IMHO is to low.

For now I must disable the addon. :(
Some other user got the same issue?

I host with a host not known for it's stability or superior service, when I installed this I had over 3000 unread posts and did not notice a change in the performance of my site.

Thanks for this Chris and to those that funded it.

Well It's a good news. It means it's only specific with my installation. I'm on 1.1.2 version, can be that the problem? I will upgrade next week to 1.1.5.

Hm, I guess it's possible...

Let me know how you get on. Right now I can't think of anything to make it better. It's not the most lightweight query in the world but it does the bear minimum it needs to do to show the right data.

It selects all post IDs matching the criteria and counts them.

Moving forward, the idea suggested earlier isn't a bad one. I could limit the query to 500 results then display "500+" if the count is higher than or equal to 500.

I'm on a dedicated server and it's fast. After the installation of the addon I logged in on the front-end with an administrative user that I rarely use and every page of the board take several seconds to load. That user have ≈3k threads unread. To try I think you have to manually create threads via SQL query in a test enviroment, and then see what happen.

What SQL server are you using (MySQL, Percona, etc). What web server and caching is set up? Many variables can come into play, even on a dedicated server. Sometimes you may think it's a fine tuned machine... until it hits those big stretches. :D

i have over 3000 items unread when i install this. Is it possible to start the unread count from today (or make everything read upto this point)...else i can imagine it being a nightmare to have a large count being highlighted for everyone.

My board 1.1.4 came to a screaming halt after installation.. It worked as indicated but experiencing a severe increase in load times.. I had to disable it for the time being..

Jake indicated a bug in his nodes as tabs plugin that performs a similar task however i didn't dive deeper to see if they were related..

I think yeah - it's slowing down the forum. I'm not sure if that's true with the first version; but the latest version does have a noticeable effect on the speed of loading of pages.

Chris, if you want to try this out on CE; let me know. We can try it out with and without the addon.

Curious to know - if I install Elsastic Search - will this type of errors will be fixed?

OR - Could you just make it a number of 'unread threads', instead of 'unread posts'? I think that should solve the problem.

Could you just make it a number of 'unread threads', instead of 'unread posts'? I think that should solve the problem.

There is already an Unread Threads Counter plugin that show in the Visitor Panel in the Sidebar.. Can be found here http://xenforo.com/community/resources/unread-threads-counter.1783/ the link location is different but i have no real complaints however once i get Chris's sorted out i will be removing that one altogether, as i prefer to know how many posts i have unread opposed to unread threads. and i do like the balloon effect.

Top Bottom