Ugggg. Should I just put tapatalk back in?

Tapatalk back in or not?

• Total voters
Also if adverts are slowing things down - and they can be a total PITA on mobiles - can you maybe hide these for smaller screen sizes? Smaller screens = older mobiles, usually, so it can often be better to drop adverts for the people who most need to experience a quick forum. I'd never put adverts above usability. Without usability you won't have users to click adverts!

I'll be going through this same transition on my forum very soon. I'm migrating Ultimate Metal from vb3.8.x to XF 1.5 using the UI.X framework (which so far has been kick ass from a responsive perspective). I think I have around 600 or so users via Tapatalk, so I expect some backlash once I drop it. I understand the benefit it provides, but I don't like the trade offs of letting TT play middle man between me and my users. Hopefully I can calm users down long enough to give the mobile theme a shot and try to address any issues they have, or miss, when they use TT.

I would engage them directly (if you haven't already) about listing what they like/dislike specifically about TT vs. your mobile theme. And if/when you do, please share! :)

When I removed Tapatalk from a newer forum of mine, traffic dropped to the point I had no choice but to enable it back.

Was your theme nicely mobilized? That's surprising to hear.

Another thing I can't help but think on with TT users are, what type of users are they and are they big contributors/have value for the site. Do they support the site in terms of donation or anything like that?

Remains to be seen with mine.

Was your theme nicely mobilized? That's surprising to hear.

Another thing I can't help but think on with TT users are, what type of users are they and are they big contributors/have value for the site. Do they support the site in terms of donation or anything like that?

Remains to be seen with mine.

Running UI.X , so yes.

We have been "app-less" since November last year when we pulled tapatalk (dedicated BYO app). Since then it's been a whine fest at every turn. Even the bass players I play with say they don't visit nearly as often since the app is gone. They don't like having our site in a mess of other safari mobile tabs. They want a button. And they don't want a bookmark on their home screen either.

Traffic has been down ever so slightly this year over last year. I can't help but think that having a dedicated app in the app stores would be beneficial....

Should we put tapatalk back in? This is assuming they fixed the behavior that gave us 2,000 deadlock server errors every day...

Tapatalk sucks, IMO. Having said that, if your users want it, just suck it up and install it again. Users are what you're there for, after all, right?

Forums everywhere are dying a slow death--and have been for years. Why hasten the demise of yours by pulling a feature that keeps people on?

I'm still running the Tapatalk plug-in. Periodically I have to clear out the inevitable "mobiquo/avatar.php:84" errors in admincp. But so what? Life as an admin is full of tedium. The Tapatalk plug-in seems largely unmaintained, but I've come to expect no more from the folks that put this thing out.

Last edited:
tapatalk BYO is a waste of time I have run it for 2 years and it is a headache... full of bugs and getting ti to the apple store was a head ache...

I have now just gone with the standard tapatalk and the members love it :-) Need to encourage them back now but I think we are gaining pace... next year we will be 10 years old... so need to keep going :-)

As someone who relies on uploads of image attachments (40gb so far) why would I want tapatalk storing them for me (how generous until you want to leave and they hold you to ransom) or why have my members spammed with their crappy ads or unsolicited emails or basically compromise my server with their ****ty attitude to getting bugs and exploits fixed properly and in a timely fashion. I ditched it years ago and I doubt much has changed, probably new ways of injecting adverts that's about it. You know why the add-on isnt even listed here? it's worthless crap that's why.

I am very satisfied with Tapatalk , for the time being there is no app that can access it !

Speaking as a talkbass.com _member_, I'm happy with Xenforo on my phone and don't miss the old app at all.

I tried the forum I administer on an iPod Touch running iOS 5.1.1 and whatever Safari comes with that - works perfectly well, and just as well as it does on my iPhone 6s Plus.

-S-

I think Tapatalk is trouble and that the longer you keep it, the harder it becomes to get rid of it. You've done the hard part. Wouldn't go back.

I'm gonna have to revise my position here. One of my sites' posting activity is way down since removing Tapatalk, and I think Tapatalk has somewhat improved their app, support, and email practices. A lot of members really want Tapatalk back. So I'm going to go ahead and reinstall it.

I had tapatalk installed for a few years, and just recently removed it for security and privacy concerns. Several of my members want it back, and have threatened to limit their participation. The xenforo theme is responsive, and works better than an app IMO. After pushing the mobile version on them, they seem to like it. I had no idea about the xenpush, so I'll check it out. If they limit their participation, so be it. I prefer security over convenience.

Could someone please say more about "was your theme nicely mobilized?" I don't think we've done anything mobile-specific and I think XF seems fine on my phone.

Thanks.

-S-

Top Bottom