Tapatalk app alternative made for Xenforo and XF plugins

If plugins aren't included out of the box, or if the choice of plugins comes down to "what plugin has a base of users willing to throw money at crowd funded development," then so be it.

One way would be to have the mod author pay for inclusion. Most of the major addons seem to be paid addons, and the fee doesn't have to be terribly high. It would also offset development costs.

The biggest headache with doing an app like tapatalk is that you have to update the thing all the time, so its not a fire and forget kind of endeavor.

Frankly, I think it would be a big selling point for XF to do it in house and offer it as an addon service.

Considering there's only 3 developers and they are all working hard on XenForo 1.5 and 2.0, they really aren't big enough to 'break off a separate group'. And no, they couldn't hire developers to work on this, they'd need sufficient revenue in the first place to do this, not pay in the hope of a big return. Bear in mind only large forums generating a fair income would entertain paying $70 per month for an app service, most of us wouldn't pay this sort of cost.

forumrunner was purchased by vbulletin/internet brands for exactly this reason -- it is a business model that can work, and $70 a month is pocket change to have a 'real' app in an appstore. It was coded and maintained --as far as I could tell -- almost completely by one guy (ClemsonJeeper).

So while I appreciate that the core team is up to their necks in new development, I would suggest to them that this would be a good revenue opportunity, and a good method to differentiate themselves while growing the XF brand. And if capital is a problem, then maybe they could put up a kickstarter and see what they get.

But as it stands, without a full API, a 3rd party would have a heck of a time even attempting something like this.

But as it stands, without a full API, a 3rd party would have a heck of a time even attempting something like this.
I think a RESTful API is the first step, once that comes then it opens the door to a lot of new things that are commonly requested such as a blog and an app. Lets wait and see what 2.0 brings, I would not be surprised if an API is included.

I think a RESTful API is the first step, once that comes then it opens the door to a lot of new things that are commonly requested such as a blog and an app. Lets wait and see what 2.0 brings, I would not be surprised if an API is included.
i'll keep my fingers crossed that there's an API, it would be great if the devs could let us know if that's on the menu!

Guys you have to reply on the API thread I linked in my previous post in this way xenforo ltd will know that more and more people are interested!

Top Bottom