1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu Forums

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DRE, Mar 22, 2012.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Today I signed up to Ubuntu forums to ask questions since I'm setting up my first Ubuntu 10.04 Server and getting stuck at places that searching google has no answer for. I looked at their newbie thread by the admin and the admin explains why he uses vBulletin in this thread. That thread is closed but we are able to reply in this thread which seems to be a bunch of threads merged together. I've been thinking about adding my two cents because his first point is 'vBulletin has a good reputation for being secure.' That has not been my experience. I've been on lots of vBulletin forums that have been hacked before. Even my own vBulletin 4 forum got defaced at one point and vBulletin is always releasing security updates to cover some kind of exploit that was previously overlooked.

What would be some compelling arguments to ask Ubuntu to switch to XenForo?

2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I did a search for the term 'xenforo' on Ubuntu forums and only found two threads.

SendMail hitting spam folders
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1926292

Big Forums Changes Coming Soon!!!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10796596

Summary:

3. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Is it really worth it to act as an evangelist for change at a site where you need the information? Some people will not change until absolutely forced by circumstances.

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I haven't suggested Xenforo yet. Too busy trying to learn how to run a server.

5. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I don't think UbuntuForums will ever change from vB. They are a huge site and the cost of switching systems when, frankly, vB works well enough for them, seems to greatly outweigh the benefits.

chousho likes this.
  6. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

As more big sites change away from VB, other big boards will eventually begin to also consider it.

DRE likes this.
  7. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Think twice before doing it. I've suggested XenForo on one of the big vBulletin-powered forums and got banned. [not related to Ubuntu]

8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Then that is a bad idea. It sends the wrong message. I know what you're saying, but if mods/admin do that just because of the suggestion, then that means they are afraid of change and afraid to evolve.

The fact that they plan to move to vB4 despite the problems the software is having makes me think that the forums over there aren't educated enough about the problems with vB4.

And the fact that they think they can't move their databases from vB3 to xenForo solidifies this. There's an importer available.

9. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

I have to agree, especially if yre going to be asking for help from them.

10. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

It's not always a bad move to stick with what you've got. If it works well, your members are used to it and keep posting daily. Why risk rocking the boat?

Quillz likes this.
  11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

:ROFLMAO:

ChemicalKicks likes this.
  12. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

Exactly. I've been a member on Ubuntu Forums for a long time and vB works just fine there. vB4 may have issues, but I think the software will work well for them, and it won't seem that unfamiliar to its very large user base.

mrGTB likes this.
  13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

If you say so http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ubuntu-forums-hacked.55296/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  14. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

15. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

lol Always meant to ask, what forum banned you for suggesting Xenforo?

16. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

Well, that certainly leaves a funny message... lol, sucks for the users involved.

17. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

This is what happens when your ego is far too large for you to handle. Your rationality and ability to think properly go out the window.

18. karll

karll Well-Known Member

Sucks to be them. In fact, it sucks to be me as well, as I know have to stop using my favourite password.

19. rellek

rellek Well-Known Member

Get a program like 1Password and let it think up passwords for you. You just have to remember your master password and the program will fill out everything for you.

You don't believe how lazy I got since I used it :D

20. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Can people stop with the total spam posts and vb bashing.

Thanks.