Ubuntu Forums

Sucks to be them. In fact, it sucks to be me as well, as I know have to stop using my favourite password.

I'm pretty sure that vb passwords are MD5'd, then salted and MD5'd again.

It's likely that they got the hashes and the salts, but it's extremely difficult to work backwards to discover what your plaintext password is... that is, unless you used something stupid, in which case they can work forwards from a list of bad passwords until they find one that matches your hash.

Get a program like 1Password and let it think up passwords for you. You just have to remember your master password and the program will fill out everything for you.
Hmm, does it work across different computers though? Because I have a different computer at home than at work, and occasionally I use my wife's computer etc. But then I wouldn't want anything online either, as that can potentially be hacked as well, and then I would be in a worse position where someone could potentially break into all my accounts everywhere ....
I'm pretty sure that vb passwords are MD5'd, then salted and MD5'd again.

It's likely that they got the hashes and the salts, but it's extremely difficult to work backwards to discover what your plaintext password is... that is, unless you used something stupid, in which case they can work forwards from a list of bad passwords until they find one that matches your hash.
Thank you, that gives me some comfort. Maybe I can still use it then.

Hmm, does it work across different computers though? Because I have a different computer at home than at work, and occasionally I use my wife's computer etc. But then I wouldn't want anything online either, as that can potentially be hacked as well, and then I would be in a worse position where someone could potentially break into all my accounts everywhere ....
For example 1Password can sync via iCloud (starting with 1P 4, I think), Dropbox and I believe Wi-Fi. Your passwords are encrypted with 256 Bit AES using your master password as keyphrase. So unless you use an empty password (which I don't believe it's possible), your passwords should be safe no matter where you actually store them.
I don't know about other password managers, but I think nowadays it's very important to offer a possibility to sync data across multiple devices.

I use http://keepass.info/ - free & open source.
Oh wow they got this for iPhone and Android too??? http://keepass.info/download.html

Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 11.25.13 PM.webp

Top Bottom