Ubuntu Forums

DRE

Today I signed up to Ubuntu forums to ask questions since I'm setting up my first Ubuntu 10.04 Server and getting stuck at places that searching google has no answer for. I looked at their newbie thread by the admin and the admin explains why he uses vBulletin in this thread. That thread is closed but we are able to reply in this thread which seems to be a bunch of threads merged together. I've been thinking about adding my two cents because his first point is 'vBulletin has a good reputation for being secure.' That has not been my experience. I've been on lots of vBulletin forums that have been hacked before. Even my own vBulletin 4 forum got defaced at one point and vBulletin is always releasing security updates to cover some kind of exploit that was previously overlooked.

What would be some compelling arguments to ask Ubuntu to switch to XenForo?

I did a search for the term 'xenforo' on Ubuntu forums and only found two threads.

SendMail hitting spam folders
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1926292

Big Forums Changes Coming Soon!!!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10796596

Summary:

Technoviking said:
We're switching to vB4
ranjank said:
After Kier and Mike left Vbulletin and started xenForo, Vbulletin is loosing its popularity. XenForo is a very good alternative of Vbulletin. It has very good social network integration too!
Technoviking said:
If we could ever switch from vBulletin, it would be to an open source solution. But I don't ever see that happening.
ELD said:
Would have thought you would switch away from VBulletin considering the constant security issues they put out. XenForo is the much more up to date (and cheaper!) option, made by the originals from VBulletin too so they know what they are doing.
ikt said:
I am seeing maybe potential issues already? Is there a public testing place where we can get in on the action early to report any issues?
RJ12 said:
There not switching because there is no way of moving all of the information from the databases to another platform.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Is it really worth it to act as an evangelist for change at a site where you need the information? Some people will not change until absolutely forced by circumstances.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Is it really worth it to act as an evangelist for change at a site where you need the information? Some people will not change until absolutely forced by circumstances.
I haven't suggested Xenforo yet. Too busy trying to learn how to run a server.

I don't think UbuntuForums will ever change from vB. They are a huge site and the cost of switching systems when, frankly, vB works well enough for them, seems to greatly outweigh the benefits.

Think twice before doing it. I've suggested XenForo on one of the big vBulletin-powered forums and got banned. [not related to Ubuntu]
Then that is a bad idea. It sends the wrong message. I know what you're saying, but if mods/admin do that just because of the suggestion, then that means they are afraid of change and afraid to evolve.

The fact that they plan to move to vB4 despite the problems the software is having makes me think that the forums over there aren't educated enough about the problems with vB4.

And the fact that they think they can't move their databases from vB3 to xenForo solidifies this. There's an importer available.

Then that is a bad idea. It sends the wrong message. I know what you're saying, but if mods/admin do that just because of the suggestion, then that means they are afraid of change and afraid to evolve.

It's not always a bad move to stick with what you've got. If it works well, your members are used to it and keep posting daily. Why risk rocking the boat?

It's not always a bad move to stick with what you've got. If it works well, your members are used to it and keep posting daily. Why risk rocking the boat?
Exactly. I've been a member on Ubuntu Forums for a long time and vB works just fine there. vB4 may have issues, but I think the software will work well for them, and it won't seem that unfamiliar to its very large user base.

This is what happens when your ego is far too large for you to handle. Your rationality and ability to think properly go out the window.

Sucks to be them. In fact, it sucks to be me as well, as I know have to stop using my favourite password.
Get a program like 1Password and let it think up passwords for you. You just have to remember your master password and the program will fill out everything for you.

You don't believe how lazy I got since I used it :D

Top Bottom