Question on Categories, Forums and Threads

Merlin07

I am by no means a coder. I know a few basic things, modding in games etc, and what they sort of mean. With that said I figured Xenforo would have been ok for someone like me but I realized quick lot of the wording is very confusing and doesn't explain what I thought it explained especially in customizing colors, and names of blocks and content that don't really help me understand what Im changing (Yes, I am trying to learn). Anyways.

I know what Categories are, and under Categories are "Forums." Under Forums you can post Threads and under there people can continually post and reply or quote whatever. I guess my question is this:

Let's say I made a Category called "General" and Under General I have several diff types of Forums. One being "Music Posts" where people can go and post what they're listening to. Who cares what for. Anyways, I noticed that there's no way to just click on the forum and start posting, You have to start a thread which kind of adds several extra clicks just to see what people are listening to. Is there ANYWAY to just go into the forum and posts are visible without having to start threads?

I am not sure If I am explaining that properly.

I'd even be ok with making a thread where it says to Post your music here, but even with that I can't stop others from posting more Threads in that forum. If I do it stays closed and nobody can post anything not even within the thread I created within that forum xD. Basically I want to be able to Post things without threading if that makes sense. There are a lot of Forums that use XenoForo and somehow they have that ability. It's Category>Forum>Posting is what I am looking for Instead of the current Category>Forum>Thread>Post

You can have just one thread in a forum and set permissions so people can reply, but not post a new thread.

So for example you set their permissions like that, you start the thread what are you listening to

You can have just one thread in a forum and set permissions so people can reply, but not post a new thread.

So for example you set their permissions like that, you start the thread what are you listening to

Ok, I'll have to tinker with it :unsure:

You can set a usergroup permission per forum (Node permissions).

You could bypass the need to click into (1) forum and (2) the thread, either by having the navigation link straight to the thread, or (if it's the only thread in a forum) you could have a redirect from the forum going straight into that one big thread.

Last edited:
You can set a usergroup permission per forum (Node permissions). You could bypass the need to click into forum then thread, either by having the navigation link straight to the thread, or (if it's the only thread in a forum) you could have a redirect from the forum going straight into that one big thread.

Last bit sounds as close as I'm going to get. Looks like I have a lot to figure out

You can set a usergroup permission per forum (Node permissions).

You could bypass the need to click into (1) forum and (2) the thread, either by having the navigation link straight to the thread, or (if it's the only thread in a forum) you could have a redirect from the forum going straight into that one big thread.
This might be what I need to do.

This might be what I need to do.
Another way is to not show the form in the node list (it's a setting within the forum/node settings)
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 18.09.27.webp

but then create a link forum which shows in the forum list and links direct to the thread.

Many different ways to achieve this.

Top Bottom