Fixed Title case inconsistency with Log in and Sign Up buttons

I'm not sure if it's a UK vs US English thing per se, though there are varying rules with each. Prepositions are often not capitalized in title case, though this comes across more as a compound verb to me.

Anyway, "Log In" does look pretty bad IMO, due to the sans serif font. Even "Sign Up" looks a little off, so we've actually just standardized with "Sign up".

Prepositions are often not capitalized in title case, though this comes across more as a compound verb to me.

Anyway, "Log In" does look pretty bad IMO, due to the sans serif font. Even "Sign Up" looks a little off, so we've actually just standardized with "Sign up".

Well, unless they're at the beginning or end of the title, obviously. xD

In any case, doesn't having Log in and Sign up make more inconsistency due to the other buttons, such as Post Reply? Everyone has different opinions, of course, but I personally think Log In and Sign Up look okay. For me, prepositions only look weird capitalized if they're in the middle of the title and not the beginning or end.

Except that "log in" and "login" mean two different things.

I'm going to "log in" on XenForo using my "login" credentials.
Which is why the FB, Google and Twitter buttons are wrong and why I've changed the phrases for those too :D
Personally, no company I've ever worked for had "Log in" versus "Login" in our style guides (of the companies that even have style guides that is). To me "Log in" (or "Log In") looks funny.

But Brogan does make a point about consistency. Whatever it is called or named, it should be so universally within XF.

Login is a noun.
It doesn't make sense, nor is it grammatically correct, to use it in that context.
But yet it is used everyday in a bunch of different places in exactly that context. ;)

EDIT: It is also likely why "Sign In" is a popular alternative.

Personally, no company I've ever worked for had "Log in" versus "Login" in our style guides (of the companies that even have style guides that is). To me "Log in" (or "Log In") looks funny.

But Brogan does make a point about consistency. Whatever it is called or named, it should be so universally within XF.
Mine does. ;) But there was a big long email chain where we argued about it, over nothing.

Mine does. ;) But there was a big long email chain where we argued about it, over nothing.

People will argue over anything. ;) I've argued with people on other forums who say things like "my group have awesome members" is correct, whereas I and many others say "my group has awesome members" is correct because you're going by the word group, which is singular in this case.

:D

Sorry about that...
While it is interesting reading it won't reverse 30~ years of acclimation to it nor will it have any affect on the places where it is being used. I just find it funny that people really get worked up over it when it's obvious that people use it both ways. The next time we have a standards meeting here at our shop I think I'll throw "Login versus Log In" into the pot to see what the results are. :D

(And, while writing this, it made me wonder if anybody under a certain age still uses the word "shop" to refer to an IT organization. I suspect this would be a good place for the :oldman: smiley.)

I've decided that, for our forum, I will just go ahead and do what @Chris Deeming mentioned and not only change every instance of "log in" to "authenticate," but take it one step further by changing every instance of "sign up" to "register."

The only thing I wonder is if most people know what "authenticate" means.

Top Bottom