1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titanic, after the collision

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kyrgyz, Sep 23, 2010.

1. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

I remember being fascinated by the story of RMS Titanic's sinking thanks to Robert Ballard and James Cameron. I've seen the movie a couple of times; but I don't remember how the after-collision was portrayed in the film. Reuter's article now claims that the ship was sunk by steering mistake and sped up by owner's decision to continue sailing.

I found one of the comments to the article to be interesting and worth posting here:
  2. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

I dove with James Cameron to see the Titanic. It was just a'ight.
  3. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

It sank.
  4. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

You gotta be drunk on warm pepsi to say that. :D
  5. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Nice! :D
    I meant details like moving of Titanic after collision and Quartermaster Hitchens's steering to left or right before collision.
  6. John

John Well-Known Member

EQnoble likes this.
  7. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Wow. They have a close-to-life-size model of Titanic.
    Did you know that the founder of Macy's was on that ship? I met a guy whose grandmother was on it too and survived.
  8. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

Well for that matter they were so haphazard when it came to constructing the ship they were sealing the ship sections and monster pipe sections with the workers inside and men were told (as the stories go, I don't know I wasn't there) to ignore the sounds they can't afford to open them. Haste makes waste and this timeless tale is just a scrubbed up version of the truth in my mind. The ship wasn't built to be an icebreaker by nature and they hurried everything PPPPPP ( Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance ). To blame it on a captain who couldn't see in the light available and with a ship that the sections that flooded not being able to lockout and waterseal would be kinda pissing on his watery grave...he really couldn't do a thing...and after that he did what a REAL captain would do ...If another man is left on the ship so is he , A real captain surrenders no-one his ship and sinks to the ocean with it. He died with honor and no-one can take that from him.
    anotheralias likes this.
  9. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but that reply was just so funny.....
  10. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

My bad sorry.

As I recall they didn't show anything about Titanic moving again or turning the wrong way.

Mind you they didn't portray it very accurately, from all accounts Smith done is best for the passengers and crew, they portrayed him as a coward.

If I hadn't posted it someone else would have.
  11. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

kyrgyz you almost had to hand in your man card!!!! Have edited the post to how it was meant to read, got your back covered Bro ;)
  12. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Haha. :D No, back then I'd go to any English-language movie. So, I drugged myself to the movie theatre. I had to see it twice to understand dialogues.
  13. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I now have to wipe diet coke from my screen.
    Doctor likes this.
  14. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

The real Titanic sank with STYLE, but .......... :rolleyes:
    Doctor likes this.
  15. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

Blast I forgot about that post.

Sorry, I'll replace it. I only have ordinary coke at the moment though and because of Jethro and Dragonfly, I've had a Guinness so can't drive to get some diet.
  16. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member