TinyMCE Quattro and its wysiwyg bbcodes

TinyMCE Quattro and its wysiwyg bbcodes 2.7.2

No permission to download
I've noticed, by the way, that the user-inserted spaces option will not work if character-level formatting is applied to the text within the editor. For example, if you set text to be, say, Arial Black, size 6, and then do some weird spacing with the space bar, the spacing will be lost upon both preview and save. If you then take that same text and remove formatting, the user-insterted spaces are again recognized.

Is there a way to preserve user-inserted spaces with formatted text as well as unformatted?

I've already replied to you here.

Ah, superb. I didn't really understand that. I was thinking that "with bb code content" would not preserve white spaces entered in the wysiwyg editor, but that's not the case. That makes "with bb code content" the better, more all-inclusive option.

Thanks!

Cheers... Sorry for the delay with the feedback.. life kinda takes over sometimes...

Keep up the great work.. its appreciated... The aim is to update to the latest xenforo, but we have one or two addons that are incompatible with the latest version.. and I will have to update the theme.

One of the addons is a prediction league which currently appears to be no longer supported.. (developer has gone awol), so we can't stop that half way through the season.. :(

Send me a donation link and I will donate you some coins for coffee....

Cheers... Sorry for the delay with the feedback.. life kinda takes over sometimes...

Keep up the great work.. its appreciated... The aim is to update to the latest xenforo, but we have one or two addons that are incompatible with the latest version.. and I will have to update the theme.

One of the addons is a prediction league which currently appears to be no longer supported.. (developer has gone awol), so we can't stop that half way through the season.. :(

Send me a donation link and I will donate you some coins for coffee....
No need to be sorry, my message wasn't aiming you. I knew that the previous of versions of this addon couldn't work anymore on XenForo 1.1 because the editor was missing a class name in the editor block and I saw that nobody except you report me this, so I guess there are less and less users of XenForo 1.1.

For the donation link, there's one at the bottom of the addon presentation which I've just be adviced to put it at the top and in big by someone who "liked" your last message ;)
Thank you a lot to both of you.

I will also relay your support to TinyMCE developers.

Could you remind me about how I can make the editor take on the "gray" look of the xenforo editor rather than the light blue that it is now? I'm thinking about implementing a theme that is gray. Thanks.

Could you remind me about how I can make the editor take on the "gray" look of the xenforo editor rather than the light blue that it is now? I'm thinking about implementing a theme that is gray. Thanks.
Look at the paragraph 5 of the Faq.

cclaerhout updated TinyMCE Quattro and its wysiwyg bbcodes with a new update entry:

Version 1.7.0.2 released

Version 1.7.0.2 released
  • Add new options to set a minimum & maximum height for the QuickReply Editor
  • Fix a glitch with the Fright plugin (allows the float right buttons inside the editor) and improve its code a lot
  • New XenForo Code Event (listener) to programmatically add an extra plugin in the TinyMCE extra plugins (for developers)
    (an addon will be upgraded very soon with an example)

Read the rest of this update entry...

Sent you a donation... :D

@cclearhout i have users reporting a glitch when using safari/ mobile devices

they attempt to edit a post and the content either in the bbcode editor or wysiwyg editor (when enabled) is blank... and quote 'reply' function takes you to reply to post with empty content.. using 1.7.0.1

it appears to be doing the same as safari when trying to edit it on Dolphin (android) too, however the quote function works fine... yet to try other mobile browsers as such....

also using BbCodes & Buttons Manager Updated 2.3.1

Last edited:
Sent you a donation... :D

@cclearhout i have users reporting a glitch when using safari/ mobile devices

they attempt to edit a post and the content either in the bbcode editor or wysiwyg editor (when enabled) is blank... and quote 'reply' function takes you to reply to post with empty content.. using 1.7.0.1

it appears to be doing the same as safari when trying to edit it on Dolphin (android) too, however the quote function works fine... yet to try other mobile browsers as such....

also using BbCodes & Buttons Manager Updated 2.3.1

For mobile devices, I can only test with an Ipod Touch and an Ipad. I've tested on iOS 6.x with Safari and Dolphin. I didn't have any problems. I will not upgrade to iOS7 to test because I'm waiting for the jailbreak to use some applications, especially one that allows to reduce the screen luminosity on Ipad. I can't test on Android.

About the blank editor on edit:
You're using XenForo 1.1.x, there were some problems with it and TinyMCE & jQueryTools & Firefox. I had made a fix for it, but what what you describe is a similar problem but with another browser.

You can try a few things:
  1. activate the option to let users the choice to enable or not the RTE editor on their browser (recommended)
  2. disable TinyQuattro on mobile devices if you judge there are too many problems
  3. if you're brave and don't fear to waste too much time, try to see if the Mozilla patch can work after enable it AND modify the XenForo plugin files. With the source file, it's at line 1518, delete "&& tinymce.isGecko". In the minify file, just search for "&&tinymce.isGecko" and delete it. I'm really not sure if it would work after or not.
About the quote function:
I've also tried and no problem too. It might come from XenForo 1.1.x and TinyQuattro. Can you explain me more precisely to be sure I can't reproduce it on XenForo 1.2. Does this problem also occur on none mobile devices (if yes, which browser)? If yes, I can test it on my XenForo 1.1 installation, otherwise I will not reinstall on my share host server. It would take too much time.

Its not browser specific.. it just appear to do it all on mobile devices.. unable to edit posts..

Everything works fine on desktop computers.. if I switch mobile browser to desktop mode all is fine..

I already had tiny mce disabled no difference..

I had to disable it via parser settings.. everything then works as it should...

untick - Activate the RTE Editor on mobile devices?

with this ticked and the the other option ticket to disable on mobile devices the forum default editor would load on Dophin.. but I would still get the issue mentioned..

Last edited:
@jonoathome
Could you please provide me some screenshots with the minimum and most important information to help me see the problem? When you say the editor is blank to do you mean you can see the buttons but the content is blank? If yes, it is the XenForo 1.1/JqueryTools/Mozilla bug.

Exactly that.. yes... I will try your fix solution later and see if it works...

I am at work at the moment so will also provide screenshots later...

As mentioned I had to disable it via parser settings.. to get everything then working as it should, but obviously does not load the RTE editor...

Exactly that.. yes... I will try your fix solution later and see if it works...

I am at work at the moment so will also provide screenshots later...

As mentioned I had to disable it via parser settings.. to get everything then working as it should, but obviously does not load the RTE editor...

I've tested on Chrome with this application to spoof my user agent (ipad). So yes you've right, if TinyMCE Quattro is not enable and you bypass the XenForo limitation that prevents the browser to load on mobile device, the browser will fail to load. The reason must be that the stock editor of XenForo 1.1 TinyMCE 3.4.2 was not compatible with mobile browsers (but I still remember to have test it successfully in the past - strange). When I've created this option for the first time, it was with the more recent version of TinyMCE (3.5.8 at the end) which worked with mobile browsers (ref).

I've tested with the user agents: ipad, ipod, Chrome on Android Mobile, everything works with TinyMCE Quattro. Of course those tests can't replace a real system to test the limitations. The quote problem just shows that TinyMCE had a problem to load and breaks some javascript.

What to do:
This means on XenForo 1.1 you must configure TinyMCE Quattro for all your users to avoid any problems on mobile. Allow also the option to disable the RTE editor on their mobile devices, it's safer for those whose devices would be incompatible.

If the editor loads then normally everywhere except on overlay edits, a solution is to disable the "inline edit" (an edit than open an overlay) with mobiles. This option is available in this old addon. If you want to try to install it to check if it fixes your problem, be sure to uncheck all the parser patches (TinyMCE Quattro has already them, no need to repeat them twice). If it solves your problem, I will re-integrate this option inside this addon. This option has been re-integrated.

If the problem still goes one, sorry but you will have to use the normal behaviour on XenForo 1.1 on mobiles: no RTE editor.

Last edited:
ok tinymce people i need some help :)

we've implemented tinymce on our forum. on our light theme, it looks/works great. on our dark theme, which is identical except for colors, the editor is refusing to display certain "icons" on the buttons and the smilie pop-up is ALL kinds of screwed up. i have NO clue why this is happening. we've tried re-installing the plug in to no avail. any suggestions?

http://www.nonewbs.com

you'll have to create an account to see the editor but please, help! the default theme is the dark theme that's giving us the issues. called "nonewbs dark blue".

thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

@Buck Russell
Both are working for me. I don't know which theme you're using but the buttons groups borders are not displayed which probably displays some littles dots to the corner of the buttons. To correct this you could disable any radius on ".mce-btn" with the !important parameter. Now I can't support any css customisations, so I would recommend you to read the point 5 of the FAQ to use the official skin with your darker theme or create one with the TinyMCE skin generator.

User reported that the editor is not preserving font selection and size when pasting from Word, so I went to Paste - Retain style properties and set the parameter to "all"

Afterwards, however, the editor still does not retain font style or size.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Never mind: I was using quotation marks around the "all." Parameter must be entered with no quotation marks.

Update: I have a user pasting from Google Docs, expecting his font choices to be preserved. Is there any way to support pasting from this?

Another question: User noted that when pasting from one place on the site to another, font information gets stripped out. Any way to change that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
In theory, if the plain text mode is disable, then a copy from an html source should keep available html information. Now, it's not an exact science, Google is using its own fonts, so even if they are copied in the html, they will not be displayed in an external page. Now if this external page has set the same Google fonts, it might work, I'm not sure. It might also depend on the system and how is managed the copy/paste functions, again I'm not sure. But this makes too much variables to deal with. If you look at the code of the paste plugin and how is managed the paste from a Word document, it's already incredibly complex.

Top Bottom