TinyMCE Quattro and its wysiwyg bbcodes

TinyMCE Quattro and its wysiwyg bbcodes 2.7.2

No permission to download
As you know the next version will have a lot of modifications (for the record the smilies of the current available version will not work on XenForo 1.2 beta 3 - it has been fixed) and should use TinyMCE 4.0.1 that was released yesterday (source). And as promised by Spocke, developer of TinyMCE, the pain text plugin is back :)

Is it just me or this version is incredibly better than the latest default XF editor? :love:

Just to be clear, the work of Mike on Redactor is incredible... especially knowing from where he had to start: if you buy the official Redactor, you will honestly not be able to use it in your project and wish not to have spend money on it. As you see, the XenForo version of Redactor can be use in production. Now I still prefer MCE for many reasons:
  • The dom management is still better (several developers have been worked with it for years)
  • The plugin system is very flexible and for an integrator that is not a professional coder (and doesn't want or even technically can't rewrite an whole editor ^^) it is important
  • The developers have already included some defaults plugins with the editor which means they support them => so they just have to be integrated inside a script to let users choose their options. It is basic.
  • I really love to play with icon fonts. It's fun and good looking.
  • The licence type. Some addons here were integrating mce3 to give users an editor (which was not the XenForo default one). Now, I think that legally they can't do the same with Redactor.
  • The developers are active now with the release of mce4 and replies to questions providing you give them enough elements
Now there are still drawbacks:
  • The editor size is bigger (it just need to be loaded once, then that would no be a problem)
  • The iframe is slower to load: we can see an 0.5 second delay
  • Its integration with jQueryTools overlays has some problems with the Design Mode of Firefox (It can be patched)

Now people will have the choice like they have on Wordpress, so it's better.

In 1.1.x or 1.2.x ?

Use version 1.0.5 for XenForo 1.1.x. But I'm focusing on XenForo 1.2.x (quite logical). I will need to test it on both XenForo version once the Advanced BbCodes will be ready. I would prefer Guiltar to release an update of TMS before.

@TheBigK I take the credit for the framework and a part of the integration, but for the editor all the credit goes to the MCE developers and to IcoMoon designers for the icons ^^
The new version should be released at the end of next week.

cclaerhout updated TinyMCE Quattro with a new update entry:

Version 1.1.0 released

Version 1.1.0 released

1. Update to TinyMCE 4.1
  2. Integration of the plain text paste plugin (this plugin has been
  3. slightly modified - this is the only modification done to the core files - this mod should be temporary)
  4. Option to enable/disable the broswer spellchecker (this option might have been added in a previous release, I'm not sure)
  5. Font family and font size buttons now display the current node value
  6. Framework modified & extended with new functions

Read the rest of this update entry...

The screenshots of 1.1 version.

> I will need to update the documentation to introduce the new functions of the framework. These functions are uses by the BBM advanced BbCodes.

> Please note that the plain text paste mode icon is the tinymce icon for the paste plugin. I've reused it since the plain text mode didn't have (yet) an official icon.

Attachments

• mce27.webp
    mce27.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 17
  • mce28.webp
    mce28.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 18
  • mce29.webp
    mce29.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 17
  • mce30.webp
    mce30.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
If you replace Redactor with this. Will it cause you to lose the new drag and drop images added to 1.2 editor?

If you replace Redactor with this. Will it cause you to lose the new drag and drop images added to 1.2 editor?
About compatibility:
  • The drag and drop images function is a Redactor plugin, so it won't work. To be honest I don't really see the advantage of it: it requires the same number of clicks unless if your browser window is not in fullscreen. May be I'm old fashion, I don't know.
  • Same thing at the moment for the TagME function on XenForo 1.2.x. It will work with XenForo 1.1.x with the @xfrocks addon will check if he will add or not an option to the update of his plugin. I haven't looked at the new core TagME function, so no idea how it is implemented.
  • For the savedraft, MCE has its own Javascript function that doesn't require to stock data on the sever but on the browser. Nevertheless it seems the XenForo draft system is working, it just would have need an interface button and a popup message to say the draft has been saved. Anyway I have to add an option to disable/enable the XenForo savedraft system (it should just require a css class modification I think) and how to integrate it in a button once enable.

An update has been pushed on Github. It fixes the css bug of the media dialog, it increases the fullscreen z-index css and it focused on fonts family & fonts size management both on XenForo 1.1 & 1.2: when editing a message and selecting a node with a particular font-family and/or font-size, the values are now displayed in the relative buttons. The font-size selection has now the phrase prefix "Size" for a better display.

I might make a few modifications before this weekend, so I don't update the release here at the moment.

cclaerhout updated TinyMCE Quattro with a new update entry:

Version 1.1.1 released

Version 1.1.1 released
  • Fix a css bug with the media dialog
  • Increase the compatibility with XenForo 1.1/1.2 about the font size and font family
  • Font Size Menu modified
  • Fullscreen z-index increased
  • [only on XenForo 1.2] Attachments info by post added for overlays - some documentation will follow
  • 1 template moved to BBM Advanced Bb Codes

Read the rest of this update entry...

Info: I forgot to mention it but users of XenForo 1.1 will have to import again the xml file after the upgrade to XenForo 1.2.

I don't get it, how do I enter this one?
  1. I've installed the addon but I can still see the default editor, what can I do?
    Check the TinyQuattro Permissions.
    mce16-png.48314

I can't even find TinyMCE at the search @ ACP.
Do I need to install old TinyMCE version maybe?

Is there anyway to change the height of the editor? It is significantly larger than the previous editor. I would prefer it to be similar to the height of the editor in 1.2. For reference I am on 1.1.x

Also any way to allow members top copy/paste without Ctrl+V/c? Many members can't copy paste on iPads and iPhones with the new editor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom