XF 1.3 Thread Will Not Save If Image Is Present...

You will need to give more details than this.
  1. Is it just one thread that's causing problems or any thread with an image?
  2. Is the image an attachment or is it embedded from another site?
  3. Do you have any browser extensions such as Adblock Plus? If so, can you save with these disabled?
  4. Have you tested with all add-ons disabled and using an unedited default style?

You will need to give more details than this.
  1. Is it just one thread that's causing problems or any thread with an image?
  2. Is the image an attachment or is it embedded from another site?
  3. Do you have any browser extensions such as Adblock Plus? If so, can you save with these disabled?
  4. Have you tested with all add-ons disabled and using an unedited default style?

1: If I try to create any thread that includes an image, it will not save.
2: I used the fetch image url to get the image off my server.
3: I diabled adblock, tried with explorer, and chrome, still did not save...
(all i see is a quick status bar as if it was saving, but it does not)
4: new install, no addons, using unedited default template. I have a couple
other templates installed, maybe it could be one of them interfering?
(I have tried with those templates as well, same thing, doesnt save with image.)

1: If I try to create any thread that includes an image, it will not save.

2: I used the fetch image url to get the image off my server.
Do you mean this via the editor toolbar?

upload_2015-7-26_14-6-30.webp

Also have you tried with other images e.g. ones from other websites rather than just the one on your server?

Can you replicate the issue on here with the image on your server (assuming it's appropriate to use)?

Last edited:
Do you mean this via the editor toolbar?

View attachment 112514

Also have you tried with other images e.g. ones from other websites rather than just the one on your server?

Can you replicate the issue on here with the image on your server (assuming it's appropriate to use)?

Your image above is media; ie: youtube appears to work fine.

ok, I tried saving with 3 different images...
this time I get error code on all 3, same error:

When I tried to save, got this:

The following error occurred
The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console.

I need a raise...

Your image above is media; ie: youtube appears to work fine.
D'oh! I posted the wrong screenshot. Edited the post to include the correct one. :oops:

It shows 5 errors, as I am looking down the list, google fonts appear to be standing out the most....
If you need more then that, then I would have to send you the entire code.
Yes, please post the error code details (you can use the Code button in the editor to make this easier to view).

D'oh! I posted the wrong screenshot. Edited the post to include the correct one. :oops:

Yes, please post the error code details (you can use the Code button in the editor to make this easier to view).

This is at the very top of the code...

Code:
XenForo.activate(#document)
xenforo.js:344 Title Element: e.fn.init[1]
attachment_editor.js:6 flash url: http://www.mydomain.com/community/js/swfupload/Flash/swfupload.swf
attachment_editor.js:13 Attachments changed, total files: 0, images: 0
xenforo.js:209 XenForo.init() 1916ms. jQuery 1.11.0/1.2.8-dev

any of this help?

Not really, this doesn't say what the error is. You need to click on the red circle at the top right of the console that's showing how many errors there are to see the errors in the console. When you see these, you need to expand any errors so that the details are shown. You can then either copy these details and paste here, or screenshot. For example:

upload_2015-7-26_14-27-12.webp

Not really, this doesn't say what the error is. You need to click on the red circle at the top right of the console that's showing how many errors there are to see the errors in the console. When you see these, you need to expand any errors so that the details are shown. You can then either copy these details and paste here, or screenshot. For example:

View attachment 112519

I removed all the extra templates; 6 errors went down to 1.
What there is from F12 is listed below, thats it.

Code:
XenForo.activate(#document)
attachment_editor.js?_v=442e90ad:6 flash url: http://www.mydomain.com/community/js/swfupload/Flash/swfupload.swf
attachment_editor.js?_v=442e90ad:13 Attachments changed, total files: 0, images: 0
xenforo.js?_v=442e90ad:209 XenForo.init() 1542ms. jQuery 1.11.0/1.2.8-dev
all.js:64 Invalid App Id: Must be a number or numeric string representing the application id.
2all.js:64 FB.getLoginStatus() called before calling FB.init().
all.js:64 Received message of type object from http://platform.twitter.com, expected a string
xenforo.js?_v=442e90ad:284 OverlayLoader for posts/7/edit-inline
xenforo.js?_v=442e90ad:220 XenForo.activate(e.fn.init[1])
all.js:64 Received message of type object from http://platform.twitter.com, expected a string
xenforo.js?_v=442e90ad:230 PHP <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<html>
<head>
  <title>Index of /</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Index of /</h1>
<ul><li><a href="cgi-bin/"> cgi-bin/</a></li>
<li><a href="community/"> community/</a></li>
<li><a href="images/"> images/</a></li>
<li><a href="tmp/"> tmp/</a></li>
</ul>
</body></html>

maybe this will help:
c.extend.handleServerError @ xenforo.js:230

anything that says error has to be bad news....

I'm unclear what the issue is from the above.

I know you have tried with different embedded images but can you clarify if you have tried images from different sites? For example, can you create a post with the image at this URL?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2013/7/6/1373136075829/Chris-Froome-005.jpg

Chris-Froome-005.jpg

I'm unclear what the issue is from the above.

I know you have tried with different embedded images but can you clarify if you have tried images from different sites? For example, can you create a post with the image at this URL?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2013/7/6/1373136075829/Chris-Froome-005.jpg

I have tried:

copy/paste of the above image = error message is in the JavaScript console.
I tired url for image: error message is in the JavaScript console.

It seems to be going back and forth 1-3 errors, at the end of
each code segment, it is the same:

First time I have ever had any errors,
even with installing v1.3.1

no errors in admin/or cpanel

Last edited:
When I set up XF before I got the following msg, I sent it off to hosting support,
but they said nothing to worry about, but I did not recall having any image issues,
so I do not know if this has anything to do with not being able to threads that include images:

The following warnings were detected when verifying that your server can run XenForo:
Your server has disabled core PHP functions via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. Depending on the functions that have been disabled, this may cause unexpected problems in XenForo. All PHP functions should be enabled.

That could be relevant.
Which functions are disabled?

unsure, I will send a ticket to support, and reference the other error.
I know the first time I seen this (on a previous install) I sent a ticket,
and they said it was nothing to worry about, and I did not recall any errors before.
I am certainly getting "unexpected problems"...haha..

(the following is line 230)

Code:
var c=XenForo._manualDeferOverlay.find(".CancelDeferred");a.canCancel?c.show():c.hide()}else b()}).fail(b)};d()}},handleServerError:function(a,b){switch(b){case "abort":return!1;case "timeout":return XenForo.alert(XenForo.phrases.server_did_not_respond_in_time_try_again,XenForo.phrases.following_error_occurred+":"),!1;case "parsererror":return console.error("PHP "+a.responseText),XenForo.alert("The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console."),!1;case "notmodified":case "error":if(!a||

points too:
/community/js/xenforo/xenforo.js?_v=442e90ad

Any help?

Couple other glitches I found:
Switch the forum to off, then clicking on save....
(takes me to home page) What does clicking on
save have to do with taking me to the home page?

When I upload an avatar, the previous avatar continues
to pop right back up again, even though that is not
the file that I uploaded....

After 8 hours or so, host was not much help:

On further investaigation, it was found that the following functions are already disabled under the disable_functions option.

==============
disable_functions = show_source, system, shell_exec, passthru, exec, popen, proc_open
==============

This is the reason of the warning message you receive during the XenForo installation. Kindly check and let us know whether you require assistance in enabling any particular functions in your server. We would be glad to help you out.

Last edited:
Based on this output:
Code:
xenforo.js?_v=442e90ad:230 PHP <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Index of /</h1>
</ul>
</body></html>

That would imply that something is redirecting to there. This could be masking another error. Unless you've done htaccess modifications, this -- combined with some of the other things you've said -- make me think there's an unexpected redirect happening due to some aspect on the server (something like mod_security or another misconfiguration).

Based on this output:
Code:
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Index of /</h1>
</ul>
</body></html>

That would imply that something is redirecting to there. This could be masking another error. Unless you've done htaccess modifications, this -- combined with some of the other things you've said -- make me think there's an unexpected redirect happening due to some aspect on the server (something like mod_security or another misconfiguration).

disabled mod security - it works!

This is the 2nd script on this server that I had to disable mod security in order
to get the platform to work; Does this sound normal to you? One fact I do know,
these platforms have worked with mod security in the past, this mod security
issue did not start until I moved to this new host.

What kind of trouble is a site in without mod security enabled?

Thanks for your help @Mike
(and everyone else...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom