Thread Titles Manager

Thread Titles Manager 10.0.33 Release Candidate 3

No permission to download

Kirby

Why does it happened, because you wanted to release 1.0.3 Beta 10?
Probably :)

Version IDs can be confusing, especially as the official documentation IMHO isn't that great and usage seems to be somewhat inconsistent.

1.0.3 Beta 10 would be 1000340

Anatoliy

1.0.3 Beta 10 would be 1000340
I was thinking that if betta is 30 and rc 50, then 40 is for such cases. But I decided to try 310 for betta 10)
frankly I was sure that it will reject and will say something like "enter proper number".
nope )

VBX Co

Interesting. Just a couple of questions, if we may:
  1. How is the title data gathered? Manually, hourly, daily, via a cron?
  2. Is it done on a batch basis or as one job across the entire database?
  3. Are there any performance hits for large sites - e.g. 500,000+ threads?
  4. Are there any logs for title edits to show before/after? (in case we want to compare SEO results or revert to previous title)
Apologies if these haven't been discussed or addressed yet, just a few things that sprung to mind.

We've been having serious discussions about thread title SEO recently and this would be a very handy tool to help deal with duplicate titles and low density (too short) titles. (y)

Anatoliy

Interesting. Just a couple of questions, if we may:
  1. How is the title data gathered? Manually, hourly, daily, via a cron?
  2. Is it done on a batch basis or as one job across the entire database?
  3. Are there any performance hits for large sites - e.g. 500,000+ threads?
  4. Are there any logs for title edits to show before/after? (in case we want to compare SEO results or revert to previous title)
Apologies if these haven't been discussed or addressed yet, just a few things that sprung to mind.

We've been having serious discussions about thread title SEO recently and this would be a very handy tool to help deal with duplicate titles and low density (too short) titles. (y)
Those are all good questions.

Query runs when a page opens. For "Too long" and "Too short" pages I guess there is no difference how many threads forum has as a query fetches 20 items per run. With "Duplicates" it's totally different story, as it has to check each title vs each title, so 500,000 x 500,000 would probably hit the server. I'm testing the add-on with my forum that has 17k of threads and "Duplicates" page opens as fast as any other xF page (it displays top 100 items).

And yes, I agree that for big boards the add-on should fetch and keep results in a custom table, fetching them by small batches via a cron.
And a log probably would be useful, too.

And to connect the add-on to Google search console, and to sort duplicates, longs, and shorts not by id, title, or number of duplicates, but by amount of traffic a page is already generates would be cool, too. So I would not have to fix thousands of titles blindly, before I could see a result of my work. Instead I would edit those titles, that will produce a maximum organic traffic boost after fixing.

… You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...

Last edited:

VBX Co

Thanks for the comprehensive reply @Anatoliy - sounds like a good start and, like may other add-ons, we're sure it will develop over time into something much better. (y)

A couple more questions, if you don't mind:
  • Does the query exclude soft-deleted thread titles?
  • Is there an option to exclude threads from specific forums? (for example, we have several admin/member-only forums that are not public so would be pointless to include)
  • In addition, prompted by the one above - can individual threads be excluded? (for example if you know the title is short, but it has a top ranking and brings lots of traffic already)

Anatoliy

You are just a great ideas generator. )
  • Does the query exclude soft-deleted thread titles?
Yes. Soft deleted and redirects.
  • Is there an option to exclude threads from specific forums? (for example, we have several admin/member-only forums that are not public so would be pointless to include)
  • In addition, prompted by the one above - can individual threads be excluded? (for example if you know the title is short, but it has a top ranking and brings lots of traffic already)
Those are definitely should be present. The other question is that I have no idea how to implement that. )
I'll try to add a custom table so threads and forums could be added to the list:
"You can't touch this
My, my, my, my
You can't touch this".

nicodak

Something that might help on old forums and with a lot of threads would be to set a search range or at least be able to sort the results by date so maybe you don't bother too much with threads that have 5, 6 , 8 or 10 years. Just an idea like that.

Anatoliy

Something that might help on old forums and with a lot of threads would be to set a search range or at least be able to sort the results by date so maybe you don't bother too much with threads that have 5, 6 , 8 or 10 years. Just an idea like that.
Actually I guess it's quite opposite. )
I can see that the biggest part of my organic traffic is brought by ancient, non active for 5-10 years threads. I explain it by age of a page is being one of the ranking factors. Firstly I thought that by editing titles I will ruin that "age factor" as with titles I change thread's urls. But then I could see that 301 redirect passes "authority juice" to new url. So I'd rather fix in first place oldies and not bother too much with threads that younger than 5, 6 , 8 or 10 years. )

But yes, ability to sort results by age, replies count etc is a good idea. Put in my to do list. Will implement in update 10.33.99 )))

nicodak

I can see that the biggest part of my organic traffic is brought by ancient, non active for 5-10 years threads.
Which explains why my forum, which is only 10 months old, is so poorly positioned in the SERPs, and unfortunately no module can accelerate aging... So I have to be patient and wait for the first wrinkles...

nicodak

Ok...

Smoke Smoking GIF by Mateo LAW$
Jack Daniels Whiskey GIF by ALLBLK
blake lively GIF