XF 1.5 Thread Tagging

Tags are a common method of adding keywords to content to aid searching and discovery. In XenForo 1.5, we're adding support for applying tags to threads, as well as a framework for add-ons to add tags to their own content types.

upload_2015-6-25_12-53-21.webp

Thread tags apply to the thread itself (rather than individual posts), so they are displayed at the top of the thread view, independent of any post.

Clicking any tag will take you to a page displaying all content that has that tag attached to it:

upload_2015-6-25_12-54-22.webp

These results pages will be accessible to search engines (and of course end users) to help them relate the tagged content to each other.

To edit the tags in an existing thread, clicking the "edit" link shown in the first screenshot will bring up an overlay with a tag editor:

upload_2015-6-25_12-55-15.webp

When typing a tag in, auto-complete options will be displayed.

Tagging Options
If you are allowing untrusted users to apply tags, it may be useful to apply some limits. To do this, there are a number of options:

upload_2015-6-25_12-55-50.webp

These options cover limits over the amount of tagging an individual user can do and the actual structure of the tags. Note that tags will have some normalization applied (lower casing, white space adjustments, etc) independent of any structure limits.

Tagging Permissions
There are also a number of permissions that allow you to control who can tag content:
  • Create new content tag (global) - this controls whether a user can create an entirely new tag. If they do not have this permission (but have permission to apply tags), the user will only be able to use a tag that has already been created.
  • Bypass user content tag limit (global) - having this permission allows the user to bypass the "Max Content Tags Per User" option.
  • Tag thread by self (global and per forum) - this permission allows a user to apply tags to threads they create. By default, they will only be able to edit the tags they applied to the thread.
  • Tag thread by anyone (global and per forum) - this permission allows a user to apply tags to threads created by anyone. Like above, they will generally only be able to edit the tags they applied.
  • Manage tags by others in own thread (global and per forum) - this permission extends the tag management to control any tag that has been applied to their own thread, regardless of who applied it.
  • Manage tags by anyone (global and per forum) - this is a moderator-level permission that allows full tag management.
Admin Tag Management
Admins can manage tags through the admin control panel. They are given a list of tags, including filtering and sorting options:

upload_2015-6-25_12-57-55.webp

Editing a tag gives the following options:

upload_2015-6-25_12-58-13.webp

Normally, when a tag is created, the "URL version" is automatically generated. This is what will be displayed in the URL when viewing the tag results page (example.com/community/tags/tag-name-here/). Normally, this is automatically generated from the user entered tag by deaccenting and normalizing, along with some extra processes to ensure uniqueness. However, an admin can manually override this if desired.

Normally tags will be removed when they are no longer used (specifically, when their last usage is removed). Choosing to make a tag permanent prevents this. This is mostly significant for communities where admins will create a list of valid tags and not allow users to add their own.

Deleting a tag should be straightforward enough. Merging tags allows you to change all references to tag X into tag Y.

Tag Searches
Tag searching is exposed via a new tab on the search pages:

upload_2015-6-25_12-59-19.webp

This allows searching by a single tag or multiple tags. Entering multiple tags will only return content with all tags applied.

Below this, we display a tag cloud showing the most popular tags with various "weights" to indicate how popular they are. There are some options that control what is included in the tag cloud:

upload_2015-6-25_12-59-49.webp

In terms of searching itself, tags are included as part of the content's title, allowing the text of the tag to be searched. With XenForo Enhanced Search, this automatically increases the relevancy of a result matching a tag. Tags are also indexed as "metadata" internally which means they can be searched via a non-keyword method. This is not exposed by default outside of the dedicated tag search page.

Tagging for Developers
Like many other systems in XenForo, the tagging framework is implemented in a content-agnostic way. This allows tagging to be added to many content types easily. Developers wishing to add tagging to their content mostly just need to implement the necessary handler class and display the tags on their content pages.

We intend on releasing updates to our official add-ons to add support for tagging.

That's all for today. Until next time...

I've never understood tags. What I mean is that to tag a thread with any word out of the millions of possible words seems pointless. How do users know what "tag" they should or could apply to a thread? And how likely is it that a user constructing a similar thread would use the same tag?

Honestly, I've never seen tags used much by users. I used to run a vB forum with over 60,000 users, and the "tag" cloud was virtually empty. No one used it. No one cared.

Someone explain it to me, please.

Honestly, I've never seen tags used much by users. I used to run a vB forum with over 60,000 users, and the "tag" cloud was virtually empty. No one used it. No one cared.

Someone explain it to me, please.
Completely agree with you. They seems pointless unless they can be restricted to specific set. Then they will help to categorize content. If you want to see a good implementation then have a look at how discourse has them implemented. A specific list is presented to the users which creating threads.

Actually, upon further reflection, I can see how tags might be useful in some cases. I'll have to draw up a tutorial for my users, though, with some "use case" examples. The key would be to show them how tags can be useful to them by giving them quick access to their threads in the future, I suspect. Where tags fail to inspire usage, I suspect, is when they're seen as primarily a tool that would be useful to admins to facilitate content discovery. My feeling is that most users don't care about content discovery unless it benefits them directly.

Essentially, then, what I'd like to see is a tagging system that remembers the tags that individual users have employed in the past. That way, users don't have to remember which tag they used for a particular purpose ("Did I write Canon or Cameras: Canon," for example). If a list of a user's tags could pop up as he or she was typing in a tag, that would be best.

Last edited:
It basically helps with your SEO (more keywords).

Regarding thread organization it certainly isn't useful in a forum because 90% of your members aren't going to properly use the tagging system. For a blog it works very good however for a forum I don't see the benefit beyond SEO.

It basically helps with your SEO (more keywords).

Regarding thread organization it certainly isn't useful in a forum because 90% of your members aren't going to properly use the tagging system. For a blog it works very good however for a forum I don't see the benefit beyond SEO.

Interesting. Forgive me coming in and asking questions that likely have been answered already, but you guys have seen good results from this SEO-wise?

Thread Tags can be used for many things, off the top of my head you can quickly use them as a second level of taxonomy for your forum. Example: I have a travel forum, and threads are now sitting in forums that represent Continents or Countries - therefore the main taxonomy is already there. But if I wanted a secondary taxonomy I could easily use the tags - for example I could do that to tag threads for honeymoon trips, for extreme sports trips, etc.

So, even tags won't replace your existing basic structure (which is supported by the forums anyway - but even that might not be the case in all niches), they can extend it quite a bit and that's why I think I'll definitely find a use for them.

Thread Tags can be used for many things, off the top of my head you can quickly use them as a second level of taxonomy for your forum. Example: I have a travel forum, and threads are now sitting in forums that represent Continents or Countries - therefore the main taxonomy is already there. But if I wanted a secondary taxonomy I could easily use the tags - for example I could do that to tag threads for honeymoon trips, for extreme sports trips, etc.

So, even tags won't replace your existing basic structure (which is supported by the forums anyway - but even that might not be the case in all niches), they can extend it quite a bit and that's why I think I'll definitely find a use for them.

So you're basically saying that they're a tool primarily of interest to admins?

On my vbulletin forum I had a custom field implemented in the thread creation form asking for specific tags. It was a simple modification. For example if you have a car forum you could ask 'what car(s) is this topic about?' and then let the thread creator fill this in. This lead to a lot of useful tags.

Tags can be used for organizing your forum, similar to nodes & prefixes. tags resolve the problem of finding similar threads and keeping up to date on a specific topic.

It is true that you need to educate your community and reward them for tagging, so that they will add useful tags. I make it mandatory for getting a usergroup promotion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom