XF 1.0 Thread List Display Options

Here at XenForo, we like to take controls that are infrequently used and tuck them neatly away so they don't get in the way of everyday browsing.

One example of this is the thread list display options, which could be presented as a big fat hairy form stuffed right under the thread list, or it could be gently placed inside a friendly little tab, ready to pop out whenever you need it.

We chose the latter.

Attachments

• fat-hairy-form.webp
    fat-hairy-form.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,635
  • tab-closed.webp
    tab-closed.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,126
  • tab-open.webp
    tab-open.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 686
Yeah, saw this earlier, and it looks awesome. Finally a solution to the clutter.

One example of this is the thread list display options, which could be presented as a big fat hairy form stuffed right under the thread list, or it could be gently placed inside a friendly little tab, ready to pop out whenever you need it.

Yeah, this is exactly one of those things that I dislike with a passion on vBulletin, especially the vB4 series. Don't know about the hairy ;), but it is horribly big and fat indeed and most of my users (including myself) will never ever look at that section! So then why o why present it in such an in-your-face way? I adore the simplicity and cleanliness of xenForo. Sorry to repeat myself and others, but this is litterally a breath of fresh air. Keep up this fantastic work on this refreshing user interface! vBulletin (and Invision) can take notice.

I've gone ahead and made a quick video demonstrating the thread list Display options that shows at the bottom of those pages.
Additionally the video demonstrates how to find the quick navigation menu.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/693961/xf_t..._navigation_menu.mov
(right click > safe to your computer > play with VLC for best result)

or watch the lower quality vimeo version:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But the bar at the top is clickable for each of those options, ascending/descending, thread title, last post, etc?

If the bar is at the top, why the tab at the bottom?

?

I believe (without testing) that the bottom is side wide preferences for you. And the sorting on that thread list is for just that particular time you're in that list.

But the bar at the top is clickable for each of those options, ascending/descending, thread title, last post, etc?

If the bar is at the top, why the tab at the bottom?

?

They do the same job, it's just a matter of preference as to how you want to interact with the site.

Sorry, but I much rather prefer the "big fat hairy form" as it is more visible and therefore will be used more. If you hide everything away then most general users wont even know that it exists. This feature is most successful in vB.org where it is put in a highly visible position on top of the page. Hiding everything away neatly may make the page appear more minimalistic and artistic but does not add to the usefulness of the software.

Sorry, but I much rather prefer the "big fat hairy form" as it is more visible and therefore will be used more. If you hide everything away then most general users wont even know that it exists. This feature is most successful in vB.org where it is put in a highly visible position on top of the page. Hiding everything away neatly may make the page appear more minimalistic and artistic but does not add to the usefulness of the software.

I believe the reason it's hidden is because it wasn't really used much. Out of the people I know, only a small amount actually used those options including myself, and that was extremely rare.

Top Bottom