• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.0 Thread List Display Options

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
Here at XenForo, we like to take controls that are infrequently used and tuck them neatly away so they don't get in the way of everyday browsing.

One example of this is the thread list display options, which could be presented as a big fat hairy form stuffed right under the thread list, or it could be gently placed inside a friendly little tab, ready to pop out whenever you need it.

We chose the latter.

Attachments

F

Floris

Yeah, saw this earlier, and it looks awesome. Finally a solution to the clutter.

Grover

One example of this is the thread list display options, which could be presented as a big fat hairy form stuffed right under the thread list, or it could be gently placed inside a friendly little tab, ready to pop out whenever you need it.
Yeah, this is exactly one of those things that I dislike with a passion on vBulletin, especially the vB4 series. Don't know about the hairy ;), but it is horribly big and fat indeed and most of my users (including myself) will never ever look at that section! So then why o why present it in such an in-your-face way? I adore the simplicity and cleanliness of xenForo. Sorry to repeat myself and others, but this is litterally a breath of fresh air. Keep up this fantastic work on this refreshing user interface! vBulletin (and Invision) can take notice.

Dean

But the bar at the top is clickable for each of those options, ascending/descending, thread title, last post, etc?

If the bar is at the top, why the tab at the bottom?

?

F

Floris

I believe (without testing) that the bottom is side wide preferences for you. And the sorting on that thread list is for just that particular time you're in that list.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
But the bar at the top is clickable for each of those options, ascending/descending, thread title, last post, etc?

If the bar is at the top, why the tab at the bottom?

?
They do the same job, it's just a matter of preference as to how you want to interact with the site.

vijayninel

Sorry, but I much rather prefer the "big fat hairy form" as it is more visible and therefore will be used more. If you hide everything away then most general users wont even know that it exists. This feature is most successful in vB.org where it is put in a highly visible position on top of the page. Hiding everything away neatly may make the page appear more minimalistic and artistic but does not add to the usefulness of the software.

Onimua

Sorry, but I much rather prefer the "big fat hairy form" as it is more visible and therefore will be used more. If you hide everything away then most general users wont even know that it exists. This feature is most successful in vB.org where it is put in a highly visible position on top of the page. Hiding everything away neatly may make the page appear more minimalistic and artistic but does not add to the usefulness of the software.
I believe the reason it's hidden is because it wasn't really used much. Out of the people I know, only a small amount actually used those options including myself, and that was extremely rare.