1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.0 Thread List Display Options

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Kier, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Here at XenForo, we like to take controls that are infrequently used and tuck them neatly away so they don't get in the way of everyday browsing.

One example of this is the thread list display options, which could be presented as a big fat hairy form stuffed right under the thread list, or it could be gently placed inside a friendly little tab, ready to pop out whenever you need it.

We chose the latter.

Attached Files:

Eagle, Moddis, Saeed and 15 others like this.
  2. Eric

Eric Active Member

Very nice Kier! I'm glad you decided to implement it the way you did. That "Sort by Cow Density" cracked me up :p

Derek Ivey likes this.
  3. Floris

Floris Guest

Yeah, saw this earlier, and it looks awesome. Finally a solution to the clutter.

4. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

I like that too, nice job! :)

5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

Looks Good.

6. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is exactly one of those things that I dislike with a passion on vBulletin, especially the vB4 series. Don't know about the hairy ;), but it is horribly big and fat indeed and most of my users (including myself) will never ever look at that section! So then why o why present it in such an in-your-face way? I adore the simplicity and cleanliness of xenForo. Sorry to repeat myself and others, but this is litterally a breath of fresh air. Keep up this fantastic work on this refreshing user interface! vBulletin (and Invision) can take notice.

CBI Web likes this.
  7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

ive always wanted to sort by cow density.

Nice addition.

8. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

Much cleaner! love it.

9. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

Much neater :)

10. Floris

Floris Guest

I've gone ahead and made a quick video demonstrating the thread list Display options that shows at the bottom of those pages.
    Additionally the video demonstrates how to find the quick navigation menu.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/693961/xf_t..._navigation_menu.mov
    (right click > safe to your computer > play with VLC for best result)

or watch the lower quality vimeo version:

Nairda, CBI Web and Dean like this.
  11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

But the bar at the top is clickable for each of those options, ascending/descending, thread title, last post, etc?

If the bar is at the top, why the tab at the bottom?

?

12. Floris

Floris Guest

I believe (without testing) that the bottom is side wide preferences for you. And the sorting on that thread list is for just that particular time you're in that list.

13. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

They do the same job, it's just a matter of preference as to how you want to interact with the site.

Dean likes this.
  14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Thanks!

15. Private_Ale

Private_Ale Member

16. Elmer

Elmer Member

I like how this has been designed, the design looks pretty clean compared to other forum software (vb)

17. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Is "fat hairy form" a technical term? :p

18. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

I like it this way.

19. vijayninel

vijayninel Active Member

Sorry, but I much rather prefer the "big fat hairy form" as it is more visible and therefore will be used more. If you hide everything away then most general users wont even know that it exists. This feature is most successful in vB.org where it is put in a highly visible position on top of the page. Hiding everything away neatly may make the page appear more minimalistic and artistic but does not add to the usefulness of the software.

20. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I believe the reason it's hidden is because it wasn't really used much. Out of the people I know, only a small amount actually used those options including myself, and that was extremely rare.