Think about warez!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow

Well, I presume you guys (admins) want to release this script in due course. You go onto any warez site, and you search for "vBulletin" you'll see a bunch of vbulletin scripts.

If you are planning on selling this, how would you protect it from nullers?

I don't think this is a suitable discussion for this site.

If they fight piracy (which they obviously will) they will check via the regular means, and also not disclose all their tricks.

We had a long discussion on this very subject a week or so back if I recall correctly. We all pretty much agree that you can't stop it and that is going to happen. Just the way of the Internets.

Also, if (when) I buy this software and if it has a 'call home' feature ... I'll null it myself before installing it on my server. I won't deal with a 'call home' feature or a 'back-door' feature. No way. Once I buy it, it's mine.

There are many ways to make nulling very difficult. The ultimate trick though to end up letting the nullers null the product but in a way that still calls back to the server so they know exactly who the nullers and pirate users are and can pursue them legally..

I am 100% positive they won't share this secret though as the whole point is that you shouldn't know about it.

There are many ways to make nulling very difficult. The ultimate trick though to end up letting the nullers null the product but in a way that still calls back to the server so they know exactly who the nullers and pirate users are and can pursue them legally..

I am 100% positive they won't share this secret though as the whole point is that you shouldn't know about it.
Look through the code and you'll *always* find their secrets. Simple fact. Like I said- once I purchase the software, I'll go through it. If there is a 'back-door' or 'call-home' feature, I'll null it. Once purchased, it's my software and therefore, my choice. No 'call home' feature. No 'back door' feature. And these types of features would need to be publicly disclosed (if they exist, at least) I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom