ThemeHouse and Audentio Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laces do a darn good job at fitting, it slides around still but it fits to an extent y'know. Like if you fasten laces like you should, it provides the support to keep your foot still. Advice by the podiatrist ;)
Laces are useless if your toes are smashed..

Quick question.

If I were to purchase an upvote for the purpose of contributing to a particular idea, what happens if that idea never gets enough votes to develop it? Let's say two months go by, there's no sign development has started, and nobody else has expressed interest in it. Would I be able to get a refund on my contribution?
I think that should be OK. I don't know how we would build this so it could be automated, but it makes sense to me. As I said above, we could build some kind of banking system. Im just not sure if it will work, what if a lot of claims are withdrawn.

@Mike Creuzer

Idea Funding will require a funding deadline and full refund if funding not met to take off. People will not throw $30 in and wait indefinitely...
I think that could be done, sure. We will need to think of a way to organize the system. It may even be something we could open to other developers, it might help people's ideas to get funded.

By the way, if you want to complain about how you get paid here, everywhere in the world (well, I'm wrong on that but let's just follow in some general context like government jobs, etc. them football referees get paid a fortune, for example) is a bit underpaid. I also run a business in the Minecraft hosting industry. We can barely charge a few bucks for one GB of RAM in hosting, which is completely managed, offers a bunch of unique features and in fact what we provide behind the hood is some of the best in the industry. Even the big, big names can hardly charge much just because the average customer is a kid. We're talking 8-16 years old. They're less willing to pay but they want nothing but the best, the best hardware, the best panel, the best support with avg 5 minute responses. We're expected to do too much and provide little, but we manage it. Our profit margins suck on cost to product ratio, but we have a substantially large customer base and it pays off at the end of the day.

Is it worth it? Definitely not.

In comparison, being able to work at XenForo is much better. I'm living a dream here. I'm dealing with perfectly rational customers, I deal with professionals who want to run a board as a hobby or as a full time job. I deal with people who understand I'm not here 24/7. I deal with people who are prepared to pay a reasonable price for what they're getting. In fact, I deal with people who have half a brain cell and can follow instructions without telling me to do it for them or spoonfeed them. I would always explain in detail, but some people are just damn lazy. I deal with people who love what they do. And best of all, I love what I do. So this job is substantially better in comparison.

A lot of my ventures have been failures and successes. At the end of the day, I'm happy to do something I like for a fair price. It's a bit different for you if you have stomachs to feed, sure, mass expansion is a good way to manage what you're doing. But really you need to decide, are 8 employees necessary (prior to this point, anyway), is the profit to time ratio acceptable (it should be) and what can we do to increase it.

XF is a market in forum software. If XF isn't paying you off enough, then you best expand a bit and deal with IPB, vBulletin and a few other names.

Sorry to single you out, @DragonByte Tech, but damn guys look at this: https://companycheck.co.uk/company/sc397765/DRAGONBYTE-TECHNOLOGIES-LTD/summary

Woo-nelly... They ran for (over) a 4 year period. I dunno if they have an office. Now those stats are impressive. Taking all of it into account, I can see from looking here they had a struggle here and there. I think at the end of the day they're doing well for themselves. Add on all of the money that isn't accounted for there (;)) you could say they're doing well. I'm not sure how many employees they have either.

So yeah. Just goes to show, stick at it, develop your business plan, might be gettin' somewhere. Audentio isn't a small company, I'm aware of that. If you're not making enough, identify why. This is business, buddy, you said it yourself (in other words).

On the contrary, we are quite small with respect to web development companies as a whole.
I told a friend that I might start to do a few styles here and there and release them. He said, don't bother, Audentio and PixelExit run that area. They'd **** your ***. Couldn't disagree. Correction though, in comparison to other companies here, you're large ;). I bet that took work. You've ran for 7 years, I don't need to lecture anyone on the work it takes to get here.

Wow, we got real off-topic that I lost what my point was...

Sorry for the delay in responses, and if I missed anyone.
Which I wholeheartedly support! Goodness knows the number of devs I've dealt with in private for little things over the years, most of which never the light of day other than my own meanderings.

I still not sure though the attractiveness of what you're working on.

Is there a time limit being set for the funding? eg: "We need X people to commit to funding within Y weeks/months." or does it just go on forever? If after an amount of time not enough people join the pool for funding, and assuming nobody wants to buy additional votes, can those purchased votes be re-assigned to a different pool? Once the funding has been met is there a committed time window in which the funded item will be done? eg: "After the item is fully funded this change will be delivered in X weeks/months" or is it non-committal?

Sorry if those questions have already been addressed, I don't recall seeing the answers to them. I have no issues at all with what you're trying to do, I'm just trying to gauge whether or not participation as a 'funder' will ultimately result in action of some type.

We appreciate your support, @Kevin . Sorry for missing this response, and your post makes a lot of sense. My only issue is how we would build an add-on that would do this for you. Essentially automate payouts and stuff if you wanted the money back in your account. I dont know if that can be easily done.

Okay I wasn't aware of it addressing smaller feature extensions. But that's also not a big problem. You could categorize very clearly what a new feature costs and how many have to pay what. So for example: A "basic" feature costs 10.- USD and you will need 5 people to fund it. Meaning two can fund it for 25.- each and get their feature. Or 50 with 1 dollar. Or 1 with 50 dollar. The numbers are for example only. But it is a transparent way and customers can calculate the chances.

A good point, one we implemented today. You can now see at what percentage the idea is funded at.

Also, for your protection don't accept PP for something like this or you will end up funding the ideas yourself lol.

Well, we do plan on supporting other systems, but a stolen credit card is a stolen credit card. Comes with the business, one we understand.

Hopefully Mike & crew can work out the details as to how exactly the funding will work. I give them credit as they are trying something new in the community and I'm more than willing to donate to ideas that I like, especially for small stuff that a dev can knock out, but at the moment there are lingering questions that need to be resolved.

Agreed and thank you. Will do our best to figure it out.

Also, say I come up with an idea and fund it entirely myself. Do I own the product I commissioned or does TH?

Can we have an idea thread here, I'm very lazy and don't want to register elsewhere.

An idea thread here is a great idea, there are tons of developers that need the work. We are booked up and so this was our way to trying to pay attention to those smaller communities that still need work done.

In response to who owns the product, I guess it would depend on the terms. If you contacted us directly you could fund the feature and own resale rights to it. Our default price, specific to our company, is that we keep the rights to reuse code we write. So short answer is we would, unless you contacted us and funded it all yourself.

Good concept in theory. IMHO simple transparent solutions are always the best, which i cannot say that this is. KISS principle gets overlooked far too many times these days.

Not interested in participating myself- i can get simple modifications done myself for $30 via development parties rather than just waste it on a 'vote'. I wonder how many people would buy this to put the initial vote as its pretty much throwing a dart without knowing where the dart board is.

Good luck for the initiative. Hope it succeeds but have lots of reservations and would not be using this myself. Most good devs add new features for free to their paid software in consultation with the community that they support trying to make the addon consistently better which leads to greater demand. With this idea it seems like the the initial/original purchasers are relied upon to fund new features to making the product a more feature rich addon.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, I really do. We are just trying something new, and hopefully it will pan out. I am all ears to any suggestions.

What you should do is 1 token for $1. People can invest as many tokens as they like... Tokens must be bought in batches of $10 so you're not getting spammed by $1 payments on PayPal.

I agree on the $1 or at least cheaper. We were hoping for $10/$30, but then there are Paypal fees (30 cents per transaction, for example) and then there is also the fact that you'd need 100 people to perhaps fund something if everyone voted once. We figured each vote would matter more if it was a larger chunk of the total.

There are many devs who can perform simple development enhancements for that money. Heck ive had numerous full addons developed for less than that.

While this is true, its also true that different web developers charge different amounts. We are on the very far low end of a range that is about $80/hr to about $300/hr. Companies choose what they want to charge based on many factors. And again, freelancers will charge a lot less. We are not freelancers.

The idea of paying for votes is interesting, but it is too risky for me as a customer. It doesn't make sense to risk losing $30 for something I could have developed for $50 or $100. For larger projects, I'd want to see real passion about the project, not simply 'here's a customer suggestion that we'll build if we're paid to.' I'd want to know why you are the ones to make this happen and how you see the add-on growing in the future.

It's an interesting experiment though, and I'll be curious to see if it's a successful model.

I appreciate your opinion and understand your point of view. This solution is not for everyone. However, out of curiosity, would contribution price point would make sense for you per vote?

Even the big, big names can hardly charge much just because the average customer is a kid. We're talking 8-16 years old.

To be honest, a lot of our customers are quite young. We do not care at all what age you are, it is no more our business than anything else personal.

Is it worth it? Definitely not.
I love XenForo, I love forums. While I would agree, some of the slack we get sometimes is tough, we understand our customers want the best out of us and will push us. I get that. We are doing our best to offer that.

And best of all, I love what I do. So this job is substantially better in comparison.
Well you said it wasn't worth it? I mean I get what you are saying, its a love hate relationship :P.

XF is a market in forum software. If XF isn't paying you off enough, then you best expand a bit and deal with IPB, vBulletin and a few other names.

We love XenForo. We started out in IPB, and vB, but it was love at first sight with XenForo.

I told a friend that I might start to do a few styles here and there and release them. He said, don't bother, Audentio and PixelExit run that area. They'd **** your ***. Couldn't disagree. Correction though, in comparison to other companies here, you're large ;). I bet that took work. You've ran for 7 years, I don't need to lecture anyone on the work it takes to get here.

Wow, we got real off-topic that I lost what my point was...
lol! I could never agree with that, talent is clear when people see it.

People want quality work. If you join the market, I find people to be exceedingly complimentary and helpful, moreso than honestly most other webmaster forums, Ive never seen one better. The staff here is very helpful as well. Heck Brogan, Kier, Chris, all of them were super helpful in us getting started with moving threads, kindly pointing out our mistakes, giving honest feedback with the rest of the community. Our success here is due to the community first. We are better because the community has pushed us. If you start, no matter how 'bad' it might be, my first themes were terrible, you will find that the community here is always willing to help with bugs or suggestions. This is why we love XenForo and why we are still here, since day one.

I appreciate your opinion and understand your point of view. This solution is not for everyone. However, out of curiosity, would contribution price point would make sense for you per vote?

A credit system has been mentioned... that's what it would take for me to join in. Let's say I pay $30 for credits. If I put them towards a project that fails, then I wouldn't get my money back, but I'd get my credits back and could then vote on something else. I'd pay $30 for that because ultimately I'd get something for my money, it just might take a while.

I agree on the $1 or at least cheaper. We were hoping for $10/$30, but then there are Paypal fees (30 cents per transaction, for example) and then there is also the fact that you'd need 100 people to perhaps fund something if everyone voted once. We figured each vote would matter more if it was a larger chunk of the total.
Agreed but, I'd rather put $5 towards the goal than $30 into idea funding. Gotta think about what the customer would want, not just what you want. That's the success in the end. You can have something realistic which nobody uses = failure, or something less profitable (but still realistic) which is used = success. Ka-ching!

To be honest, a lot of our customers are quite young. We do not care at all what age you are, it is no more our business than anything else personal.
I don't record ages at Apantic, at (host name here) we'd have too many reports of children using their parents' bank cards and their parents chargeback the payment with their bank. It's damn annoying because we had to provide the service anyway and coincidentally they chargeback AFTER the service is used up. O', how I hate credit card companies. Our industry is honestly worse, I invite you to take a look one day.

Well you said it wasn't worth it? I mean I get what you are saying, its a love hate relationship :p.
Not that XenForo isn't, that Minecraft server hosting isn't. Dammmn, it's so bad. Really low cost to profit ratios, and we're expected to be robot zombies for the dirt lowest prices you can imagine. XenForo is heaven on Earth in comparison.

We love XenForo. We started out in IPB, and vB, but it was love at first sight with XenForo.
Sometimes to please the wife you need to fall out of your comfort zone ;) - I prefer XF too, that's why I'm here, but a team of 8 that needs more money best figure out ways to expand :)

Sorry for the delay in responses, and if I missed anyone.

Here's one you missed

Quick question.

If I were to purchase an upvote for the purpose of contributing to a particular idea, what happens if that idea never gets enough votes to develop it? Let's say two months go by, there's no sign development has started, and nobody else has expressed interest in it. Would I be able to get a refund on my contribution?

lol! I could never agree with that, talent is clear when people see it.
Oh, that's me screwed then. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, styling is something I want to learn but have *no* idea where to start. I tried to mess around with the nav and messed up the entire page layout. I'll work on it, somehow... I've lost all motivation right now. XF is really helpful, the team and the community helped me a lot throughout the months. I had a base with development though. Styling, not a darn clue.

On a more serious note, styling is something I want to learn but have *no* idea where to start. I tried to mess around with the nav and messed up the entire page layout. I'll work on it, somehow... I've lost all motivation right now. XF is really helpful, the team and the community helped me a lot throughout the months. I had a base with development though. Styling, not a darn clue.
The navigation is tough in XenForo, since there is a lot of markup. The toughest area, imo. Master that and the rest isn't so bad!

Here's one you missed
I think that should be OK. I don't know how we would build this so it could be automated, but it makes sense to me. As I said above, we could build some kind of banking system. Im just not sure if it will work, what if a lot of claims are withdrawn.
Im open to suggestions, in a technical way Im not sure how we could build it so you could get your money out of the system. But I think its a great idea, and Ill give it some thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom