The "I promise to buy a license, guaranteed" Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Floris

Yeah .. I had to go there

This thread is for those who hereby promise - regardless of pricing - that they will invest in a license within 3 months of it being released.

It's that simple. A guaranteed purchase, for whatever your motivation might be; because you want to convert away from product_x, or to support Kier/Mike, or because you want to just play with it.

Personally I do not care if you think 'I can not promise that, I need to know the price first', etc. It just means you can't make the promise. That's fine. We all differ.

Getting one for free does not count, obviously. I am talking about a solid investment.

I know a lot of people might get one, based on pricing, maybe will invest, if they can get it cheaper, or if they can get it for free, they might use it. But this thread is for those, like me, who already are convinced they will at least invest into one license, paying in full, and are willing to promise that :)

So are we allowed to post even if we don't promise or will we just get the short treatment too? :)

Although I'm loving what I've seen it comes to what works for my community. I'm not the best of coders so off the bat release if it doesn't have the features that I need for my community then I'll have to look for a freelancer to code additional things. That is what scares me in the end... I'm sure that eventually this software will catch up to the needs of my community but as of right now it's not there from what we've seen.

HOWEVER that's what we're all here for, bugs and suggestions :), not really to make promises on software we hopefully haven't even seen %70 of the features.

And technically Off-topic states non-XenForo related.

Very true.

Russ, I am not short to Floren because he posted otherwise than desired, but because he insulted me with a nonsense claim, which upsets me quite a bit. If you can't promise you will buy it, there's no real reason to post. Like I said, I don't care about the arguments as to why you perhaps currently can't make that promise. I am only interested in those who can make the promise. Apparently just looking for specific data is offending towards others and implies that I have other than good intentions.

I see you can't make the promise either, for whatever reason, like incomplete solution etc, I will write you down as a No as well. Thanks for your input.

Floris, I don't understand the use of this thread. In fact, I find it offending the part: Personally I do not care... It sounds like: If you are not into buying, go away from this thread, I'm not interested to read your opinion.

IMO, a proper way to do it is create a poll and even then, the results will be way erroneous, for a product that is not even released and has no specs produced to compare with other software. Personally, I think you are trying to hard to impress Kier and Mike.

Don't get me wrong, I support Kier & Mike and I'm one of the few people who knows how difficult it was for those guys to work with no salary for one year, while paying the bills like everyone else. Still, those type of threads are just gasoline for the flame mouths out there.
I fully agree with Floren . Mike and Kier are already working a lot and we all are supporting them. However creating threads like this will not help anything. XenForo will sell itself easily. Noone needs to give any promises at all.

But i'll definitely buy a license

Erm... no, I'm not going to promise to buy one, just in case the license turns out to be like $600 or something. "Well you promised!!!" But if it is reasonable, then absolutely yes I will buy one. :)

Floris, I don't understand the use of this thread. In fact, I find it offending the part
I find that there are some members of this forum who require additional direction or instructions on which threads are targeted at them vs. threads that don't apply to them.

There are already several threads speculating on the price of XenForo. Floris suggested that if you want to do that, you are welcome to use one of the other threads. He might not have used the politest terms, but he also didn't insult anyone.
Still, those type of threads are just gasoline for the flame mouths out there.
If he had started the thread as a poll, then trolls and flames would have started immediately, from people "explaining" that they won't buy it until they know what price it is. By explaining what type of response he was hoping for, he wanted to keep the thread flame-free. That didn't last long.

Erm... no, I'm not going to promise to buy one, just in case the license turns out to be like $600 or something. "Well you promised!!!" But if it is reasonable, then absolutely yes I will buy one. :)

No chance. They have already stated it will compete with IPB and vB pricing so thats the max you'll be paying.

I see you can't make the promise either, for whatever reason, like incomplete solution etc, I will write you down as a No as well. Thanks for your input.

Your original post stated "Personally I do not care if you think "I can not promise that"", and now you're recording who will and won't promise? If this is going to be a topic on xenfans then that's fine but there seems like there's more to this thread rather than getting unofficial commitments.

This thread is for those who hereby promise - regardless of pricing - that they will invest in a license within 3 months of it being released.
This thread has the ability to break a lot of promises. If the developers decide to make the software a thousand dollars a license, or even a million dollars a license,
Doctor-Evil.jpg

it'll obviously skew the results. "regardless of price"....Don't make a promises you can't keep. Look how many bought into the presale of vb4 and currently don't even run the code on their forums because of it's quality. Look at the list of sites owned by IB - and see how many of their own forums run their own vb4 software. (I'm not suggesting xenforo is the same as vb)

How many people do you think would look at other options if pricing were even double IBP or VB? (regardless of quality differences)

"Regardless of price", makes it sound like money is no option, and customers will pay any price put on the product.

No chance. They have already stated it will compete with IPB and vB pricing so thats the max you'll be paying.
In that case, yes, but that's not what the original post said:
Floris is saying he will buy a license even if it is $1000, and I am saying no, that's ridiculous. :)

EDIT: kforo beat me to the punch. :)

Well, so much for trying to have a fun post in the off topic forum, obviously my intentions are dark and malicious, trying to ruin everybody their time and forcing people to make false promises and trying to impress Kier/Mike into something.

I won't waste anybody their time anymore.

I though people in this community were excited about this product and not so anal about everything.
Imagine that, I am wrong about something.

I fully agree with Floren . Mike and Kier are already working a lot and we all are supporting them. However creating threads like this will not help anything. XenForo will sell itself easily. Noone needs to give any promises at all.

But i'll definitely buy a license
He had his reasons for the thread, and it would have been a -very- nice gesture to people who followed the original post.

You can believe what you wish, that he is trying to incite some flames or something similar, however Floris is one of the few who seems to truly care about this software, going as far to already setup many services that will go up for free, as well as what he had originally planned.

I find it hilarious however; none of you would allow the actions that have happened in this thread to happen on your site, yet you've done it here. Respecting the wishes of the OP is common courtesy, ignoring it is rude, insulting him is even more rude, and taking the post off-topic is also rude.

This is again another reason I get so disappointed in the admin community; many of you are a bunch of hypocrites. 

He had his reasons for the thread, and it would have been a -very- nice gesture to people who followed the original post.

You can believe what you wish, that he is trying to incite some flames or something similar, however Floris is one of the few who seems to truly care about this software, going as far to already setup many services that will go up for free, as well as what he had originally planned.

I find it hilarious however; none of you would allow the actions that have happened in this thread to happen on your site, yet you've done it here. Respecting the wishes of the OP is common courtesy, ignoring it is rude, insulting him is even more rude, and taking the post off-topic is also rude.

This is again another reason I get so disappointed in the admin community; many of you are a bunch of hypocrites.
As everyone else have a right to voice their opinion both me and Floren has our rights to voice our opinion. You may want to disagree with our opinion however you have no right to judge us because we voiced our opinion. Please feel free not to agree with me and feel free to voice your own opinion. But again you have no right to judge my opinion.

I think everyone needs to take a step back here and cool down a little.

Personally, I don't see anything inherently wrong with Floris' question of who would buy XenForo right now, based solely on what you have seen so far.

There are plenty of boards elsewhere on the web where you can attack each other for perceived reasons of sycophancy or whatever else, but I don't want to see it here.

If you believe that a post is bad or unfit to remain on public view, then report it and allow the staff to deal with it. If you simply disagree with the post, then reply constructively, stating the reasons for your disagreement without insulting the person with whom you disagree.

If you can't do either of these things, then don't post.

I, Ceri May do solemnly swear that I will be purchasing at-least one licence.

Which will be used for testing and developing, and if I like what I see I will then purchase more.

In our classified advert forums, if someone makes an unconditional offer of the asking price, they get the goods.
If they have any condition in the offer - if you can post today, if the asking price includes delivery, anything like that, it's not an unconditional offer.
What Floris wants here is an unconditional promise to buy.
I will be buying a xenForo license. I can state that because I know that despite the software looking expensive, it won't be. Plus the more wonga that goes their way, the more resources Kier and Mike will have to better the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom