The "I promise to buy a license, guaranteed" Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Floris

Yeah .. I had to go there

This thread is for those who hereby promise - regardless of pricing - that they will invest in a license within 3 months of it being released.

It's that simple. A guaranteed purchase, for whatever your motivation might be; because you want to convert away from product_x, or to support Kier/Mike, or because you want to just play with it.

Personally I do not care if you think 'I can not promise that, I need to know the price first', etc. It just means you can't make the promise. That's fine. We all differ.

Getting one for free does not count, obviously. I am talking about a solid investment.

I know a lot of people might get one, based on pricing, maybe will invest, if they can get it cheaper, or if they can get it for free, they might use it. But this thread is for those, like me, who already are convinced they will at least invest into one license, paying in full, and are willing to promise that :)

Although I won't be converting my forum to XenForo in the foreseeable future and don't have a purpose for it yet, I'll be buying a license as well. I'm deeply impressed by what I've seen so far.

Well, so much for trying to have a fun post in the off topic forum, obviously my intentions are dark and malicious, trying to ruin everybody their time and forcing people to make false promises and trying to impress Kier/Mike into something.
I won't waste anybody their time anymore.

I though people in this community were excited about this product and not so anal about everything.
Imagine that, I am wrong about something.

I'll answer this for you as best I can, but it's outside the parameters given.

If this had been ready/on sale this week, I would have bought it without a moment's hesitation, because I needed forum software for something specifically right now. Since it isn't quite finished baking yet, I wound up using a vB 3.8 license that was just gathering dust, but I'd still like to switch to xenForo down the road. The "when" won't depend on me, it'll depend on when the members of that forum are willing to up and switch again, but I'm nearly certain that once they play around with this they won't mind the inconvenience.

I've also been talking to somebody on a different forum about starting up something completely new with xenForo later this year (rather than buying it for that forum, which is the other possibility).

One way or another I'm sure I'll be buying at least one license, unless it costs $1000 or something, partly because I love it and partly because 3.8 will go EOL eventually and there is no freaking way I will ever buy vB 4.0 (sorry - not bashing, just stating a fact).

No he isn't.

Floris is clearly basing his statement on the fact that we have stated that XenForo will be priced competitively with vBulletin and IPB. A price of $1,000 would not meet this description.

With that caveat I'll be buying a licence. In fact I'd be happy to buy one right now.

As an owner and admin of multiple forums it's always useful to stay ahead of the game which is why I have at least one copy of all the major forum platforms. I guess you can take that as a long-winded promise.

Now about that suggestion for users to be able to self-delete their accounts... kidding ;)

Floris,

There's nothing wrong with "trying to hard to impress Kier and Mike" ... you are cheer-leading the product - that's a good thing. It's important to have people like you who go out of there way to promote xenForo.

You will always have someone who doesn't agree with how you do things.

Be positive - I noticed that when you become negative it really makes you look bad. Remind yourself that new visitors may read the one message where you were negative.

With that said, I'll be buying a few copies.

Floris, I don't understand the use of this thread. In fact, I find it offending the part: Personally I do not care... It sounds like: If you are not into buying, go away from this thread, I'm not interested to read your opinion.

IMO, a proper way to do it is create a poll and even then, the results will be way erroneous, for a product that is not even released and has no specs produced to compare with other software. Personally, I think you are trying to hard to impress Kier and Mike.

Don't get me wrong, I support Kier & Mike and I'm one of the few people who knows how difficult it was for those guys to work with no salary for one year, while paying the bills like everyone else. Still, those type of threads are just gasoline for the flame mouths out there.

Maybe it would wise for me to stay out of this, but -and I say this with all respect to you- can you understand that a remark like 'Still, those type of threads are just gasoline for the flame mouths out there' can actually exactly have the effect you want to prevent? Can you understand that a personally aimed remark like 'Personally, I think you are trying to hard to impress Kier and Mike' also comes across as not very helpful in this light? In fact, it can be seen as flaming...

I am fully aware that the use of the beautiful internet as one big con... and that is, that it is difficult in electronic communication to know which kind of feeling is put behind written words... so written words can come across very differently as intended. Reading Floris good intended and enthusiastic OP and your remarks it is clear to me that it is clearly a matter of a misinterpretation of his words. The fact that this in itself allows for personal attacks is something I have problems with understanding.

Maybe it would wise for me to stay out of this, but -and I say this with all respect to you- can you understand that a remark like 'Still, those type of threads are just gasoline for the flame mouths out there' can actually exactly have the effect you want to prevent? Can you understand that a personally aimed remark like 'Personally, I think you are trying to hard to impress Kier and Mike' also comes across as not very helpful in this light? In fact, it can be seen as flaming...

I am fully aware that the use of the beautiful internet as one big con... and that is, that it is difficult in electronic communication to know which kind of feeling is put behind written words... so written words can come across very differently as intended. Reading Floris good intended and enthusiastic OP and your remarks it is clear to me that it is clearly a matter of a misinterpretation of his words. The fact that this in itself allows for personal attacks is something I have problems with understanding.
Hi Grover,

I'm not a "personal" guy so a direct attack would not hurt me. Over the years, you learn to relax when someone says something direct to you, instead of exploding (like I used to do 20 years ago). Plus, Floris knows very well how I am, yet he got upset. From the little time I spent on these boards, I noticed his way of "running the show" into some of his replies and that is the reason why I was open and posted how I perceived his posts. It was not critical, it was just a public reflection of my thoughts. Personally, I think being honest is important and people who know Floris already have their own opinion about him, public or private, good or bad.

And yes, sometimes saying something in public is not humiliating at all, but rather helps you to realize certain "defects" you might have and want to get rid of them. If you read my post again, you will see that is actually a constructive advice.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom