tapatalk and security, convos, etc.

craigiri

I've read some of the other threads on tapatalk and security measures, etc. - but can't see to find definitive information on some things.

Do convos in taptalk go through the XF system exactly like convos in the browser versions? I ask this because some tapatalk users are often shown as "engaged in conversation" when it seems impossible that these particular folks convo that often. Also, many of my sneakier members in a recent mutiny seemed to run to tapatalk.

Does registration through tapatalk still go through the entire XF filters and spam tests? In other words, are countries banned (if I'm using an XF add-on, etc.)???

I have enough, although not a large amount, of my members using it that I just don't want to yank it all of a sudden. On the other hand, security is a big deal.

Are most of you turning off the ability to register through tt? Are you allowing the public (not logged in) members to use tt?

A rather concerning development I've just seen on the Tapatalk site, coming from @tommydamic68 - apparently one of his members was receiving alerts that were supposed to be for the admin user

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/member-receiving-administrators-alerts.20847/

Although it appears that they only received alerts, that did include ones for conversations and of course these include the conversation titles in them. So although it appears that the user couldn't read the conversation, the title was visible to them. This could be of concern if the title included the name of another user e.g. when reporting an issue.

Tapatalk supposedly have resolved this which was a 'server side issue' but this again raises the whole concern about security with the Tapatalk app and plug-in.

@Clickfinity and others may be interested to read this as they have had other concerns with Tapatalk recently.

There have been concerns about security with Tapatalk in the past and it was one of the reasons I didn't install it when my forums were on phpBB (Tapatalk refused to submit their app to the Mod team there to pass, citing various excuses such as it took the team too long to validate etc). I'm now beginning to wonder if there still are security issues and whether Tapatalk should remain installed on my Xenforo forums.

@Clickfinity and others may be interested to read this as they have had other concerns with Tapatalk recently.

Yes, I read that thread today - quite alarming if this has been happening.

I've been watching the recent developments at Tapatalk and they seem to be having trouble coping with the resulting discontent at their new TT4 roll-out (depricating the paid TT2 to an "ads-included" free version and lack of love for TT4 [which some believe should still be in beta]) and keeping on top of the myriad platforms they are trying to support <cynical>or include in their new content-hijacking paid advertising model!!</cynical>.

It remains to be seen whether they'll weather the current storm, but my personal discontent is with their business practices and their intent to monetise forum owners traffic via the free app. Despite the reassurances (which have now been deleted from their forum) I remain unconvinced that they will not molest my content so I'm seriously considering removing it from my sites.

It remains to be seen whether they'll weather the current storm, but my personal discontent is with their business practices and their intent to monetise forum owners traffic via the free app. Despite the reassurances (which have now been deleted from their forum) I remain unconvinced that they will not molest my content so I'm seriously considering removing it from my sites.
How is that a bad thing? Advertisers pay Tapatalk to keep that free app alive. While premium users are paying for the app itself to fund the company itself while they get more advertisers during the beta phase of this "ad-serving" model....

How is that a bad thing?

It's our site, our content, our traffic and our decision about whether to display ads to visitors/registered users; not Tapatalk's.

Tapatalk's app should be an interface into our site content and not a method of manipulating it for their [Tapatalk's] gain or to subsidise the development of their software.

I feel they should follow the same model as other app developers and release a feature-limited free version and encourage people to buy the full product by emphasising the additional benefits.

I don't think some site owners have fully grasped what Tapatalk appears to be planning to do, or if they have they are happy to allow it to happen - personally, I'm not. :cautious:

Last edited:
I'm with @Clickfinity on this. It's my site and I choose who sees adverts, not Tapatalk. As it is, I only show adverts to guests and not registered users. I also don't allow guests to use Tapatalk to visit the site. The way they are heading, they would be forcing my registered members who use Tapatalk free to see adverts and I simply do not want this.

Last edited:
I've took the decision to disable it on my site!

These are the number of errors that it's recorded in the last 6 months to my error_log file in the mobioqo directory!

Code:
# less error_log | wc -l

I am not a big fan of Tapatalk- however, if I made money on the ads my users see and use with Tapatalk currently, well, as long as it's not too annoying to the members I have no problem with the adverts...except, I have made literally pennies in the last year or so with their ads.

I love the offering of the mobile style and the look and feel and my members have grown to love it.

The problem is- I believe it would seriously hurt my users to remove it- they have come dependent on it.

Yes,
I know Xenforo has the responsive look and feel but it's just not the same. Just my 2 cents.

Mobile is the future In forums, no doubt, as well as the social media aspects that are created in these communities and the ease of mobile connectivity amongst members.

This is another reason why I'm glad it's gone. Each person using tapatalk is someone I can't account for in my Google Analytics, and is someone else who doesn't see my Google Ads, Skimlinks, and directly sold ad space customers.

This is another reason why I'm glad it's gone. Each person using tapatalk is someone I can't account for in my Google Analytics, and is someone else who doesn't see my Google Ads, Skimlinks, and directly sold ad space customers.
Is that a fact with Google analytics? Wow! I thought that might be effecting me! I recently compared last year to this year same month in Google analytics and I'm down about 200 unique visitors last vs this year for that month- I betcha Tapatalk is a good chunk of that!

If you use Branded Tapatalk you can use Google Analytics with it. I will be disabling the normal tapatalk app for all of my forums and only be pushing my Branded ones soon.

If you use Branded Tapatalk you can use Google Analytics with it. I will be disabling the normal tapatalk app for all of my forums and only be pushing my Branded ones soon.

Don't you need to pay twice though; a monthly fee for the Apple app and a second one if you want Android (or vice versa)?

I'm interested in the BYO program but cannot currently justify the expense.

Can users of your branded Tapatalk use it in a normal way - that is to say, to visit other forums?

Don't you need to pay twice though; a monthly fee for the Apple app and a second one if you want Android (or vice versa)?

I'm interested in the BYO program but cannot currently justify the expense.

Can users of your branded Tapatalk use it in a normal way - that is to say, to visit other forums?
$39 a month (if you do monthly) for both apps. I don't think the branded app can be used on other forums but not absolutely sure.

Last edited:
Yes it is $39 a month. If you have more than one site, after your first purchase, there is no setup fee and your first month is free for your next apps.

Yes it is $39 a month. If you have more than one site, after your first purchase, there is no setup fee and your first month is free for your next apps.

Thanks - so I'd need 8 x subscriptions for my eight forums?! :eek: That would definitely make it cost prohibitive at the moment.

Thanks - so I'd need 8 x subscriptions for my eight forums?! :eek: That would definitely make it cost prohibitive at the moment.

If I recall they offer bulk pricing if you contact them. I'd recommend just doing it for your largest forums or forums that you feel would benefit from a mobile app store presence. That is what we are doing.

Edit: I will get to meet Winter from Tapatalk this Monday. So I will be able to give you a bit more info on that.

Top Bottom