Tag Essentials [Deleted]

For categorized tags, is there a way to display all of the tags in-line when viewing a thread (saving the queries), but keeping the functionality in the tag search? Maybe via CSS?

For example:

Cat 1: "Cat 1 Tag"
Tags: "General Tag"

Would be how it was on in thread_view.

Tags: "Cat 1 Tag" "General Tag"

Basically I like the categories for organization, I just don't want to show them in thread_view :)

It may be possible to do it in CSS , but that wouldn't decrease the number of queries.

You might try disabling the following template modification:
View attachment 128188

I don't know if doing so will have negative consequences, but it seemed to work on my site when I toggled it just now. See also my next post.
This is accurate. I could potentially add a second option for categories that would control them being split/unsplit in the thread view (would effectively look like making this template modification change but would also save the query in the controller).

Daniel Hood updated Tag Essentials with a new update entry:

What's New:
  • Fixed the version of the javascript file. The old file was packaged with 1.7.0 which cause an issue with tags being displayed on the thread list.
  • Fixed an issue with two word tags not being suggested based on the thread title (example being "Conversation Essentials" wouldn't suggest the conversation essentials tag on xenmods.com).
  • Added an option to use the categories feature without the split display on the thread view. Disabling this option also allows...

Read the rest of this update entry...

First time I added tags to the user profile view page. It seems that the "previews" tooltip is failing to load. The tooltip does not popup and the browser console debugger gives the following error:

Code:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) https://www.xxxxxxxxxxxx.com/members/search-tags?tag=administrationpreview

tag name = "administration"

That's actually a user Essentials feature ;).
I know, there's getting to be an overlap in features in several of my add ons at this point lol

I just realized it when I was searching for the template... lol... ah... it's confusing... :LOL:
But nonetheless I thought that the preview feature is a tag essentials function and not a user essentials one? It seems the preview script does not work on user profile view tags...

Now am 100% in the right thread:

I am not quite sure how thread tagging works with automatically generated threads from RSS feeds and automatically generated threads from add-ons (like XFRM and many others for example).
I experienced tags automatically assigned to a thread when they were set up in the specific forum node and then I had threads that missed to have the same tags although they were assigned to that node.

How does it work, or better, what are the prerequisites to have automatic tagging working smoothly with system generated threads? There are so many parameters that might influence each other. Permissions do influence this too?

First time I added tags to the user profile view page. It seems that the "previews" tooltip is failing to load. The tooltip does not popup and the browser console debugger gives the following error:
Ah, actually I see the issue. It is the javascript of Tag Essentials trying to load the preview. I'll still probably make a change to User Essentials also in order to make them more compatible.

Now am 100% in the right thread:
lol :p

I am not quite sure how thread tagging works with automatically generated threads from RSS feeds and automatically generated threads from add-ons (like XFRM and many others for example).
I experienced tags automatically assigned to a thread when they were set up in the specific forum node and then I had threads that missed to have the same tags although they were assigned to that node.

How does it work, or better, what are the prerequisites to have automatic tagging working smoothly with system generated threads? There are so many parameters that might influence each other. Permissions do influence this too?
It's possibly a permission thing, it could also be that the tag doesn't have whatever node you're posting in as an allowed forum. The node tags that you're talking about can be erased by the user. The default tags just get pre populated into the tags box, there's still the possibility of the user modifying the tags though.

it could also be that the tag doesn't have whatever node you're posting in as an allowed forum

That's what bothered me... I had not done any definition of tags associated to any forum so far. In fact I ignored the forum list association in the tag editing form... and therefore I think it seems to have "worked" randomly or not... hmm... so you would propose to explicitly assign the tags to nodes every time?

That's what bothered me... I had not done any definition of tags associated to any forum so far. In fact I ignored the forum list association in the tag editing form... and therefore I think it seems to have "worked" randomly or not... hmm... so you would propose to explicitly assign the tags to nodes every time?
No, that shouldn't be necessary. Having none assigned makes it so all are assigned.

Having none assigned makes it so all are assigned.
That's what I sensed somehow but wasn't sure...

Examples:
  1. I have an RSS feed that puts every news in a separate thread in the assigned forum node. Then I had assigned a tag to that node. The initial threads had the tag assigned, later RSS news did not have the tag assigned. That was strange because I did not change the node after it was setup. But the first was while I was working on the forum and the rest of the news came over night, when the forum wasn't used at all (not launched yet).
  2. When creating a thread by creating a new item in a specific add-on, I also had no tags assigned to the thread although it was set up in the forum node before.

When creating a thread by creating a new item in a specific add-on, I also had no tags assigned to the thread although it was set up in the forum node before.
When you loaded the create thread page did you see the tags pre populated? If so, they shouldn't have disappeared when saving. If not, there may be an issue with the default tags feature.

I have an RSS feed that puts every news in a separate thread in the assigned forum node. Then I had assigned a tag to that node. The initial threads had the tag assigned, later RSS news did not have the tag assigned. That was strange because I did not change the node after it was setup. But the first was while I was working on the forum and the rest of the news came over night, when the forum wasn't used at all (not launched yet).
Is the rss feed posting as a guest or as a user? If guest, test it as a user. Analyze the permissions for that user within the node it's posting and see if they have permission to tag.

It is the automatic thread creation with the XF Resource Manger, so there is no preview of the thread. Whenever a resource is uploaded/created, the system creates a thread in a forum node to which I assigned "resource" as a tag.
Oh, yeah.. that doesn't work. It's not integrated like that with add-ons. The default tags feature is strictly a prepopulation of tags on the create thread page.

The default tags feature is strictly a prepopulation of tags on the create thread page.

ohhhh...... the same is then true for all add-ons that auto-create threads for "news"... Nobita Social Groups, XenMade Link Directory, etc.... :cry::oops: This would be a great "extension" of it to include in Tag Essentials... right? ;)

Wait a second... RSS feeds also do not pre populate... they are also subject to that then...
Well, you define those tags in the feed set up so it's not really the same. You're correct though, they will not get the node's tags added either, just the ones that are assigned to the feed.

Ahhhh.... that is like CSI:TAGS here...:D:cool: now it becomes clearer. I have had assigned the same tag to the node of the RSS feed and to the RSS feed itself... could it be that they cannibalize each other? I bet I first assigned the tag to the RSS feed, then it worked, later I added the tag to the node and then the Feed did not add tags anymore...

Last edited:
I believe the javascript got reverted from 1.6.2 to 1.7.0. I recommend disabling the display tags in thread list function for the time being until I release 1.7.1 (or go back into the previous version zips and find the correct javascript file).
I'm still getting the issue with displaying tags in the thread list (new-posts).
What's the full path/uri to the relevant javascript file please? - perhaps I need to purge it from CDN.

Top Bottom