[TAC] Stop Human Spam

[TAC] Stop Human Spam [Paid] 1.4.8

No permission to buy ($19.00)
There seems to be a wrong phrase in
Link-Post-Rules Message causing the Likes output to show the min. likes.

I have min. likes set to 3 and have no likes and the output is 3.

Not sure what the right one would be...

I'll look into this

Custom Profile fields isn't something I've used myself, it may need a little bit of work to extend it, is there no validation at all for custom profile fields, is it not possible to prevent links?

I'll look into this

Custom Profile fields isn't something I've used myself, it may need a little bit of work to extend it, is there no validation at all for custom profile fields, is it not possible to prevent links?

Ok, There is no validation as far as I know, I can use links / banned words and everything in there.
I use the custom fields to customize the registration form and gather some useful information from real users, also it's easy to see if It's a bot / spammer because they don't fill in the correct things.
Before I was using this add-on I was preventing users with less than 5 posts to edit their profile. But this was not user friendly and a lot of users got annoyed by that.

There seems to be a wrong phrase in
Link-Post-Rules Message causing the Likes output to show the min. likes.

I have min. likes set to 3 and have no likes and the output is 3.

Not sure what the right one would be...

Looking at this now, you're right, looks like a bug in the default settings

okay, that was a simple fix in the options, that should be like_count

Ok, There is no validation as far as I know, I can use links / banned words and everything in there.
I use the custom fields to customize the registration form and gather some useful information from real users, also it's easy to see if It's a bot / spammer because they don't fill in the correct things.
Before I was using this add-on I was preventing users with less than 5 posts to edit their profile. But this was not user friendly and a lot of users got annoyed by that.

Okay, that's a bit of a problem, since if it's a registration field, then it needs to be validated on registration (too?)

So, I'm looking at custom registration fields

and there are options in the core using reg-ex to prevent links

upload_2017-2-13_11-36-13.webp

More info on regex to detect urls can be found here:
http://www.regexguru.com/2008/11/detecting-urls-in-a-block-of-text/

Since this functionality is in the core, there is not a huge advantage to add it to stophumanspam

I believe I have purchased this add on, when I click on it -it brings me here to this page. I have version 1.3.3 - do I or should i update and how to I go about getting the updated file.

Thanks,

I believe I have purchased this add on, when I click on it -it brings me here to this page. I have version 1.3.3 - do I or should i update and how to I go about getting the updated file.

Thanks,
Sorry, never mind, I was able to download the file once logged into your site.

I had to disable Edit profile again for new users. Some bot registered and was able to put his url in his profile with 0 posts. It should not work because I only allow it from 5 posts. The weird thing is that I can't find any log entry about the user or ip.

Can you pm me the url, and screen shot of when this happened (also your shs settings), they shouldn't be able to do this, so at the moment I'm suspecting they did it before your shs installation.

If they did, this sounds like a sleeper (do you use fbhp, you would have picked up the user even if they came through as a human if you did)

Sleepers happens quite a lot, it's a good way for botter to keep their IP addresses clean
They register on forums, and keep doing it for a long while, until they reach a threshold

They don't do any spam work, then they wait for a particular day and start activating their sleepers
They do it sneaky, for such things as forum profiles (most admins don't check these regular), so they usually get away with it

It's still possible to add url's in the Location and Occupation field. So my request.
Just like the about you option.
Add a few more options for
- Turn On Link-Post-Rules For Location
- Turn On Link-Post-Rules For Occupation

Or you can group them together, I don't mind

They are not active clickable urls (they gain no weight) and leach no link juice ...

It's only the homepage url in the account area that turns into a clickable link... is this something more people would want?

upload_2017-2-16_11-14-3.webp

They are not active clickable urls (they gain no weight) and leach no link juice ...

It's only the homepage url in the account area that turns into a clickable link... is this something more people would want?

View attachment 148350
Aha, ok.
I didn't check the profile. So I didn't know that.
That's good. I will see if people behave themselves. :cautious:

I switched the update profile permission back off for new members.
They are spamming in every field they can. Even with the regex they still put their business name in there to get the citation. Citation is also a SEO tactic.
Disabling the update profile permission is the best way to prevent that, however it's annoying for legit users.

Why not DENY profile editing to newly registered members and use the usergroup promotion system to put them in an elevated usergroup after x posts or something? Would stop the spammers being able to add stuff whilst not restricting proper participants. (Although it would probably remove the visual 'signal' that someone is trying to spam).

Why not DENY profile editing to newly registered members and use the usergroup promotion system to put them in an elevated usergroup after x posts or something? Would stop the spammers being able to add stuff whilst not restricting proper participants. (Although it would probably remove the visual 'signal' that someone is trying to spam).
That what's I'm doing but new members mail me that they can't update their profile. I should make a FAQ but they don't read it anyway...

Top Bottom