Implemented [Suggestion] Sub forums placement

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It was like this initially, and rejected by users who didn't even realize they were there... (Also asked a few people and they wanted to see it on top.)

IMO should be placed underneath Discussions and messages. Atleast for me this should be located along a new line to keep the data clutter free.

Aesthetically speaking, I think so too. But as Mike said, when we had them there they were often missed by visitors, and various influential people told us that they must be above the thread list.

(Which is a pity, as I much preferred them below)

I think its because people are so use to other forum solutions that offer it above the thread list.

Also, with the sub-forum display on the main page, would it be possible to somehow make it standout from the rest of the line a bit more (Darken text), or to move it below that line?

As it is now, it blends to much to be noticed right away.

Is there an example of a sub forum anywhere?

I've looked but can't find one.

Edit: Just found it, was quite hard to spot on the main forum view.

I dunno, a down-pointing arrow icon means there is a menu of some sort...I'm always enticed to click/hover.

Most forums display them inline, rather then using AJAX to display them in a hover, which isn't a usability issue here, but having it blend in, or having it implemented vaguely could be an issue.

Just a small thing, but once again I love something you have implemented - the sub-forum roll over on the forum home is schweet.

people are talking about different things here

I hate the the sub-forum dropdown (placement/feature) when listing forums.

subforum-gif.308

If I, the admin, selects to show "subforums" 2 levels on forum listing please allow us to do so without a dropdown.

-----

For those talking about the subforum location within a forum...

bugforum-gif.310

Yes, having it at the top is the best choice. Not every visitor will scroll to the bottom of the thread list.

Keep this in mind...
if it's important place it above-the-fold.

Attachments

• subforum.gif
    subforum.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 302
  • bugforum.gif
    bugforum.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 216
Off topic

Can we please not say "every other forum software has it like........ ".
Think of xF as being new, different, cutting edge. We really don't want to be like every other forum software, do we??

/off topic

XF is very innovative, and I agree with your statement.

However, if XF is to different from other platforms, it can cause confusion for new users. I know my members had difficulty going from vB3 to vB4, and XF is much different from any other platform that I have seen.

For the most part, I like how everything is laid out, my problems are always smaller things that can -possibly- be an issue.

However, if XF is to different from other platforms, it can cause confusion for new users. I know my members had difficulty going from vB3 to vB4, and XF is much different from any other platform that I have seen.

Indeed.

For the most part, I like how everything is laid out, my problems are always smaller things that can -possibly- be an issue.
Of course there are going to be similarities in the core functions. That 's just natural I think. I just don't like basing suggestions on because every other software has this or that. Know what I mean? We want to be different!

Of course there are going to be similarities in the core functions. That 's just natural I think. I just don't like basing suggestions on because every other software has this or that. Know what I mean? We want to be different!

I'm just saying there needs to be a balance between innovation, and between user expectations.

Because most forums follow a clear cut guide to UI, XF should be -similar- in some ways, but should also innovate around that expectation (Which it does superbly).

people are talking about different things here

I hate the the sub-forum dropdown (placement/feature) when listing forums.

subforum-gif.308

If I, the admin, selects to show "subforums" 2 levels on forum listing please allow us to do so without a dropdown.

Agreed.

I looks aesthetically very pleasing this dropdown. But, I am afraid that my memberbase -and especially new users to my forum- will overlook the subforums if they are hidden behind a dropdown. I think that links like this should be directly available/clickable instead of having to click first on a dropdown.

Top Bottom