1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented [Suggestion] Read-Unread Thread Icons

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Umit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Umit

Umit Active Member

I loved the new thread view page and avatars there, however it may be confusing for users. How about to add read-unread icons? Please check example images below;

Or, can we do this easily with template manager?
  2. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I don't like this idea... It adds too much extra to the page... A suggestion that is floating around is that the avatar's become faded or even grey scaled when the thread it read... However I am almost sure you would be able to add this to the template system manually.
  3. Umit

Umit Active Member

Grey scaled is bad idea imo, would look confusing if member uploaded black-white photo of him/herself.
  4. Eric J.

Eric J. Well-Known Member

I think we'll be alright if it's left as-is.
  5. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

But it is only an additional indicator, the thread title is bold/un-bold as standard so doesn't really need additional identifiers but the profile pic being faded/greyscaled or anything else would add just that for you...
  6. Umit

Umit Active Member

Thanks for your answers Ceri, i do believe it is not a problem for young members like you but still confusing for old people.
  7. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

The star already shows whether or not a thread has new posts, as does the emboldening of the thread title.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The less icons, graphics and images the better IMO.

I prefer the uncluttered look.
  9. Mert

Mert Well-Known Member

The icons are old , we need to leave old habbits behind ;)
  10. DoctorWatsOn

DoctorWatsOn Well-Known Member

I am old, but I reckon the 'star' icon is clear enough, the bolded title is an added bonus.
  11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Preferably, instead of a start I'd rather have a little paper with a shine mark on it or something. Maybe it's just me but seeing a start did not automatically associate it with new posts right away.
  12. Umit

Umit Active Member

Wouldnt be better if we choose to have icons or not? :rolleyes:
    Or as i asked, can we do it easily with skin manager?
  13. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I think the emboldened titles are enough to indicate unread posts. IMO, the star image is unnecessary as well.
  14. Umit

Umit Active Member

Star image is the biggest confusion imo. New post? Or watched thread? Or thread that rated as 1 star?

I am not convinced that bolded text is enough too. How about something like this;

Forsaken likes this.
  15. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I kind of like that as an alternative.

What about if the icons were on the left of the title? Or would it be confused too easily with the avatars right next to them?
  16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I hope any icons are user definable.
    I prefer the clean, uncluttered look.

The star I agree is also superfluous, especially in the "Unread Watched Threads" view as only unread threads will appear.
  17. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If you mix read and unread threads, you get the title moving back and forth, which is something we wanted to avoid.
  18. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Ah yeah I didn't think of it that way.
  19. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Personally I find the vb statusicon system to be a less than useful bit of clutter. Most folks have no clue what they mean, and making site specific icons is a nightmare for graphic designers when there are sooooo many different values :eek:.

Almost everyone on the internet is familiar with the darkened/non-bold text indicating something old that they have seen, I tend to think that relying on that existing schema (in the psychology sense of the word schema, rather than the DB sense) is a better bet. It also has the side effect of being cleaner, less cluttered and producing faster loading pages :).

Obviously YMMV widely though, so as long as it's easily turned off whatever floats your boat is cool.

:: tosses two shiny coins in hat ::
  20. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Maybe for "you posted" the title could become Italic? Not sure if that was mentioned or a good idea worth a look I suppose. Referring to the thread display area this would be applied to.