Stay safe DigitalPoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... our politics have been so screwed up for a very long time. Totally off topic, but nearly $129 trillion in unfunded debt scares me more than anything really... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

If the US economy collapses, I already know where I'm going as my plan B (not like I'll see a dime of social security I've paid in... that's all gone). Remember when the Soviet Union was a super power with an economy "too big to fail"? :)
Yes I do. When the US completely fails (I don't see anyone invading it because everyone has so many guns) it'll probably break up into little states, just like the Soviet Union did.

Yes I do. When the US completely fails (I don't see anyone invading it because everyone has so many guns) it'll probably break up into little states, just like the Soviet Union did.
Yeah, I don't see the US getting invaded... citizens are pretty resilient. Not like people would sit still if tanks were rolling down their streets. Plus you have the whole logistic problem of how something like China or Russia would GET their troops/equipment to our soil.

I don't think the US would break up either though... but I think it certainly would be interesting to see what happens when the government is like, "Well, we don't have any money... fend for yourselves." In all honesty, I think the US kind of needs a painful thing like that anyway. So many citizens just expect the government to take care of them with all their entitlements and people don't really strive to do anything great anymore.

It's going to be crazy if the government gets to a point where they can't borrow money anymore... "Well, no one gets any retirement, social security or medical anymore... sorry all you guys who need it, I guess you're going to be living under a bridge."

Back to sort of the topic... no one wants to vote in any politicians who would be willing to fix the budget issues because that means people will stop getting things like social security. It's not sustainable to be borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars every year to pay the interest on the money they previously borrowed. Hopefully politicians will be able to turn it around, but not really sure how at this point... even if they did it, you would have riots and uprisings from citizens who no longer get their entitlements. If it ever comes to that point, I'll watch it from TV in another country. :)

Yeah, I don't see the US getting invaded... citizens are pretty resilient. Not like people would sit still if tanks were rolling down their streets. Plus you have the whole logistic problem of how something like China or Russia would GET their troops/equipment to our soil.

I don't think the US would break up either though... but I think it certainly would be interesting to see what happens when the government is like, "Well, we don't have any money... fend for yourselves." In all honesty, I think the US kind of needs a painful thing like that anyway. So many citizens just expect the government to take care of them with all their entitlements and people don't really strive to do anything great anymore.

It's going to be crazy if the government gets to a point where they can't borrow money anymore... "Well, no one gets any retirement, social security or medical anymore... sorry all you guys who need it, I guess you're going to be living under a bridge."

Back to sort of the topic... no one wants to vote in any politicians who would be willing to fix the budget issues because that means people will stop getting things like social security. It's not sustainable to be borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars every year to pay the interest on the money they previously borrowed. Hopefully politicians will be able to turn it around, but not really sure how at this point... even if they did it, you would have riots and uprisings from citizens who no longer get their entitlements. If it ever comes to that point, I'll watch it from TV in another country. :)
What we have going on now is a complete joke. People do nothing yet still expect to get paid. During the creation of this country we didn't have that kind of laziness permeating the atmopshere.

"Even governmental structures in the United States were influenced by native cultures. For example, Iroquois leaders became frustrated with trading with the individual colonies of the United States, so they urged Benjamin Franklin and other leaders to form one strong, centralized, representative government based essentially on the Iroquois model. Eventually, the U.S. adopted a model similar to that of the Iroquois, and even adopted the Iroquois Nation's symbol, the bald eagle, as the symbol for their own nation."

http://www.wisegeek.org/how-has-america-been-influenced-by-native-american-culture.htm

"Indian governments in eastern North America, particularly the League of the Iroquois, served as models of federated representative democracy to the Europeans and the American colonists. The United States government is based on such a system, whereby power is distributed between a central authority (the federal government) and smaller political units (the states)."

http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/native-american-contributions

Looks like the League had plenty of stuff to do on their own and took care of themselves. There was less distractions, less entertainment, rare communication with the outside world, people had to focus 0n the here and now in order to survive. The Republic (for which America stands) however, seems like a different story. I had a point I was trying to make but I'm falling asleep sorry gnite and good luck with all that you'll be alright. I'm just glad it's a short sentence, we'll miss you.

So what kind of things are you doing to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible with DP while you are away?

So what kind of things are you doing to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible with DP while you are away?
It's designed from the ground up to have no single point of failure to begin with you could pull the plug on multiple servers (any of them) and end users wouldn't notice. The servers that went in a year ago have had no issues (none have even had a planned reboot yet). These: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/new-server-hardware-for-the-geeks.2654797/

Mods are very good (some have been mods since the first month over 10 years ago).

There are only a couple things that actually require me (things like reviewing new ads [from Digital Point Ads advertisers]). So I'll make it so you can designate secondary accounts as as reviewers for any publisher site... Little stuff like that.

If something catastrophic happened (not sure what that could be really), you still have phone and people can email you. {shrug} honestly not worried about it though.

@digitalpoint i think he means also the moderation/support for forum, tools e servises...i see that you have not a big staff, have you asked someone to manage the community in your absence?

Digital had plenty of time to prepare for worst-case scenarios.
The plea deal was hammered out last October so not like it's some surprise.

And either way in the 19 years I've been running my own servers, I've always taken the approach that if anything ever needed human intervention from a server or site management point of view, how do we make it a non-issue going forward (as far as needing a human). It's all pretty autonomous by now. :) (also why a large staff was never needed)

5 months? Well think about it as a "global ban" from the Internet against you lol and hope to get you back online immediately after that period!

You rock man, best wishes to you during those 5 months! (y)

Well, Mr. Hogan can request to have a computer near him in a private area or something like that. I donno, but he can make requests like that.

One thing that is a little silly is that the thing I plead guilty to was 1 count (which works out to one advertisement seen by one user, which the total amount earned was $0). Of course it's about "intent" though, not actual monetary gain. Although you could never have gotten more than about $1.50 from that if the planets aligned in a best case scenario.

But what I think is *really* silly is that the crime was "wire fraud"... meaning you used a physical wire that crossed state lines. My servers were in California and eBay's servers were in California... so I guess legally you could do it all you want as long as the people you are showing ads to are in California... you would not be using a physical wire that crossed state lines (and therefore by definition not wire fraud). Not saying it should be allowed or whatever, just saying that maybe the laws should "protect" those in California too? :)

I find this entire thread a bit strange... giving a convicted felon your condolences.

Well, the convicted felon is an "internet acquaintance" of sorts to this community, and the felony he committed was nonviolent and really only hurt the bottom line of a big corporation as best I can tell. Do you expect everybody to condemn him?

Edit: Didn't mean this in a rude way, just explaining my perspective :whistle:

Last edited:
@digitalpoint -

keep-calm-and-watch-prison-break-11.webp

Well, Mr. Hogan can request to have a computer near him in a private area or something like that. I donno, but he can make requests like that.
He can also request to have ice cream after every meal.... but it doesn't mean he's going to get it.
I worked in the penal system for a "few" years so I do know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom