Therefore, I have decided to create an economic forum. The aim of the forum is to create a place where ordinary people can talk economics in understandable language and hopefully get real answers to economic questions in simple language.
The problem we hope to solve:
The more I study the subject the more I feel like it would be great if everyone could participate in the discussions on economics. There seems to be little open online discussion on the subject that anyone not already well-versed in the subject could participate in.Goals:
Primary:Is it unique?
- Create a friendly community of helpful people interested in economics
- Grow my own understanding of the subject by talking to others about it
- Influence the subject itself
From what I have seen there is no active economics-only forum targeted to the "average audience".
How will people find the community?
- There seems to be a lack of simple explanations of simple things such as a "Foreign-exchange reserves" or "the impacts of the velocity of money on an economy". Writing 1 paragraph explanations of these concepts could help further the subject and bring new people into the forum and hopefully the subject as a whole.
- Keeping these ideas personal but I have some other strategies I have used before that helped me.
How can I help?
I would be deeply appreciative if your help in the following areas:Values:
- Feedback: Am I right in saying this is a unique idea? Do you think it will work out? Any ideas you could contribute?
- Skinning: Is there anyone gifted in making forums look great who wants to be a part of this project? Put your name down here and message me.
- Marketing: I love marketing stuff but I know someone creative in SEO could help grow the idea.
- Moderators: If being a moderator on such a forum would interest you, check the spoiler*.
- Any domain name suggestions?
I believe life is a gift and it's our duty to give back. I want to work with people who want to work toward the common good.
Moderators & staff:
I would love help building this forum together with a passionate moderator team. Reply with the following if you can help:Payment:
- Have you moderated other forums?
- What kind of community/forum projects have you worked on before?
- Any skills we should be aware of (programming, graphic design, SEO etc.)?
I have already paid for everything! I have a Xenforo license and hosting.
I already run several forums. Economics is something I am studying personally and writing out simple explanations is a good way of learning in my opinion. This is not going to be a full-time endeavor for me.Making money:
Only if the forum gains significant traction will this be a relevant question. I could imagine adding a few ads to recoup cost and fund new addons. If the site takes off I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity to monetize and grow. Right now it's too early to talk about it.Record:
I have been making online communities for fun since 11 years old. I currently manage about 6 million Facebook fans on other topics. I am not new to creating communities BUT that means little in creating a new one in my opinion. Each community is different.
Questions? Comments? Advise? Feel free to share!