• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Speed up your Board /caching

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
Dave,
run this command : php -i | grep memcache

If it's installed you will get the ports, configuration and so on ....

What linux distro are you running ? there are easier ways but it depends on what you're running ...

type it in SSH?, I'm using Cpanel with CENTOS 5.5 x86_64

xcache/apc,... are opcode caches
memcached (and apc as seen in this presentation, didn't know this^^) are object caches

Check the link for more infos;)

Dave, if you're having issues, would you like me to have a look?

Yes please, but how can I contact you - I can't get memcache to install and the extention to load?

On my SSH it says this "Package(s) memcached available, but not installed."

PC whats that is it person conversation, wont other people be able to see it?

I am using file system caching, and I'm not really noticing a reduce in memory usage... Particularly, I am seeing similar memory usage, 1 less query on home page, and same queries on at least forum display, show thread, as well as new reply.
I wonder if the cache are being made use of to their fullest potentials yet, or if Kier and Mike will be adding more uses on them?

Following up on this, I am noticing / suspecting the File cache is not being hit as frequently as it should be. A LOT more code digging and tracing will need to be done to find out what exactly is happening. I suspect File cache is not being hit properly because after enabling File cache, and installing APC, I am NOT seeing the File cache entries showing up in apc.php under System Cache Entries. Modifying the config.php file to use APC backend cache and it seems to be working as intended. I am seeing the xf entries in apc.php under User Cache Entries. I am also noticing memory usage about halved, as well as a significantly faster load time. Switching it back to File cache does not introduce files in the APC System Cache Entries either.

This is question for the optimization experts, even though I suspect my google reading have probably gave me similar answers already...

On my dev test bed installations on different servers, I am noticing a lot of fragmentation on the APC cache even though it is not being used anywhere near its limit (shm_limit="32m", usage only around 10m). Should I worry about this, or is it safe to ignore?

Top Bottom