sonnb - Live Thread

sonnb - Live Thread 1.2.0

No permission to download
What does this do to server load?
If you are running on a very slow host, you should consider not to use it because it might get timeout when fetching posts (as other AJAX requests by XF also get).

If you have a big community with strong host, it is better for you for loading posts via AJAX rather than users refresh page to see something new.

At the last, it is depended on your requirement. If you need it, you would use it.

What does this do to server load?

We test it currently at one of our larger forums. We coded a cron feature which is starting "live threads" automatically once a certain configurable "post per time" threshold has been reached (we have it at 5 posts within 5 minutes in a certain thread). This code has been given to sonnb, maybe he will include it in future versions.

The server load is not at all a criteria. We don't see any change in our server load at all.

However we experienced a few bugs. Reloading old threads results in double posts (reloaded double "pages") very often which makes reading whole threads a real problem for users. Linking to hidden posts in a thread is not working. The automatically loaded posts are not recognized as "read", so the thread continues to appear in "What's New".

Once we have concluded the test, I will write all bug details to sonnb, hopefully he can scratch some of them out.

If you are running on a very slow host, you should consider not to use it because it might get timeout when fetching posts (as other AJAX requests by XF also get).

If you have a big community with strong host, it is better for you for loading posts via AJAX rather than users refresh page to see something new.

At the last, it is depended on your requirement. If you need it, you would use it.
So you're saying this is actually better than refreshing every few minutes or seconds to see new posts because it uses AJAX? If that's the case we will likely install this in the future.. preferably when all bugs are fixed. Thank you, sonnb!

Any way to get rid of the excessive notifications? Quotes are fine but getting a notice EVERY time someone replies is ridiculous when 100 people are in a live thread.

Any way you can change the branding to only show on LIVE threads? Right now it shows up on all threads, even ones that don't use the add on which I don't think is very fair. It also kind of confuses people that might be looking for who makes the cool add on, when they see it on a non live thread they might think it doesn't work.

Any way you can change the branding to only show on LIVE threads? Right now it shows up on all threads, even ones that don't use the add on which I don't think is very fair. It also kind of confuses people that might be looking for who makes the cool add on, when they see it on a non live thread they might think it doesn't work.
I will probably change it in the next version.
Any way to get rid of the excessive notifications? Quotes are fine but getting a notice EVERY time someone replies is ridiculous when 100 people are in a live thread.
Do you use Forum Watch addon? Same issue here with Form Watch addon: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sonnb-live-thread.45485/page-3#post-491912

Ah, I'm not using that add on. Hopefully we can get the excessive alerts dealt with though.
For the same thread, only one alert would be sent to you even there are hundreds of replies there, the new alert would overwrite the old one if unread. So, do you use any Watch addon rather than XF default?

For the same thread, only one alert would be sent to you even there are hundreds of replies there, the new alert would overwrite the old one if unread. So, do you use any Watch addon rather than XF default?
Nope. And my users still complain that they get constant alerts. Someone posted a screenshot in the test thread we had going. (It isn't live any more, but it was last night) http://bit.ly/17cRMrV

When a live thread gets big it seems to get kind of slow... any remedies? I have signatures turned off on them already...

When a live thread gets big it seems to get kind of slow... any remedies? I have signatures turned off on them already...
It might be fixed in the future. I am thinking about remove old posts from page if total of posts excess a limit. For example, if a thread has 1000 live replies, absolutely it would slow.

Will the slowness affect the rest of the site?

Also is there a way that if you start removing earlier posts, when the thread becomes nonlive to retrieve the removed posts? Like don't actually delete them, just display less than 200 at a time?

Will the slowness affect the rest of the site?

Also is there a way that if you start removing earlier posts, when the thread becomes nonlive to retrieve the removed posts? Like don't actually delete them, just display less than 200 at a time?
No. Slowness here is user experiences, not the server slow. For example: You are in a live thread, and in 5 minutes, it gets 1000 replies, so you would have on your screen 1000 posts (A) (very long to scroll in browsers), that is slow for your. If you refresh the page, it would not show 1000 anymore, it only show last 50 posts (or whatever you have configured in Options). Removing that I have mentioned mean instead show 1000 posts (A) it would remove earlier posts from your screen, not physically remove it, so it do not effect non-lived threads.

I still sorta vague on what this addon does; however, by looking at some of the posts it
appears to be somewhat popular; I did install it, but not sure what it really does, and since
I only allow limited backlinks I had to install the addon, maybe when my forum becomes
more popular, maybe then I can see what it actually does, and I am just not willing to
pay $50 for something that isnt going to do anything on a new forum, which I never
thought it was meant for a new forum, but wanted to see what the fuss was about....

Top Bottom