sonnb - Live Thread

sonnb - Live Thread 1.2.0

No permission to download
Can you describe the technical implementation of your add-on in a bit more detail, sonnb?
This addon would lessen, ads revenue, page views :)
...while increasing user interaction and participation. Anything that increases either of those metrics will also increase your site's growth and revenue potential.

Reactions: rdn
Can you describe the technical implementation of your add-on in a bit more detail, sonnb?

You configure interval for it fetches new posts, for each run it would save a check point and it only loads contents from that check point to current. That makes return contents is the lightest.

Alerts are going crazy with this addon.

If someone is watching a live thread . . . Dear god. An alert is sent out for every post.

Alerts are going crazy with this addon.

If someone is watching a live thread . . . Dear god. An alert is sent out for every post.
Hello,

It works as default XF behavior. Alert would not be sent if that user has an unread alert of a thread. So I am sure, if you are watching to thread X, you go AFK, thread X got 50 replies, you only get 1 alert. Only email would be send for every single reply, this is the same to normal thread.

Of course, we could have an option to not send out email/alert if thread is live.

Hello,

It works as default XF behavior. Alert would not be sent if that user has an unread alert of a thread. So I am sure, if you are watching to thread X, you go AFK, thread X got 50 replies, you only get 1 alert. Only email would be send for every single reply, this is the same to normal thread.

Of course, we could have an option to not send out email/alert if thread is live.

Actually while in live mode, people are getting alerts for every single reply because it counts as them rewatching the thread each time.

I have gotten 58 alerts from one of my live threads :<.

It would be nice to have an option to disable email/alert notification if thread is live.

Actually while in live mode, people are getting alerts for every single reply because it counts as them rewatching the thread each time.

I have gotten 58 alerts from one of my live threads :<.

It would be nice to have an option to disable email/alert notification if thread is live.
It is strange. I have tested with three accounts on my test board but have not noticed this issue. Rewatching state only be set/reset if you reply to that thread only, other user's replies cannot reset your state, and sending alert/email is handled by another XF class that this addon does not extend. Anyway, disable alert/email is a good option to be added.

It is strange. I have tested with three accounts on my test board but have not noticed this issue. Rewatching state only be set/reset if you reply to that thread only, other user's replies cannot reset your state, and sending alert/email is handled by another XF class that this addon does not extend. Anyway, disable alert/email is a good option to be added.

Oh I'm not watching the thread directly, I'm watching the forum using that one addon that lets you watch the forum.

But yes an option to disable alert/email is good.

Oh I'm not watching the thread directly, I'm watching the forum using that one addon that lets you watch the forum.

But yes an option to disable alert/email is good.
Now I see, it is because of two addons so would not be an issue with default XF watch. Thanks for your information.

I have addon isntalled, identified message area.. what is it supposed to be doing.. how to get it working??
If you have several members active in a thread (let say 10 members) and they are replying to thread in sequence, you would see it auto loads new posts that have been posted by others.

Question: After a set amount of time, a Live Updates thread converts to a "normal" one? In my testing so far, this doesn't seem to be working.

I'm going to threads long after the allotted time and they are still in Live Update format. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if I have something set improperly.

Also, say a thread converts back to the traditional one. Once someone starts posting again does the Live Update feature kick back in?

Question: After a set amount of time, a Live Updates thread converts to a "normal" one? In my testing so far, this doesn't seem to be working.

I'm going to threads long after the allotted time and they are still in Live Update format. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if I have something set improperly.

Also, say a thread converts back to the traditional one. Once someone starts posting again does the Live Update feature kick back in?

- It only be un-lived if that thread was not replied for a period.
- It would not be un-lived in Always Live Nodes (in Options).
- It would not Auto Set Live for thread as not everyone always need it.

Hello there,

thanks for the add-on ... i have a small question though :

We have 2 permission: Manage Live and Use Live
- Manage Live: Able to enable/disable Live function for particular threads.
- Use Live: Able to use Live thread advantage on Live-enabled threads

My registered members don't have the "thread tools" dropdown ... if i give them the possibility to "manage live", how can they do ?

thanks

Hello there,

thanks for the add-on ... i have a small question though :

We have 2 permission: Manage Live and Use Live
- Manage Live: Able to enable/disable Live function for particular threads.
- Use Live: Able to use Live thread advantage on Live-enabled threads

My registered members don't have the "thread tools" dropdown ... if i give them the possibility to "manage live", how can they do ?

thanks
Hello Pras,

Good question :). I think it does make sense to not give them Manage Live permission since they even cannot edit thread title (where "Thread Tools" dropdown appears).
This is quite important, if every thread is Live, I am not sure normal server could handle them as refresh rate is not benefit anymore.

Top Bottom