[SolidMean] ForumBackup

[SolidMean] ForumBackup 1.3.01

No permission to download
I have been using this addon as a simple backup scheduled solution. It works wonders and does the job well.

I noticed something while helping a client out with a feature failure on a forum of mine, and I want to offer an idea for either the developer of this addon or anyone that can figure it out a similar solution for me to implement.

The scheduled backup I love, I set it for the wee hours of the morning so as to not be too disruptive.

But I have had several complaints of posters creating their post while the backup starts, and then clicking submit during the backup, thereby loosing everything. It is problematic for any visitor who isn't aware of the scheduled time, nor maybe not noticing the time. The backup has also disrupted a couple of purchases on my site. This is how I finally figured out a simple(?) solution to this.

• Problem: Backup routine may inadvertently interrupt an ongoing process by a member, even potentially corrupting that users process. (posts, purchases, updates, etc)
  • Solution: Build into this addon, a method of forcing a warning popup on any open page in a browser, by a logged in member, giving a 5 minute warning and countdown of an impending backup that would temporarily take the site offline. Or some type of indicator with a notice.
OK, I figured out a cheap n easy solution. I just have a member only view and dismiss-able notice for the 15 minutes immediately preceding the backup, adjusting the milliseconds to zero for Display Duration and setting the time criteria. Of course members can dismiss it, but it is just a fair warning anyways.

Tested out and suits me fine.

It might work to create a notice a few minutes before the backup, and remove it once it starts.
I'll put in on the list of suggestions.

Hello,
I am having an issue where it fails to delete the old CODE backups.
Currently I have it set to 1 for testing this feature, yet several remain until I remove them.
DB backups are working fine. they are set to 7 and there is always 7 rotated down the line.
CODE backups on the other hand will stay and fill up all usable space until they no longer able perform due to space restrictions.
Looking for suggestions on a solution.

FYI, I do have them being stored on a secondary mounted HD with a symlink, if that matters.
Thanks.

Send me a conversation, and include the debug output of the database and code backup after it runs, and I'll take a look to see what's happening.

You can enable the debug file via the Miscellaneous tab in the add-on options, and it will be created in your backup directory.

Due the limited diskspace I have, I disabled the addon and its cron job but my server told me it is still running causing a major load at our end. How do we totally disabled that. I am running on Linux and I am surprised that uninstalling the addon doesn't work for us.

If you uninstalled it, it is no longer running, especially if the crons were removed.

You could remove the files from xfroot/files/library/SolidMean/ForumBackup to make sure.

@SneakyDave Can you add support Backup history and logs viewable from the Admin CP?

Example:

2-png.54390

Dave,

I have a backup folder in the root of the server and idk why I cant just put "/backup" into the path field. I also tried other folders with no success. Public/Private folders are placed in the root too.. its a dedicated server

You'll need to put the full path to the backup folder. /backup indicates that the backup folder is at the root of the file system. If that's what you want, the permissions on it need to be set accordingly.

When you say "it doesn't work", what error are you receiving?

If that info doesn't help, send me a conversation and we'll get it figured out

You'll need to put the full path to the backup folder. /backup indicates that the backup folder is at the root of the file system. If that's what you want, the permissions on it need to be set accordingly.

When you say "it doesn't work", what error are you receiving?

If that info doesn't help, send me a conversation and we'll get it figured out

Hello, its the root.. right ! I have the permissions set to 770.. Does it need to be 777 ?

Im getting the following error: Forum backup path doesn't exist

Hi, I'm getting this error:
Server Error

Database backup exists but has 0 length. Run again with debug enabled

SolidMean_ForumBackup_CronEntry_Backup::saveDatabase()
call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/Cron.php at line 357
XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Cron.php at line 213
XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Cron->actionRun() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 351
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/.../admin.php at line 13

The add-on has an option to enable s debug file to be generated. Turn that on, run the backup again (just the database) via the cron tasks, then send me the debug fr in a conversation. A 0 length database backup usually means a mysqlbackup option that isn't supported.

The add-on has an option to enable s debug file to be generated. Turn that on, run the backup again (just the database) via the cron tasks, then send me the debug fr in a conversation. A 0 length database backup usually means a mysqlbackup option that isn't supported.
Dave I just ran into this issue as well but even with the debug option selected i'm still getting the same set of errors:

Database backup exists but has 0 length. Run again with debug enabled

1. SolidMean_ForumBackup_CronEntry_Backup::saveDatabase() in XenForo/Model/Cron.php at line 356
  2. XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Cron.php at line 213
  3. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Cron->actionRun() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 351
  4. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  5. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/dressedw/public_html/admin.php at line 13

Top Bottom