[SolidMean] ForumBackup

[SolidMean] ForumBackup 1.3.01

No permission to download
If it's timing out, ask them if they can up the time out limit.

The process doesn't back up any more or less data than previously, but there was something put in place to separate the tar and gzip functions, that could have extended the process time.

If it's timing out, ask them if they can up the time out limit.

The process doesn't back up any more or less data than previously, but there was something put in place to separate the tar and gzip functions, that could have extended the process time.
I will call, not sure what to ask, not sure what changed...

It was working just before I updated....

I did a back up... then updated within a few minutes.. then not working?

Thanks

Depending on how old your previous version of the backup was, there might have been some changes in the way the code backup is done that might have added some time to the process.

Hi Dave here is last nights backup
the file says code.tar
but not code.tar.gz

So when I call GatorHost, what should I ask them to do about the tar.gz?

Thanks

1515061217062.webp

Here are last years backups

1515061526164.webp

Your .tar file isn't being gzipped to .tar.gz.

Did you enable the debug file? Looking at that after a backup attempt will tell you where it fail, or if there was an error such as file space. I suspect it is timing out during the gzip compression.

Last edited:
Bzip2 support, and follow symlinks are new features.

SneakyDave updated [SolidMean] ForumBackup with a new update entry:

01/21/2018: Version 1.3.01 (bugs fixed, compatibility, and new features)

- Fixed a bug in the admin template that PHP 7.1 was not playing nicely with.
- Fixed a bug with the options not displaying correctly for non-english installations.
- Added option to follow symbolic links in the code backup.
- Increased the maximum number of backup copies from 100 to 9999.
- Added Bzip2 support, See Miscellaneous options tab.
- New cron task to clean up any left over config files. Runs once a month.
- A notice will be displayed in the options if there are any orphaned...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Note: I don't have any ETA or plan to convert this to XenForo 2.0 yet.

There is now a message that will display while viewing your ForumBackup options if there are orphaned backup config files located in your backup directory. These are hidden files that are used to store your database credentials during the mysqldump.

Normally these files are deleted when the backup completes. If you see this message in your ForumBackup options page, then your backups are not running successfully. Turn on the add-on's debug file option to see why.

NOTE: Orphaned config files were found in the backup directory. These are cleaned up once a month, but their existence means that some backups may not completing successfully. Please check your debug file.

This message may appear quite often on shared hosts that kill long running scripts. I added this message as a way for admins to be notified if backups aren't successful.

There is new cron process in this version that will remove those orphaned configuration files the 1st day of the month.

There is now a message that will display while viewing your ForumBackup options if there are orphaned backup config files located in your backup directory. These are hidden files that are used to store your database credentials during the mysqldump.

Normally these files are deleted when the backup completes. If you see this message in your ForumBackup options page, then your backups are not running successfully. Turn on the add-on's debug file option to see why.

This message may appear quite often on shared hosts that kill long running scripts. I added this message as a way for admins to be notified if backups aren't successful.

There is new cron process in this version that will remove those orphaned configuration files the 1st day of the month.

I saw you say that you feel a different solution should be made for shared hosting accounts. But to be quite frank, the people that really need a reliable backup solution are sites which are a bit more established, they should already be running on a VPS. I have a dedicated server for example and I would prefer a proper, integrated solution which doesn't involve external hardware or software. How could you or another developer be pursuaded to finish the porting and perhaps some improvements given a dedicated environment?

I don't have any answers. I think creating the add-on as a xf2 CLI process would help. That way, it could be run from the server's Cron. But some shared hosts don't have access to the server cron, so that's another issue

I don't have any answers. I think creating the add-on as a xf2 CLI process would help. That way, it could be run from the server's Cron. But some shared hosts don't have access to the server cron, so that's another issue
Well thank you for your contribution anyway. If there was a Google Drive addon I would buy it. I installed the software last night and it seems to be working as expected. If you decide to revisit this myself and others may be willing to contribute toward that development time. Thanks again.

Hi, like your idea with this addon, but for some reason I'm having ZERO luck adding a path so I can backup my site. No matter what path I try it doesn't let me save.

2018-02-15_16-31-00.webp2018-02-15_16-31-22.webp2018-02-15_16-31-31.webp

Isn't there a way I can use Google Drive? I saw you added that, but no clue how to use it because that link won't work either?? Can you please help?

Google Drive isn't supported, sorry.

It looks as though you are on shared hosting. "/backups" would probably not be the absolute path to the backup directory.

It also looks like you have your backup directory in your forum root. That isn't a good idea, as each backup process would try to backup your forum root + your backup files, redundantly.

You might try putting the directory in your "private" directory, and then ask your host what the absolute path is to that directory. It probably looks domething like:
/home/someaccount/private/backups

Google Drive isn't supported, sorry.

It looks as though you are on shared hosting. "/backups" would probably not be the absolute path to the backup directory.

It also looks like you have your backup directory in your forum root. That isn't a good idea, as each backup process would try to backup your forum root + your backup files, redundantly.

You might try putting the directory in your "private" directory, and then ask your host what the absolute path is to that directory. It probably looks domething like:
/home/someaccount/private/backups
Thanks for the quick reply... waiting on host to get back to me. :(

I'm in need of restoring a backup. I'm getting errors creating a thread and i want to see if reverting the code portion of the backup will help the problem. What is the correct way to do this, can I simply restore the code portion and not the sql portion?

If you are getting errors then I would submit a support ticket to find out what they are about. A restore probably won't fix that.

But yes, you can use a utility to unzip hour code backup fileg (7zip and winRar work IIRC, gunzip on linux) and your code will be available in that unzip folder. Just copy those files back to your XenForo root directory

come here to check on any info if and when there will be an XF2 Version, i love this Addon, especially because it puts the Forum on Maintenance Mode if there is any ETA on the horizon let me know, i guess fewer manual backups will do till then too /forgets to do them

Top Bottom