So, Kier and Mike Mislead me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence

For the last 2 years they mislead me and they wasted my time. They released XenForo Alpha and I installed it. Worked Great, some bugs, but most of the discussions were either developmental or 'should this link be placed here or there?' as any bugs reported were quickly fixed.

After , I believe it was Alpha 3, they released the beta version. Some bugs, nothing major (again up to Beta 3, plus or minus... never came close to ten). Then came the RC releases.

As RC, XenForo was/is more stable than any forum software I have ever came across. 2 years later and it still is, 57 bug reports and 26 future bug fixes: 83 bugs? lol, wow, that is pretty much next to nothing. After 2 years and only 83 bugs?

So, where did they mislead me? Queries.

Their tutelage taught me that most add-ons that I created should not cause an additional query. Not one.

My Roster add-on has zero additional queries. I took the time and made sure there was not one.

What a waste of my time.

106 queries seem to be the standard.

I tried and I can not make my add-on generate 106 queries, no matter the options.

As 106 DB queries seem to be the standard now, I'm left with no choice but to create a loop that generates 106 queries... for well... no reason at all. But at least the query count will be up to the new "standard".

Sorry for this thread, but I can not get over this fact: 106 queries for, not just a beta release of a software, but beta 10? Wow. As an amateur coder I would be very embarrassed to release any add-on for XF that generated more than 3. If I was a professional coder... who is hired full time to do this... and was involved with a product that caused 106 DB queries, I would be asking myself if maybe I would be more suited working at McDonalds. Though I would probably be fired the first day, flipping a burger 106 times would most likely get one fired.

Is it me, or is 106 queries ok?

Kier and Mike, thank you for your guidance. 0 DB queries ;)

Why do I get the impression that you're confusing vB5's massive amount of queries with xenForo's amount of queries?

106 queries seem to be the standard.

Sorry for this thread, but I can not get over this fact: 106 queries for, not just a beta release of a software, but beta 10? Wow. As an amateur coder I would be very embarrassed to release any add-on for XF that generated more than 3. If I was a professional coder... who is hired full time to do this... and was involved with a product that caused 106 DB queries, I would be asking myself if maybe I would be more suited working at McDonalds. Though I would probably be fired the first day, flipping a burger 106 times would most likely get one fired.

Is it me, or is 106 queries ok?

Kier and Mike, thank you for your guidance. 0 DB queries ;)

You've hit it on the head, Lawrence- it is all about standards. Apparently some software and developers think this is acceptable and meets the standard. Me? Not so much...strikes me as putting an impossibly high load on the server if you use it in a production environment with even moderate usage.

The thing that is so worrisome, though, is the standards part. I am by no means a coder and much of the technical issues are lost on me. But, it strikes me that if someone thinks 106 queries meets the standard, then what else have they produced that is problematic or not well done? I would suspect quite a lot.

106 queries?

I remember when people complained about a previous version of a competitors software that generated an ungodly 46 queries... and they more than doubled it in this release. As a Newfoundlander would say: "Holy bejeesus, that's a yarn to be passed down to many future generations!"

Sorry, I can not get passed this, and no respectful coded would as well.

106 queries?

I remember when people complained about a previous version of a competitors software generated an ungodly 46 queries... and they more than doubled it in this release. As a Newfoundlander would say: "Holy bejeesus, that's a yarn to be passed down to many future generations!"

Sorry, I can not get passed this, and no respectful coded would as well.
Have you seen vB5? It does more than 106. So, this thread is rendered useless on thread creation. ;)

got-em-shadow3.png

Have you seen vB5? It does more than 106. So, this thread is rendered useless on thread creation. ;)

lol, I just took an average of all the posts that mentioned the query count.

So, if I worked at McDonalds, and I flipped a burger as much as there are queries, what you are saying is I would be fired?

If I was a coder, at a company that would release such a product, I would walk away.

lol, I just took an average of all the posts that mentioned the query count.
Every time I load a page on vb.com on vb5, I have to wait around 5 minutes just to load threads. THREADS! Try loading up a loginbox - 5 seconds delay.

gordon-ramsay.jpg

So, if I worked at McDonalds, and I flipped a burger as much as there are queries, what you are saying is I would be fired?

If I was a coder, at a company that would release such a product, I would walk away.
Yes, but you haven't seen bad until you've seen vB5. Mike and Kier are doing a fantastic job.
I believe Lawrence is referring to vB5 ...
I don't see it anywhere, I thought this thread was about xenForo; geared towards KAM. o_O

People are confusing me!

While a lot of the posts make me smile, I'm not entirely sure whether this thread and its replies are the best of ideas, considering the lawsuit and all?

Lawrence,

The thread title scared me. My initial thoughts were "oh no, not more drama, here, have a kitten", but actually, yeah you're spot on. To be fair, even though a beta should be better than it is, maybe they'll sort it out. But... 106 queries...

Ouch.

I have not referred to vB5, I never downloaded it, nor do I know what the actual query count is, maybe it is 8? This thread is about the standards Mike and Kier instilled in me.

But there is fact stating that there is a forum competitor out there that generates an averages of 106 queries, and that scares me.

106 (on average)?

And I wasted the last 2 weeks ensuring my add-on creates none. Was Mike and Kier right or wrong instilling this in me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom