So, Kier and Mike Mislead me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not referred to vB5, I never downloaded it, nor do I know what the actual query count is, maybe it is 8? This thread is about the standards Mike and Kier instilled in me.

But there is fact stating that there is a forum competitor out there that generates an averages of 106 queries, and that scares me.

106 (on average)?

And I wasted the last 2 weeks ensuring my add-on creates none. Was Mike and Kier right or wrong instilling this in me?
Going back and forth between the two official forums im getting confused as to what a query is? On another official support forum it would appear that Features is the new word for Queries

Going back and forth between the two official forums im getting confused as to what a query is? On another official support forum it would appear that Features is the new word for Queries
I think a query is when the software asks the database for some information when the page is loading. Hell if I know.

Yes you have, and your previous posts validate & confirm that. Have you ever thought Lawrence that some of us want a little normality back at xf? While a staff member who is suppose to represent XF posting what is clearly slating a competitor is downright pathetic. This will not fix the issues that a present here, nor will it in the long term fix this divided community.

While everyone expresses their loyality, XF the product is gaining a bad name for itself, this community is looked at as a free for all slating ground and by deviating from the real issues here by posting this thread bashing a competitor alot of people have truly lost focus what matters. Shameful. In some shape or form the bashing threads still persist and your now party to this.

Ashley, Mike and kier really need to get back here and salvage this excellent product because threads like this only gives it a bad name and I'm sure some of the people in this forum cannot agree that this thread is acceptable.
After reading this I just want to express that have absolutely no problem with it, vBulletin can do it too if they want. But instead they are doing much worse things to this company. But there's nothing shameful about companies and their staff making some fun of other company's products. It happens all the time, in most cases there's a good dose of humor involved, as is the case here.

On a more serious note, this company and its staff is being attacked by a bunch of incompetent and IMHO evil people, to a degree that severely affected their lives both professionally and personally. Obviously they would love to run this company the way it deserves to, but are not capable of doing so as unexpected events have prevented them from doing so. To make it sound like it is a selfish choice to neglect the business is unreasonable to me. The only rational attitude in a situation like this is hoping for the best and trying to stay positive yourself. One way of doing that is by showing support, and I know you are one of the people doing that.

Threads like this are innocent to me. There's nothing Lawrence can do about the situation with the management. It is what it is. He has to wait and see like everyone else. He feels that humor can help, and some satire directed towards a competitor that frankly deserves it, is not very worrying to me. Actually in many cases I find satire to be one of the more gentle and peaceful ways of dealing with an aggressor.

Of course you're absolutely right: this company and community needs the managers and staff to be active ASAP. So let's hope they will find the strength to continue and not stay passive for too long.

You read wrong.
simpsons-haha.jpg1.gif

Defending a company that does 106 queries.....

And then, not to be outdone, more embarrassing images by posters below you. ;)

I think a query is when the software asks the database for some information when the page is loading. Hell if I know.
lol i think IB is confused. ;)

They claim 125 features.. Yet i cant find more then 2 or 3.. So i was assuming they meant Queries.

lol i think IB is confused. ;)

They claim 125 features.. Yet i cant find more then 2 or 3.. So i was assuming they meant Queries.
I'm not even going to laugh at this anymore. Lemme look it up.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/query

noun
a question; an inquiry.
mental reservation; doubt.
Printing . a question mark (?), especially as added on a manuscript, proof sheet, or the like, indicating doubt as to some point in the text.
an inquiry from a writer to an editor of a magazine, newspaper, etc., regarding the acceptability of or interest in an idea for an article, news story, or the like: usually presented in the form of a letter that outlines or describes the projected piece.

verb (used with object)
to ask or inquire about: No one queried his presence.
to question as doubtful or obscure: to query a statement.
Printing . to mark (a manuscript, proof sheet, etc.) with a query.
to ask questions of.

query (ˈkwɪərɪ)

n , pl -ries
1. a question, esp one expressing doubt, uncertainty, or an objection
2. a less common name for question mark

vb , -ries , -ries , -rying , -ried
3. to express uncertainty, doubt, or an objection concerning (something)
4. to express as a query: "What's up now?" she queried
5. ( US ) to put a question to (a person); ask

[C17: from earlier quere, from Latin quaere ask!, from quaerere to seek, inquire]

Okay that didn't help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_query

A web search query is a query that a user enters into web search engine to satisfy his or her information needs. Web search queries are distinctive in that they are often plain text or hypertext with optional search-directives (such as "and"/"or" with "-" to exclude). They vary greatly from standard query languages, which are governed by strict syntax rules as command languages with keyword or positional parameters.

There are four broad categories that cover most web search queries: [1]
  • Informational queries – Queries that cover a broad topic (e.g., colorado or trucks) for which there may be thousands of relevant results.
  • Navigational queries – Queries that seek a single website or web page of a single entity (e.g., youtube or delta air lines).
  • Transactional queries – Queries that reflect the intent of the user to perform a particular action, like purchasing a car or downloading a screen saver.
Search engines often support a fourth type of query that is used far less frequently:
  • Connectivity queries – Queries that report on the connectivity of the indexed web graph (e.g., Which links point to this URL?, and How many pages are indexed from this domain name?).

Didn't help either.

Ah here we go. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_database_query

Best Answer

A database query is a piece of code (a query) that is sent to a database in order to get information back from the database. It is used as the way of retriving the information from database

A database "query" is basically a "question" that you ask the database. The results of the query is the information that is returned by the database management system. Queries are usually constructed using SQL (structured query language) which resembles a high-level programming language.

The term 'query' means to search, to question, or to find. When you query a database, your searching for information in the database. Different query languages exist for different type of databases. MS Access uses SQL, which stands for Structured Query Language. MS Access contains Tables, Forms, and Queries. The Forms are used to enter or display the data, the Tables are where the data is saved, and the queries are used to search for specific data.

An example of an query can be this:

SELECT DISTINCT Agent FROM QAMonitoring ORDER BY Agent;

The query searches the 'Agent' field from the QAMonitoring table and sorts the list by last name. There are plenty of MS Access DB forums on the net for more info and help.

If vB4 and vB5 is asking that many questions then their mascot should either be a monkey or a cat.

Curious George.

Curiosity killed the Cat.

I wonder what mascot would apply to xenForo?

The wise old owl?

Yes you have, and your previous posts validate & confirm that. Have you ever thought Lawrence that some of us want a little normality back at xf? While a staff member who is suppose to represent XF posting what is clearly slating a competitor is downright pathetic. This will not fix the issues that a present here, nor will it in the long term fix this divided community.

While everyone expresses their loyality, XF the product is gaining a bad name for itself, this community is looked at as a free for all slating ground and by deviating from the real issues here by posting this thread bashing a competitor alot of people have truly lost focus what matters. Shameful. In some shape or form the bashing threads still persist and your now party to this.

Ashley, Mike and kier really need to get back here and salvage this excellent product because threads like this only gives it a bad name and I'm sure some of the people in this forum cannot agree that this thread is acceptable.

I never referred to vB 5 in this thread.

What I did was quote a fact that is released around the internet: 106+- queries.

I really can not get passed that this is acceptable.

Can you please search XF (and really all the web as well), and post the link(s) to where I bashed, not only vB, but any company?

Odd, how after a year where I had little time to be here I was quickly forgotten as being a part of the staff... I make a post complimenting Mike and Kier on their standards, and then some turn it into a competitor bashing thread and say it's inappropriate from a staff member to post it.

Well at least I am acknowledged as still being staff...

Though, with that said, 106 queries? I wish I was a honey-badger as then I would not care, but I am not, and I can not get passed this.

Man, Dre, you're so determined! :)
I don't know much about programming etc. To me this thread is the equivalent of walking by a bunch of nerds at the school lunch table laughing at their friend's expensive calculator (vB5) because their own calculators were hand-made, less expensive and required less maintenance. But I'd like to think I can join in on the fun because I've had one of those calculators before (vB4) and can really appreciate what Xenforo's done for my site so far.

I don't know much about programming etc. To me this thread is the equivalent of walking by a bunch of nerds at the school lunch table laughing at their friend's expensive calculator (vB5) because their own calculators were hand-made, less expensive and required less maintenance. But I'd like to think I can join in on the fun because I've had one of those calculators before (vB4) and can really appreciate what Xenforo's done for my site so far.
I understand. :) We are all doing the same.

I know this was meant to be fun but I don't think it was a good idea.

The thread title LOOKS LIKE it's accusing the XF owners of being dishonest.
Since they are being sued for fraud they didn't commit, which has been very destructive, I don't think suggesting in any way they have "mislead" anyone is a good idea. There is no tone of voice here and it took quite a few posts to get it clear that this WAS a joke.
Lawrence is a nice guy and it was an onnocent well meant mistake. But to me, a mistake.

Secondly whether it was meant to be aimed at the main competitor or not, it was obviously going to be assumed it was. Again that is unwelcome right now in the current tensions.
When I first joined XF and I think for the first year there was a very dignified attitude to the main competitor. There was a policy not to run them down. It was OK to say XF does ABC which is better than other software. But *****ing about another system by name is ugly and does XF reputation no good. *****ing on another admin forum, OK, but not here.
I wish we could return to that policy. Obviously it's MUCH harder top do that after two long years of being under attack. But heroism and dignity shows up when the going gets hard. When it's easy it means nothing to act well.

Call me a sour old puss if you like! But I value dignity a lot and I really liked the way XF policy used to handle this awkward area.
Now that the owners are so tired, and on the last gritty stretch of their hero journey, this is a good time not to throw up yuck about their competitor, creating drama.
Let's stick to supporting KAM with humour and patience and dignity and courage - all those boring things.

One day what we write now will be part of the Story of XF: the Early Years of Persecution.
So each post NOW could be part of a historical record when we say - I was there when XF was really up against it and we all stuck together until that stupid awful court case was trashed. Those were the days ah me, those wre the days.
XF is still the best just as it always has been even though KAM are old and grey. The younger generation have NO iedea what it was like.
Do you remember that fantastic post by Aaaaa as we waited for the case to come up in 2012? wait I'll search it out ....

Great theory except vB is still using a abacus.
abacus-made-in-the-fifties-last-century-and-the-modern-calculator.webp

I cannot actually believe what I'm reading in this thread. No one has a sense of humour about anything anymore.

Morgain, it didn't take a few posts to realise Lawrence was joking. It's patently obvious as soon as you read his post that it's a joke and in no way a serious criticism of KAM.

As for so called "vB bashing". Really? There was a hell of a lot worse vB bashing in what I'd like to refer to as the vBashing thread. And besides. The so called bashing is based on fact.

And, in context, this wasn't a direct bashing at vBulletin anyway and the beginnings of a potentially useful discussion that didn't have to focus on vBulletin at all. But now it does so that's another thread down the pan.

I cannot actually believe what I'm reading in this thread. No one has a sense of humour about anything anymore.

Morgain, it didn't take a few posts to realise Lawrence was joking. It's patently obvious as soon as you read his post that it's a joke and in no way a serious criticism of KAM.

As for so called "vB bashing". Really? There was a hell of a lot worse vB bashing in what I'd like to refer to as the vBashing thread. And besides. The so called bashing is based on fact.

And, in context, this wasn't a direct bashing at vBulletin anyway and the beginnings of a potentially useful discussion that didn't have to focus on vBulletin at all. But now it does so that's another thread down the pan.
What other forum softwares does the 106 database query joke apply to?

Well, like I said, it made me smile - but I don't think it's a good idea to have it here. It's obvious Lawrence is joking, which is fine. But his topic is also a rather direct reference to vB, and everyone knows that. I think this kind of stuff could easily end up being used against KAM, and I'd prefer that not to happen. Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps it's overreacting. However, I've seen worse things I didn't think possible, and I prefer not to find out whether I'm right about this.

That's all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom