XF 1.4 Sitemap XML

XenForo 1.4 includes a complete and extensible implementation of the Sitemap XML standard, allowing for optimised indexing of your site by search engines.

for like SEO and stuff...

Watch on Vimeo

As always, please don't post suggestions in this thread, but rather use the appropriate suggestions forum.

Is it possible to adjust the timing of the sitemap generation - to nudge it an hour or so this way or that? I already have a lot of cron tasks running in the early hours (UK time) and it would be good to be able to move this one around to a time that best fits with everything else. (y)

It's triggered by a cron task, though the cron task is "owned" by the XenForo add-on so it will get reset by an upgrade.

1. Will this generate every page of a thread, or just the base thread URL?

2. sitemap.php .. does this means that it needs a mapping in .htaccess to work?

3. If the thread can be seen, but the thread content cannot, would the URL end up being included?

4. Any support for Custom Urls for those addons that lag into implementing the handler themselves? http://xenforo.com/community/resources/sitemap-for-xenforo.67/update?update=2090 (I'll push a separate suggestion for this)

5. To get with the times, an Image Sitemap is a good idea

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/178636?hl=en

This is used by XenMedio Gallery (I guess they can implement that themselves in the handler, assumming they can funnel any amount of content to the xml and not just the url, date and priority)

This can be used by the regular sitemaps if it were to include the attachments in a thread for example.

1. Will this generate every page of a thread, or just the base thread URL?
Base only.

2. sitemap.php .. does this means that it needs a mapping in .htaccess to work?
There is no requirement in the spec for particular URLs. If you submit a sitemap to the search engines, you have to give the URL to it; if you put it in robots.txt, you have to give a URL to it. It just has to be in the particular directory.

3. If the thread can be seen, but the thread content cannot, would the URL end up being included?
No, because it fails canViewThread.

I can't speak for XenForo, of course, but I would find it unlikely that there would be any Resource Manager code built into this new feature. If they were going to support the Resource Manager, I would expect to see that code in a post-1.4 Resource Manager update.

I can't speak for XenForo, of course, but I would find it unlikely that there would be any Resource Manager code built into this new feature. If they were going to support the Resource Manager, I would expect to see that code in a post-1.4 Resource Manager update.
I tend to think along the same lines...it was pointed out in the video that the system was pluggable so it just kind of makes sense that they would use that feature/ability while leaving actual RM stuff isolated from the core of xf.

Quite right... it would be redundant code otherwise...

This is great! I've been hoping for this for a while now. I'm wondering, though, is there a node option to exclude certain nodes/forums from the sitemap?

Top Bottom