Should I leave cpanel? General server optimization

Correct, you rent the web server software from LiteSpeed.

Which then drops into your server and takes over from Apache, (and the drop in support is what you're paying for basically so you dont have to make new vhosts or learn new rewrite rules etc).

What does it basically grab the existing configuration under Apache and build it's own config off of that...and for that matter if it is the case does apache stay in place not running and just share its config?

Basically yea, it just kicks apache out the way and takes over like for like, but doing so with a lot higher performance. You can literally flip between apache and litespeed at the click of a button instantly.

That seems interesting, is this a newish feature? I probably would have tried this out last year when I was server experimenting had I known.

Been that way for a while AFAIK. Only thing that's kept me from using it is NGINX works for me and I don't really need the "perks" of the GUI interface.

I'm also a little confused about how to budget for Litespeed.

I already pay over $200/mo for the current server. I guess I could see about downgrading a little and using some of that $$ for litespeed.

It just depends. You have to budget appropriately for the traffic you receive. If you don't need 16GB of RAM, for example, you might be able to cut back on that. If you don't max out your CPU, maybe there, hard drive, etc. A lot of people have WAY more server than they actually need.

When I got started in the hosting industry 20 years ago, we would host 500+ accounts on a Pentium IV with just a couple gigs of RAM. Things have obviously changed a ton since then, PHP-based sites, database-heavy sites, etc., but you would still be amazed by what some of these new servers can do. A lot of times, the servers people buy are simply overkill for the traffic they receive.

When I got started in the hosting industry 20 years ago, we would host 500+ accounts on a Pentium IV with just a couple gigs of RAM. Things have obviously changed a ton since then, PHP-based sites, database-heavy sites, etc., but you would still be amazed by what some of these new servers can do. A lot of times, the servers people buy are simply overkill for the traffic they receive.
+1.. totally agree these days a 5 generations older single quad core E3-1230v1 is already as fast as the ancient dual intel xeon 54xx/55/xx processor setups and even those old Xeon X34xx series and those ancient processors were able to handle 100,000s of unique visitors/day depending on LAMP/LEMP stack setups and web apps used.

You need to ask what is happening and why it is happening.

Is it hung on php requests?
Is it hung on static files?

What sort of errors does awstats show? And on what pages? Are users getting blank white pages?

Pierce

I already pay over $200/mo for the current server. I guess I could see about downgrading a little and using some of that $$ for litespeed.
You don't have to rent, you can also owe a license and pay a yearly fee to keep receiving updates.
I would do the following instead of you:
1. Install Liteapeed 14 days trial (free)
2. Run it for 7-10 days
3. Analyze server resources. Liteapeed cuts CPU usagel, so you can save quite a lot on that. If you configure your other server resources the right way, you can also save on RAM and SSD. I don't see any reason to pay $200/month on a server with the amount of traffic you showed above.

I would advice contact @MattW. He offers server optimization services in a very affordable price, so he can help you to sort your server problems.

Top Bottom