1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I leave vBulletin?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Paul Gowder, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

I'm trying to decide on what to do with my forum. I realize this may be a biased crowd since I'm posting on a xenForo forum, but...

I'm currently on vB 3.8.
    www.powwows.com/gathering

It's a pretty large vB install with 70k+ users.

My first question is what large sites are running xenForo now in production?

I've considered moving to vB 4x but I hear mixed reviews. Any experiences here with moving from 3,8 to 4?

Our Pow Wow calendar is integrated into vB to pull user info. How difficult is it to do that same type of integration with xenForo?

Thanks!

2. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

Please stay away from vB 4. It's just not good. I know you are being put between a rock and a hard place with v5 looming around the corner and v3.x being ready to be phased out for coverage, but v4 is just so broken. I am not saying XF would be the best for you - that's up to you. But I can say v4 probably is not what you want.

EQnoble and Rob Fritz like this.
  3. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

vBulletin 5? Wow, hadn't heard about that.

Thanks

4. Edrondol

I'm trying to find the posts on vB.org/com that talked about this but as I no longer have a license my access is restricted.

I did find that there's a Twitter account by vBulletin called vBulletin 5. Right now it says:

vBulletin 5

@vbulletin5 El Segundo, CA
    This is not my time. Follow @vbulletin4 instead.
    http://twitter.com/vbulletin4

5. Edrondol

Found a couple of posts about them. The first is a screen print from October of 2009:

vB_com.png

The second is an OFFICIAL post from Fabian. This was posted in this thread and was dated 16 August 2010. The pertinent part reads:

They've also stated that once v5 comes out all support for v3.x will be going away.

6. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

Stay on vB 3.8 as long as you can, and be looking at replacement scripts not controlled by IB.

---MAD--- likes this.
  7. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

Is it too naive to hope/wish that vBulletin 5 will return vBulletin to dominance?

I have a major coding project underway right now to work on our Pow Wow Calendar. The calendar uses vBulletin users for permissions to add/edit events. So I need to decide quickly which direction to go.

Anyone do any user integration of xenForo to 3rd party or other custom scripts?

Thanks!

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

9. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

With every major version you will have to repurchase your vBulletin license, before Bob Brisco controlled the forum software your license was an owned lifetime license with a small yearly maintenance fee, the later is the licensing model Xenforo uses, so you are able to maintain your investment, with IB you lose it all.

10. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

11. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

12. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

13. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

Can you expand on that? Has it been settled?

14. steven s

The question was should I be concerned?
    We will know more Feb 7.

15. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

What happens on that day?

16. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

Does anyone have links to large sites running xenForo? 1 million posts+?

17. steven s

18. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member

Yes, I'll take a look.

19. steven s

20. Paul Gowder

Paul Gowder New Member