Should I leave vBulletin?

Paul Gowder

I'm trying to decide on what to do with my forum. I realize this may be a biased crowd since I'm posting on a xenForo forum, but...

I'm currently on vB 3.8.
www.powwows.com/gathering

It's a pretty large vB install with 70k+ users.

My first question is what large sites are running xenForo now in production?

I've considered moving to vB 4x but I hear mixed reviews. Any experiences here with moving from 3,8 to 4?

Our Pow Wow calendar is integrated into vB to pull user info. How difficult is it to do that same type of integration with xenForo?

Thanks!

There are two lawsuits, one in England and another in the California courts, I'm sure Kier will make announcements when something substantial happens, they are not trying to hide anything.

vB5 already? lol I remember we were all saying that would be the system they'd use when 'you buy a number series, you get free lifetime upgrades for that number series!' lol Looks like they're on pace for the new numbered series every 2 years...

I realize this may be a biased crowd since I'm posting on a xenForo forum, but...
Yep, thats exactly right, you will get a biased reply. IB/VB are not exactly popular in these parts ;)

Do you have a specific reason to want to move from 3.8 to 4.x ?
If not then you are probably better off simply staying as you are.
If your site is in anyway customised, it could be quite a big job moving to vb4, and an even bigger job moving to anything else.

Please stay away from vB 4. ......but v4 is just so broken.
Im sure you love XF and hate IB/VB whatever, but to say its "so broken" is simply not true.

I´m also trying to sell my vb 4 suite license, but´s easier to sell a rotten apple (the fruit;) )

Im sure you love XF and hate IB/VB whatever, but to say its "so broken" is simply not true.
True. Easy to use and to configure. Still a few things missing but its still no gold. lots of enthusiastic Coders around. Lots of users helping, also if you ask sometimes to much :D
I am running a very small side but the import from vb is worth every bit. All i can "say" is... You will love it

Reread my first post. I specifically stated I did not know if XF or any other software was for them. Yes, I love XF. I even have a strong liking for vB3.x. And I regretted every day going to that inferior software labeled vB 4.

Reread my first post. I specifically stated I did not know if XF or any other software was for them. Yes, I love XF. I even have a strong liking for vB3.x. And I regretted every day going to that inferior software labeled vB 4.

Vb3x wasn't always what it was cracked up to be. 3.7x 3.8 lines were bitterly disappointing and didn't bring anything beneficial to the table. Whilst prior to 3.7 (which I found were the good builds) since 3.7 the glory days of vbulletin stopped there.

We all enjoyed our time at vbulletin, it was a great piece of software but developers move on, who have adapted to future technologies and wish to pass that onto their member base which brings me to xenforo.

vb3 is the past, the glory days for that piece of software ended a long time ago but we shouldn't become emotionally attached to what was then a nice product which is now outdated. 2 pence worth.

Please, all you vB bashers !!

vB 5 will be quite a value, just watch and see !! :rolleyes:

PS: I bet the pricing will be right too !!
tongue.png

Look, I'm not going to tell you VB in bad, XF is good. That's sales and marketing crap.

I would simply suggest that you look at the level of innovation in the you see in XF in a short period of time and compare that to the the last two years of VB releases. Which strikes you as more inovative? Which makes you believe it can deliver new features in a timely fashion?

One of the things I do for my customers is technology evaluations based on projected five year roadmaps. Last year, I had a client that had the option of a 3-year technology refresh of basically the same technology, just a later generation, for roughly $30 million or they could go in a completely different direction at a cost of $58 million, experience the pain of technology migration, but increase their overall market responsiveness and lower their long term operating costs. They chose the latter, even though it was doubel the cost, but made back that extra capital expense in under one year from operating budget savings and over the next two years, they'll get a return on their investment.

I used the same type of analysis with XF. It doesn't have all the add-ons that VB does, but its core is much more solid. Without getting into the coding details, they are going to be able to bring extended functionality to market much faster than VB will. In my humble, but experienced estimation, within 5 years, XF will significantly erode the VB install base. Thats coming from someone who had VB licenses for over 9 years.

Make up your own mind, but don't make it based on loyalty and emotion. Remember, your loyalty isn't to VB, or XF for that matter. Its to your community. And here's the most important thing, they aren't loyal to you but rather to their internet experience. As it evolves, you need to evolve. In the 90s, I ran several Wildcat BBBs (dating myself now) and we had large, vibrant, loyal communities. These were even local, with people getting together off the BBS. And they don't exist anymore, because the internet evolved, how people used it changed and the BBS couldn't adapt.

Inovation is a two-edged sword.

Does anyone have links to large sites running xenForo? 1 million posts+?

This thread has a few links to large sites. One of them is RunUO.

Also several large boards are in the process of developing their customizations for XF. You would see many more large XF sites in the 6 months.

Also I agree with Paul, unless there is urgent need, stay on vb 3.8. Don't upgrade to 4 or move to any other platform unless there is a community need. Also waiting may prove extremely worthwhile as 6 months down the line XF would have evolved far more features and addons.

Look, I'm not going to tell you VB in bad, XF is good. That's sales and marketing crap.

Yep! I let the product speak for itself. I know I had some minor compliments over the years when I'd jump from, say vB 3.0 to 3.5, etc. (most of which were for new features our members had stumbled across), but nothing like I've had for XF. The users really like the clean layout, the useful GUI and the speed.

I agree completely with what you said: we're choosing something for the community. If I had more funds available, I would get at least one more XF license. Our "big board" vB will probably remain at its 3.8 version for awhile--we tried vB4 in our private testing forum, but nobody really likes it that much. I dislike the new licensing scam arrangement so much that I will probably just keep 3.8 patched and running until that forum dies off, which thanks to the forum owner, is where it's headed. I feel ripped off after upgrading to vB4, even at the presale price.

One of my moderators runs a very small but active forum himself, and he was really gung-ho behind bbPress until he got his hands on our new XF...so now he's taking up a donation drive to get it for his members as well. I don't want to say the forum sells itself, but Kier and Mike put as much thought into usability as they did the advanced coding, and once you've used it, you see how much easier everyday tasks are. Lately I'm in and out of the admin control panel in less than a minute to adjust something; in vB, I'm having to poke around for awhile before I can find what I want. I've had only the most basic of questions from members as well--they've had no issues whatsoever getting around. Very intuitive.

Top Bottom