Should I leave vBulletin?

Paul Gowder

I'm trying to decide on what to do with my forum. I realize this may be a biased crowd since I'm posting on a xenForo forum, but...

I'm currently on vB 3.8.
www.powwows.com/gathering

It's a pretty large vB install with 70k+ users.

My first question is what large sites are running xenForo now in production?

I've considered moving to vB 4x but I hear mixed reviews. Any experiences here with moving from 3,8 to 4?

Our Pow Wow calendar is integrated into vB to pull user info. How difficult is it to do that same type of integration with xenForo?

Thanks!

If you want to know my decision (and I have hold it off for months): I am beginning to convert my sites from vb to Xenforo. The reason? The user experience is so much better and this this gives me a competitive advantage over other sites. Even if this only would last for two years.

Of all the sites with similar interests as the ones I'm creating and using XF for, none of them have anything this advanced. The ease of use and speed advantage are two things members are commending us for, and they enjoy using the XF system because it lets them read and post quickly, and with minimal distractions.

I need that little bit of an edge to get ahead and make a name for our sites, before others try to leapfrog what we're doing.

I am in the same boat and you have to make a decision. Nobody here can make the decision for you.
If you want to know my decision (and I have hold it off for months): I am beginning to convert my sites from vb to Xenforo. The reason? The user experience is so much better and this this gives me a competitive advantage over other sites. Even if this only would last for two years. Two years are a long time in the Internet age.

If there would be not Xenforo available I would have converted to IPB. Not as nice as Xenforo but they have plenty of options available and at least it works.
Can you send me links to some of the ones you have converted?

When will xenforo be gold? Is the lawsuit slowing that down?
Not at all...as far as I can see it is development as usual. It is merely going through the stages that in my opinion are necessary for this to be released at a time when they are comfortable stamping their (Mike and Kier) names on it as a 1.0 release.

Top Bottom