Should I leave vBulletin?

Paul Gowder

I'm trying to decide on what to do with my forum. I realize this may be a biased crowd since I'm posting on a xenForo forum, but...

I'm currently on vB 3.8.
www.powwows.com/gathering

It's a pretty large vB install with 70k+ users.

My first question is what large sites are running xenForo now in production?

I've considered moving to vB 4x but I hear mixed reviews. Any experiences here with moving from 3,8 to 4?

Our Pow Wow calendar is integrated into vB to pull user info. How difficult is it to do that same type of integration with xenForo?

Thanks!

Please stay away from vB 4. It's just not good. I know you are being put between a rock and a hard place with v5 looming around the corner and v3.x being ready to be phased out for coverage, but v4 is just so broken. I am not saying XF would be the best for you - that's up to you. But I can say v4 probably is not what you want.

Please stay away from vB 4. It's just not good. I know you are being put between a rock and a hard place with v5 looming around the corner and v3.x being ready to be phased out for coverage, but v4 is just so broken. I am not saying XF would be the best for you - that's up to you. But I can say v4 probably is not what you want.
vBulletin 5? Wow, hadn't heard about that.

Thanks

Found a couple of posts about them. The first is a screen print from October of 2009:

vB_com.webp

The second is an OFFICIAL post from Fabian. This was posted in this thread and was dated 16 August 2010. The pertinent part reads:

And for my final point ...
  • “What about vBulletin 5?” vBulletin 5 is underway. I wish I could disclose what it contains because I think it will be very cool and ground breaking. But I can not share with all of you yet what vB5 is. I am so tempted!! Yes ..you can call me a tease.

They've also stated that once v5 comes out all support for v3.x will be going away.

Is it too naive to hope/wish that vBulletin 5 will return vBulletin to dominance?

I have a major coding project underway right now to work on our Pow Wow Calendar. The calendar uses vBulletin users for permissions to add/edit events. So I need to decide quickly which direction to go.

Anyone do any user integration of xenForo to 3rd party or other custom scripts?

Thanks!

With every major version you will have to repurchase your vBulletin license, before Bob Brisco controlled the forum software your license was an owned lifetime license with a small yearly maintenance fee, the later is the licensing model Xenforo uses, so you are able to maintain your investment, with IB you lose it all.

Top Bottom