Resource icon

Setting up a local server environment...

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
Nice job.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Is a capital D in Windows 8.1 (not sure on other versions)

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Also, I end up with save failed errors, please check if this file is opened in another program and cannot recall how to fix this issue. Maybe you could add that information ;)

Nice job.

Also, I end up with save failed errors, please check if this file is opened in another program and cannot recall how to fix this issue. Maybe you could add that information ;)

Which file, the hosts one? I never got that issue...

Nice job.

Windows has never been concerned with case. Doesn't really matter if you type a d or D.

Windows has never been concerned with case. Doesn't really matter if you type a d or D.

Thank you. I did not know that.... Used to being careful due to linux :)

Update: Turns outs NTFS is case sensitive but Windows turns it off to emulate MS-DOS case insensitivity. Cool stuff.

Last edited:
Used to being careful due to linux :)

Yup. While noticing stuff like that is a good thing for Linux users, the underlying OS with Microsoft products have never been case sensitive. Even going back to the MS-DOS days, case was never an issue.

Reactions: LPH
I use Mac, so MAMP doesn't suffer these slow issues that Windows versions do... you get that true localhost experience via MAMP out of the box.

LiamW, this is a very useful guide.

I experienced the same issues with XAMPP and WAMP. Was getting page loads of 1 second or more instead of the expected 0.1 or less when working locally.

My solution was to use Zend Server Free. I haven't tried Zend Server 6.1 yet, but I'm very surprised to see that it now includes nginx so the next time I do a complete restore, I will be trying it out.

But either way, any version of Zend Server worked perfectly for me.

Still, good guide. Thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: rdn
Anybody using this setup for production site?

OR

Any reccomended WAMP pack or build for production site?

Anybody using this setup for production site?

OR

Any reccomended WAMP pack or build for production site?

This setup is what you would get on a production site normally (although the root passwords would be changed).

Thanks for the guide.
However, I cannot get 127.0.0.1 to display anything, I get a 404 page not found error.
I have followed the instructions and following a reboot I navigated to 127.0.0.1 and had the IIS splash screen displayed.
Disabled IIS, rebooted and now 127.0.0.1 gives the above error.

@Liam W Any ideas ?

Many Thanks
AR

Top Bottom