• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Setting up a local server environment...

Liam W

LPH

Nice job.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Is a capital D in Windows 8.1 (not sure on other versions)

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Also, I end up with save failed errors, please check if this file is opened in another program and cannot recall how to fix this issue. Maybe you could add that information ;)

Liam W

Nice job.

Also, I end up with save failed errors, please check if this file is opened in another program and cannot recall how to fix this issue. Maybe you could add that information ;)
Which file, the hosts one? I never got that issue...

Biker

Nice job.

Windows has never been concerned with case. Doesn't really matter if you type a d or D.

LPH

Windows has never been concerned with case. Doesn't really matter if you type a d or D.
Thank you. I did not know that.... Used to being careful due to linux :)

Update: Turns outs NTFS is case sensitive but Windows turns it off to emulate MS-DOS case insensitivity. Cool stuff.

Last edited:

Biker

Used to being careful due to linux :)
Yup. While noticing stuff like that is a good thing for Linux users, the underlying OS with Microsoft products have never been case sensitive. Even going back to the MS-DOS days, case was never an issue.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
LiamW, this is a very useful guide.

I experienced the same issues with XAMPP and WAMP. Was getting page loads of 1 second or more instead of the expected 0.1 or less when working locally.

My solution was to use Zend Server Free. I haven't tried Zend Server 6.1 yet, but I'm very surprised to see that it now includes nginx so the next time I do a complete restore, I will be trying it out.

But either way, any version of Zend Server worked perfectly for me.

Still, good guide. Thanks for sharing it.

Ark Royal

Thanks for the guide.
However, I cannot get 127.0.0.1 to display anything, I get a 404 page not found error.
I have followed the instructions and following a reboot I navigated to 127.0.0.1 and had the IIS splash screen displayed.
Disabled IIS, rebooted and now 127.0.0.1 gives the above error.

@Liam W Any ideas ?

Many Thanks
AR