1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Seems like there are to ways to set permissions for moderators?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by BitBiz.io, Jul 16, 2014.

1. BitBiz.io

BitBiz.io Member

The first one is here, after clicking "make moderator" in users profile

2. BitBiz.io

BitBiz.io Member

the other one is here after selecting
    User Group Permissions: Moderating

so, which one I use and what's the difference?
    I want to set global moderators, and if possible not to set each ones settings one by one but at once.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

One is the user, the other is the user group.
  4. BitBiz.io

BitBiz.io Member

so if I configure the user group, i just set the user to be that user group and I"m done right?

and the other option is if i want the different super moderators to have different privileges or?

which one overwrites the other?
  5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Permissions are cumulative, but you don't really need to touch the user moderator permissions when making moderators unless you are making content moderators.
  6. BitBiz.io

BitBiz.io Member

I'm not sure I understand how they can be cumulative in this context

also by user moderator permissions do you mean the first or second screenshot?
  7. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Not entirely accurate...

Basically if you want all of your super moderators to have the same moderator permissions, make them a moderator and add them to the moderator user group where you have set up your permissions.

If for some reason you want some super moderators to have just certain permissions, then you could assign those permissions individually in your first screenshot. You would also use these individual permissions for any forum moderators that you create, as these permissions will then only apply to the forum that you are allocating them moderator status to (unlike the moderator group which gives the permissions across the whole forums).
  8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

That's what I gathered from playing around with permissions.

If you have a forum that has super moderators and sectional moderators, set everything you want super moderators to have in the user group permissions if you want them all to have the same permissions. Then for sectional moderators, don't give the user group any moderating permissions and instead set them in the node permissions. The same thing could be applied if you only have one moderator user group, but want each moderator to have different permissions.
  9. BitBiz.io

BitBiz.io Member

thank you all, it's more clear now
    if I have set a user at both places the group ones or the individual one have priority?
  10. Brogan

Permissions are cumulative.

Neither one takes priority.
  11. BitBiz.io

BitBiz.io Member

what happens with conflicting ones?
    you set yes on one place and no on the other for the same action?
  12. Brogan